Keen to teach in Thailand, worth the plunge and where to look?

CR12

Hi all. I travelled to Thailand two months ago to teach for an NGO and had a pretty torrid time (the set up bore all the hallmarks of a cult!). After leaving them I moved to the south and spent a few weeks backpacking before heading back to the UK. I'd really like to return to the south (preferably around Krabi) and teach, but there seem to be a lot of people suggesting it's not an enjoyable job, and most of the positions I find online are through TEFL companies that want hundreds of pounds for placing me.

I turned 30 this year, and have the last spent two years working in the commercial side of the international school 'industry'. I'm educated to Masters level (though not in education) and have a TEFL but no teaching experience which seems to be the biggest obstacle I'm finding. With that in mind, if anybody can provide me some pointers on where to look, somebody to contact etc I'd greatly appreciate it!

Chris.

Fly in to Bangkok, then get a connecting flight to Udon Thani. Rent a motorbike and ride in a North Easterly direction for about 1.5 hours.

Pull up inside a school. Wait for hundreds of kids to start milling around you and then eventual a teacher will come over and attempt to communicate with you.

Tell him or her you want to teach at the school.

Work at the school for the first year while building contacts in the area you want to work down south.

Move once you have located a desirable position.

Kiss goodbye to your career back in the west.

Always wear a condom.

Some tips:

You seem well qualified academically so you should have no problem finding a job, even given your lack of experience, but be prepared for something modest by way of a first teaching job while you find your feet.

Under no circumstances pay a placement fee; it is totally unnecessary and in some cases fraudulent.

I'd also urge you not to take a job sight unseen. Do not believe assurances given by agents, schools, colleges etc without being wholeheartedly satisfied that what they say is true.

Use all the usual online resources - ajarn.com, tefl.com, dave's esl cafe etc to search for a job, but don't make irrevocable commitments without a look-see.

There is really no substitute for meeting people face-to-face and seeing the workplace in person, so if you are set on teaching in Thailand, make arrangements to come with enough money to live for a few weeks and months without an income while you search. That will lessen the pressure on you to take just any old job.

Good luck.

If you are 30 and have masters, why waste your time in Thailand?

Only if you can land a well paid job at a good international school it may be an option, otherwise you'll be struggling on 50K Baht or less a month at rather high cost of living.

High cost of living?? I don't think so.

Chris,

although you have a Master's and have worked in a non teaching role in the education industry, you are not a teacher. You have no education degrees, no teacher training and no teaching experience.

Of course, many people want to come and live and work in Thailand. But going into teaching to fund that etc is not the right way round. Would you be able to walk into a teaching job in the UK? If yes then fine. If no, then why would you expect to in Thailand.

Perhaps become a qualified experienced teacher first, and see if you are suited to it and like it. Then you can look overseas if that appeals.

Alternatively come and work at one of the private language schools. No idea how much they pay but they seem less concerned about standards.

Chris,

although you have a Master's and have worked in a non teaching role in the education industry, you are not a teacher. You have no education degrees, no teacher training and no teaching experience.

Of course, many people want to come and live and work in Thailand. But going into teaching to fund that etc is not the right way round. Would you be able to walk into a teaching job in the UK? If yes then fine. If no, then why would you expect to in Thailand.

Perhaps become a qualified experienced teacher first, and see if you are suited to it and like it. Then you can look overseas if that appeals.

Alternatively come and work at one of the private language schools. No idea how much they pay but they seem less concerned about standards.

Why cant he get the experience here?

OP, I usually bag the so called teachers working here and Vietnam etc. In the main because they have very limited qualifications and it's basically the only thing they can do here.

There are some genuine people that have done a degree and looking to do something little outside the square.

Give it a shot. Also don't overlook China down the track.

