Taking A Thai Registered Vehicle Into Laos

INTJ

you need a "passport" for your car .... to get that you'll need the book for the car etc. and to go to the Khon Song Jangwat (Nong Khai) They will give you the passport (cheap .. less than 300 baht I think) and a set of stickers for the front and back windows. Then you will check yourself out AND the car out at the border ... when you get to the Laos side you'll have to buy insurance valid in Laos (again cheap)

Note .... you are now in a very noticeably Thai car driving in Laos ... and the cops there are GREEDY! (1200 baht in 'pay here' fines for my BF driving there in only 3 days)

• 3 months later...

Greetings all

I know that laotions drive on the opposite side of the roadway to their Thai counterparts, nevertheless is it possible to take a Thai registered vehicle use it in that country (Laos) and then return to Thailand with it ?

I am going off to live in Laos for a while and I ',m wondering whether it would be possible to use the one car for travelling around both laos and northern thailand.

I'd really appreciate receiving any advice about this motoring possibility

Edited by roderick17

HI INTJ

Did you manage to take your car into Laos. If so was it a difficult task or was it relatively easy to achieve. I may be shifting to Vientane soon, so I'd be interested to know about getting a motor vehicle across the Thai border and into Laos.

Roderick

Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to drive into Laos with a Thai registered car (in farang name)without too much hassle, and if so, what paperwork is needed at the border(s) ?

Thanks in advance,

INTJ.

Edited by roderick17

• 2 months later...

No problem taking your car into laos. You need to have a "Paasport rot" available from the land Transprot Department at a cost of 55 baht. It is important that either you are the owner or have an authorization from the owner to take the car out of the country. In Nongkhai generally it is easy to manage - you will have to fill in a few forms and on the lao side also nor problems. On the lao side they normally will give you permission to enter for a week but they are willing to give you two weeks. Costs for a 2 week permit are about 630 baht. Never had any problems with the police in Laos although going up north to Luang Phrabang they sometimes will stop you and ask for the papers. Have been numerous times to the south and have never been stopped. In case uou need more info please contact me directly.

Auke in Chiangmai and Vientiane

Also remember when taking your RHD Thai registered car to Lao that the Laos drive on the'wrong' side of the road ie LHD

See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85778 for some info

Greetings all

I know that laotions drive on the opposite side of the roadway to their Thai counterparts, nevertheless is it possible to take a Thai registered vehicle use it in that country (Laos) and then return to Thailand with it ?

I am going off to live in Laos for a while and I ',m wondering whether it would be possible to use the one car for travelling around both laos and northern thailand.

Also remember when taking your RHD Thai registered car to Lao that the Laos drive on the'wrong' side of the road ie LHD

Same problem in Cambodia, but no real hassle.

No problem with the police there, either.

However you are limited to driving in the province where you entered.

To go further you probably need a proper Carnet de Passage.

Does anyone know the procedure for getting a Carnet for a Thai vehicle?

:o:D HI!

You can use ur thai registered car back & forth, however each crossing need to pay 220baht at each border. Also, u can also register it in Laos and pay the yearly dues. Of course, u have to get the permit first at Nongkhai.

Got a house over there and traveling 1-2 times a month from BKK to Vientiane.

:D:D

Greetings all

:D:D cops, it's the same here in LOS just be creative (sweet talking), got away free and pretend to call a friend working at the Embassy....HEHEHE...

:o:D

you need a "passport" for your car .... to get that you'll need the book for the car etc. and to go to the Khon Song Jangwat (Nong Khai) They will give you the passport (cheap .. less than 300 baht I think) and a set of stickers for the front and back windows. Then you will check yourself out AND the car out at the border ... when you get to the Laos side you'll have to buy insurance valid in Laos (again cheap)

Note .... you are now in a very noticeably Thai car driving in Laos ... and the cops there are GREEDY! (1200 baht in 'pay here' fines for my BF driving there in only 3 days)

I have been trying to find this out myself.. Want to suss out Laos (easy) Cambodia and Vietnam.. Maybe even Burma too..

The cambodian embassy just keep sending cut and paste about visa applications.. Then when asked about car tell me to contact 'my embassy' they clearly just are avoiding the question, maybe lack of knowledge or what ??

Please post any info you get.

Best place to ask is the international division at Mor Chit (top floor of the same building where you get your DL issued). They'll probably either know, or not know. You need to make clear that you want the carnet though (which requires a huge bond to be paid) rather than the 'passport' booklet, which only good for laos (so I was advised).

Huge being ??? And cannot a bond be handled via insurance ??

Really is ridiculous amounts of hassle trying to drive a loop or Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and home again.. Could you imagine if this was the same in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany !!!

Driving to Malaysia and Sing is all fairly straightforward but Cambo Vietnam and especially Burma all seem really closed.

They'll probably either know, or not know. You need to make clear that you want the carnet though (which requires a huge bond to be paid) rather than the 'passport' booklet, which only good for laos (so I was advised).

I did some checking on this for a motorcycle. The bond is the amount the person issuing the carnet would have to pay for the duty to import your vehicle in the country if it is not removed.

For my bike for instance;

Singapore 30% market value

Malaysia 60% market value

Thailand...not available....

