Do Thais want to know anything about your home country?

sawadee1947

In my life I lived in many countries as Ireland, UK, Luxembourg, Germany, Australia, USA, Kenya, South Africa. Wherever it was people asked me where I came from and how it is there. And in this way I met a lot of friends at the end.

Of course one of the reasons is that they got their roots in Europe. (USA, AUS, RSA)

Now I live for 5 years already in Thailand.

Surprisingly people only (sometimes) ask me where I come from. But that is all. Only a few ask more.

I hope I'm not looking like a bull dog and that is the reason for not asking....

What happened to you actually? Did Thai ask you? Do they want to know much more about your country?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing I'm Australian they ask often if I play football...European football.

So many times, and no one thinks to check what we Aussies in the south play.....a much harder and faster game than that played by any other Farang (Union not included).

They have no idea about any of my past or home and this includes many of the so called intelligent well educated Thais.

whistling.gif Some Thais do, many don't.

Same as Americans.

I was once asked by a clueless American when she found out I was coming from Thailand, "Did you have a lot of snow there last year for Christmas?"

As the saying goes, "Against such ignorance even the Gods would strive in vain".

I am not having a go at you but it is a sweeping statement and if you refined it to something else like g/f or wife's or non family members. Anyway to answer my wife always wants to know about my home country, UK much more than I do in fact. I do get other Thais interested but they are people who travel a lot around the world.

I work for a Thai company, I get the occasional personal question, but not really about where I am from. More, do I like this or that kind of Thai food, or what am I eating. A little bit about golf, F1, European or English football. Not much else.

Working for a multi-national i get plenty of questions on how we work back in the UK, and plenty of replies ' oh cannot do same in Thailand ' but not many questions on a personal level. Having a baby daughter recently i have noticed the wife taking a lot more interest in how things are done back home.

Keep telling her i am not going back smile.png

Unless Thais have a need to know about your home country then why? I don't know about many countries except the capital, some basic facts about food (I am greedy) that's it. Example Bolivia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Uzbekistan just to name a few examples as there are many more. We must remember Thailand is the centre of the universe to many Thais and I can see why to some respects. That's why many of us are here, even though it is far from perfect.

I am not having a go at you but it is a sweeping statement and if you refined it to something else like g/f or wife's or non family members. Anyway to answer my wife always wants to know about my home country, UK much more than I do in fact. I do get other Thais interested but they are people who travel a lot around the world.

Agree. Why would a complete stranger or even an acquaintance be the least interested in the OP's home country? Come to think of it, why would they be interested in anything the OP has to say....from the sounds of it.

The culture here is not known for its high level of intellectual curiosity. Sure I get asked sometimes what country but I think that's usually about which stereotype box to put people in rather than learning anything new.

True enough, but I notice that when I return to the US for a visit none of my friends/family ask about life in Thailand. I don't think many people have intellectual curiosity. It's disappointing.

It's kind of fun to see interaction of foreigners in Thailand and Thai "partners" when the foreigner is telling the Thai all about how things are back home ... and you can see the Thai eyes glazing over. Polite interest might be faked, of course.

Edited by Jingthing

They love talking about the English premier league all 5 teams Liverpool,Man Utd,Chelsea,Arsenal and Man City.

They haven't a clue who and where West Brom play.

I was in the back of a tuk tuk in Khon Kaen years ago and the old boy driving asked where I was from. I answered England and after more prodding said Norwich. Thinking I'd get a blank look he said " Ah Kevin Keelan." I nearly fell out of the bloody tuk tuk.