Only downside is with your qualifications you can make your wealth in farang world and set yourself up. That's the common blueprint. Thinking that plan is changing for your generation . Good luck

Edited by jacksam

If I were you especially given your age I would go home, study for a PGCE, get Qualified Teacher Status or equivalent, and then put yourself on the job market - with your existing qualifications plus PGCE/QTS you would be able to apply for top teaching jobs all over the world including Thailand. Might take three years in total but what the hell, at your age that is nothing. The 35,000 THB a month sector is good for about two years max and then you will probably want to get out - it really can be could destroying unless you've got a reason like a relationship or something.

The posters suggesting he is too young to come here , maybe he is tired of his home country ?

If this is what he wants ,there's no need for advice really , maybe he will learn it the hard way but still enjoy his life in Thailand.

Edited by balo

Huh? Why would someone who is young (30s), with a masters want to throw it all away instead of working back home in some industry (even teaching back home)and saving and making a decent life for your self instead of coming to teach in Thailand, which is normaly for old failures, paedophiles, criminals on the run and losers.

Huh? Why would someone who is young (30s), with a masters want to throw it all away instead of working back home in some industry (even teaching back home)and saving and making a decent life for your self instead of coming to teach in Thailand, which is normaly for old failures, paedophiles, criminals on the run and losers.

How about a life experience which, seems something that your old crusty butt lacked.

30 is a very dangerous age to be with qualifications and no career to speak of. The early 30s are probably the last chance to sit down. smell the coffee and seriously work something out. Alternatively, hearken to the siren song of Thailand, fritter the time away earning peanuts and royally blow up your last chance at career redemption. At your leisure.

B.S.

I'm teaching here and have met dozens of teachers, very few of which fit your ignorant preconceptions.

For the right people, it's a fine job to have.

with a Masters he could teach his subject area at an international school and earn 100k baht a year, explore the country and culture, and have an experience many westerners never do.

So which one are you?

So which one are you?

he's defo a iron..

Chris,

I hate this "if no education degree you are not a teacher" argument. We are teaching English as a second language.

In most of Europe , Canada, USA, you can teach ESL with a TEFL, or TESOL diploma in language schools, community colleges, churches, and community centres.

If it's good enough for the Western world, why not good enough for Thailand?

When B.Ed degrees are insisted upon, Thailand's English education programs will plummet in quality.

Only Nigerians, Cameroonians, and Filipinos need apply.

B.S.

I'm teaching here and have met dozens of teachers, very few of which fit your ignorant preconceptions.

For the right people, it's a fine job to have.

with a Masters he could teach his subject area at an international school and earn 100k baht a year, explore the country and culture, and have an experience many westerners never do.

If you are early 30s and your CV hasn't anything substantial in it whatsoever then a 2-year TEFL experience OK as a first stage 'repair job'. On the other side if you are taking a break from a long employment job then you have 'credit' also to take 2 years out. By all means have the 'experience'. However if the TEFL thing is just really a hook to stay in Thailand long term with no other fundamental objective than that, then a big mistake IMHO.

Edited by SheungWan

St. Francis Xavier School (English Curriculum) in Muang Thong Thani area of northwest Bangkok, always needs teachers. If you have a Masters(any major) w/ TELF, then you're good. Lots of Brits, Kiwis, and Americans on faculty. St. Francis should have a website. Google it. If not, then get back to me, via the personal message board here. I'll walk across the street from my condo, to get the contact info for you. Cheers!

Chris,

I hate this "if no education degree you are not a teacher" argument. We are teaching English as a second language.

In most of Europe , Canada, USA, you can teach ESL with a TEFL, or TESOL diploma in language schools, community colleges, churches, and community centres.

If it's good enough for the Western world, why not good enough for Thailand?

When B.Ed degrees are insisted upon, Thailand's English education programs will plummet in quality.

Only Nigerians, Cameroonians, and Filipinos need apply.

Because there is a world of difference between what teachers "should" be doing with students who have studied English for so many hours at school, and what should be done with refugees and migrants who either learnt very little or perhaps a long time ago.

Schools in my country will only take people with Education degrees. They will not take French, Spanish, Chinese "teachers" just because they happen to be native speakers. We are talking about TCT regulations which govern schools aren't we? Private language centers can still hire who they want, can't they?