So to bring my motorcycle to Singapore, the cost of the carnet via the Canadian AAA (the USA AAA does not issue them) $450 plus a bond of 60% of market value and about 3 weeks to issue. The Carnet is good for 1 year, and when you show the bike is returned, you get a refund on the bond...The bond can be a letter of credit from your bank as well. Also while the Carnet is good for 1 year, the bike must be removed from Singapore every 90 days.

Do a google on Carnet du passage to understand more.

Edited by old wanderer

But I drove into Malaysia without posting any kind of bond ?!?!

I know people who have US bikes in Thailand without any bond (just visa run ever 6 months)..

So far the Burmese embassies (London and BKK) have not even responded (niether has Vietnamese) and the Cambodian embassy doesnt understand what I mean, even having explained in great detail, they told me to contact 'my embassy' !?!?!?

But I drove into Malaysia without posting any kind of bond ?!?!

I know people who have US bikes in Thailand without any bond (just visa run ever 6 months)..

So far the Burmese embassies (London and BKK) have not even responded (niether has Vietnamese) and the Cambodian embassy doesnt understand what I mean, even having explained in great detail, they told me to contact 'my embassy' !?!?!?

You can go into Malaysia with a Thai vehicle quite easily as there are agreements between the two nations that these things can happen without all the paperwork.

Where these bilateral (eg, Thai-Malaysa, Thai-Singapore) or multilateral (US-Canada, EU) agreements don't exist, then I think it is safe to say that a carnet du passage would be needed. Or, if you are doing multi-national trips (ie, London to Thailand) then a carnet would most likely be essential. That is not to say you couldn't go to Malaysia or Singapore using the Carnet, just that you'd have to front up the bond.

Back in 2001 at the poipet border I had a chat to German bloke and his GF who had rode all the way from Berlin to Thailand, so going through cambo, with such a document is possible.

OK.. I know theres a guy here driving a British registered range rover that he brought in via cambodia..

But getting the cambodian embassy to even understand that I want to get into Cambodia in a Thai car seems like talking to a wall..

I have read that

Some of you guys might want to have a look at the Crossing Borders info on the GT Rider site.

Whilst this info is aimed at motorbikes, I think that it all probably applies to cars just as well.

The important things to note are

1. Proof of ownership, the green / blue book, & / or permission from the owner to temporarily export the vehicle.

2. ITP international transport permit

3. Carnets – you don’t need them for traveling in ASEAN with an ASEAN rego.

4. Burma at Tachilek is ok as far as the China border.

5. Vietnam is out (I think) unless you have prior permission.

6. Otherwise I think that Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia are all ok if you just roll up at the border with the ITP & Ownership rego book. Only Sing could be tricky if you have an older vehicle.

Odd as I am hearing both Burma and Cambodia are not OK..

I am emailing all these embassies... But they are all failing to answer either intelligently (understanding the questions asked) or at all.. Will post results when I know..

My brother wants to ride to Kathmandu and back (but Burma is the problem.. Bangladesh / India Nepal isnt) and I think a tour of Laos Vietnam coast and cambo would make a great loop for a few weeks..

• 4 years later...

Some of you guys might want to have a look at the Crossing Borders info on the GT Rider site.

Whilst this info is aimed at motorbikes, I think that it all probably applies to cars just as well.

1. Proof of ownership, the green / blue book, & / or permission from the owner to temporarily export the vehicle.

3. Carnets – you don't need them for traveling in ASEAN with an ASEAN rego.

6. Otherwise I think that Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia are all ok if you just roll up at the border with the ITP & Ownership rego book. Only Sing could be tricky if you have an older vehicle.

What's an"ITP"?

What's an"ITP"?

Blimey, you been in a coma for four years?. :huh:

What's an"ITP"?

Blimey, you been in a coma for four years?. :huh:

what a perfectly asinine comment!

• 2 weeks later...

Been and back again.

No problems art all.

I followed the advice of Offroadlanna............

Only delay was waiting for my passport to get it's visa - there was a coach load of tourists in front of me.

Officials on both sides were pretty helpful showing which window or counter to go to next.

THe purple bok was obtained from my local LTO and cost....55baht. took about 45 minutes to get.

covered only a very small distance in Laos (Vientiane and Nam Ngum) - no hassle with police. Roads very dusty and poor condition.

I paid a couple of hundred part for the Laos insurance for a fortnight - you get a sticker for your window.

My own Thai insurance company got in touch and it seems they may or my not have given me some insurance over for the trip too.....after a series of garbled phone conversations on the way there they lost contact......so I'll try and find out if they can in fact offer cover abroad......and if so how much.

PS - initiALLY THE LTO THOUGHT I WANTED TO EXPORT THE CAR PERMANENTLY - SO THEY ASKED FOR MY NUMBER PLATES - THIS WAS QUICKLY CLEARED UP....BUT IT WOULD INDI=CATE THAT MOVING THE CAR TO LAOS MY BE A FAIRLY STRAIGHT PROCESS TOO.

(Sorry accidentally hit the CAPS button)

PPS - Having done the exploratory trip I fully intend to make a further longer trip over the new year.

Edited by cowslip