Do Thais want to know anything about your home country?

sawadee1947

Bickering posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The arrogance of thinking you're so interesting and enigmatic that Thais should be falling over themselves to find out more about you is breathtaking.

It's just one more example of the neo-colonial self-importance that afflicts far too many foreigners here - most of whom can be easily described with one word . . . UNREMARKABLE

You're not pioneers, explorers or men of vision in khakis roaming the new frontier bringing civilization to the "barbarians"

You're economic migrants and sex refugees and, with the proliferation of the internet and social media, the Thais KNOW it

Some of what you said is interesting, and has some merit. But, the reality is, if I am at a dinner party, anywhere in the world, I will strike up a conversation with the host, as I am curious about their lives. In Thailand, that is rarely the case. I have been at dinner parties, where the host was a Peabody award winning journalist, who just completed an award winning documentary. Did the intelligent, well educated Thais in the room pepper him with questions about his project? No. Very few. I heartily believe intellectual curiousity is just not a part of most Thai people. I think it is cultural and educational in nature.

If we were pioneers, would they be more curious about us? I do not think this is about arrogance. I think it is about our version of etiquette. I am not saying their lack of questions and what we perceive to be common courtesies is incorrect or wrong. It is just strange sometimes. I realize the cultural gap here is huge. I take that into account.

And lastly, we must be mixing with different crowds. I have a number of expat friends here who are accomplished, wealthy, and very successful at their chosen professions. They are anything but economic refugees. They may be cultural refugees, in the sense that they had a hard time relating to contemporary American culture.

Edited by spidermike007

Which part of Europe is USA in?

The Upper Swedish Arctic

You both seem to be confused or delusional.

The USA has dominated Europe since the 1940s when they saved their butts from the Hitler,

Just before they saved Asia from Japan.

What part of USA is Europe?

And lastly, we must be mixing with different crowds. I have a number of expat friends here who are accomplished, wealthy, and very successful at their chosen professions. They are anything but economic refugees. They may be cultural refugees, in the sense that they had a hard time relating to contemporary American culture.

Whatever!

This has nothing to do with the people I do or don't mix with since none of the handful of foreigners I can actually tolerate are so arrogant and conceited as to berate the locals for not questioning them on their homelands which is what more than a few of the respondents in this thread are doing.

Dismissing them as lacking intellectual curiosity is the height of snobbery.

That such snobbery should be practiced by men living here because, financially and romantically, they're considered "nothing special" in their own countries is all the more odious.

I'll leave you with a question; would you say your "accomplished" expatriate friends with their wealth and success represent the exception or the rule for foreigners living here?

Used to get asked quite a lot, and when i get asked now i just say i come from England.

IMO, there are too many Thais that think the Irish come from Northern Iceland.....................rolleyes.gif

I never knew Iceland was divided. Edited by StreetCowboy

The Upper Swedish Arctic

The USA has dominated Europe since the 1940s when they saved their butts from the Hitler,

You just feel guilty about being late for the last two world wars. I guess that's why you're so keen to get into the next one first

Many many do ask, and when I tell them New Zealand, many do not know of my country, but when I tell them that the " lord of the rings " movie was made there they say suay maak............but that's ok and not unusual, I have met many farang from western countries that are much the same, some think it's somewhere in Europe.

Many many do ask, and when I tell them New Zealand, many do not know of my country, but when I tell them that the " lord of the rings " movie was made there they say suay maak............but that's ok and not unusual, I have met many farang from western countries that are much the same, some think it's somewhere in Europe.

I feel like an intellectual midget now; I've never asked any of my Kiwi mates about life in New Zealand. Is it really like Lord Of The Rings? That must be pretty scarey...

I get asked lots in Chiang Mai when I visit. How do we care for older people, cars and what's it like to drive, location and things to do, what's the food like, what's the beer like, get asked about the Royal family, get asked about corruption in our government and of course weather/football. Very varied. I have to say once I speak more to them they ask far more questions.

I've been quizzed on some occasions. Partner's company owners and their family holidayed in nz in April i was asked to help out with itinerary, best places to visit etc, and they met up with my brother in Auckland took him on a harbour cruise ( think this was 'my' thanks in a roundabout way).

There's a youngish doctor in the cycling group i ride with, he did his post-grad studies in Melbourne and had taken a package tour of nz, knew more than most, we get along well as a bit in common i worked in nz medical recruitment for several years

Currently i am on a short contract in Taranaki NZ, oil/gas and dairy farming region. Was asked to send dairy farm pics back as know a man whose brother in involved in Thailand's small dairy industry, he's at Wang Nam Yen in Sa Kaeo province, nz has a history of co-operation since the 60s in dairy, friend's father was in Thailand then Indonesia for years, as a NZ Dairy Board farm advisor. My pics are welcomed, and circulated among staff. The woolly highland cattle, and belted Galloways had them confused, having not seen those breeds before

The Lord of the Rings, and All Blacks, most common topics when nz gets a mention, though the 2010 football world cup raised a few questions, not a sport i follow, but the nz side got coverage at the time in Thai media

Mountains, hobbits, and men kicking balls ! That sums it up.

The Upper Swedish Arctic

Help save !

The Upper Swedish Arctic

off the thread: interesting to see if the Middle East will be part of USA or Russia?

people don't care where you have been really. all they want to know is that their country is better than where you have been. so just tell them you come back because it s better where they are.

in the USA, just say God bless America and you will get a free burger maybe smile.png

yeah, that's the way to enjoy an harmonious life. No sweat.

Sorry Double post!

I never ask Thai people about life in The Boondocks, nor in the slums of Klong Toey. I should be more intellectually curious.

5555, good analogy.

What this boils down to is this topic has nothing to do with Thais or farangs or intellectual curiosity or any other nonsense. Fact is, people that the OP meets just aren't interested in where he's from or anything else about him. And so his feelings are hurt.

Sorry Double post!

I never ask Thai people about life in The Boondocks, nor in the slums of Klong Toey. I should be more intellectually curious.

5555, good analogy.

What this boils down to is this topic has nothing to do with Thais or farangs or intellectual curiosity or any other nonsense. Fact is, people that the OP meets just aren't interested in where he's from or anything else about him. And so his feelings are hurt.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I get asked lots in Chiang Mai when I visit. How do we care for older people, cars and what's it like to drive, location and things to do, what's the food like, what's the beer like, get asked about the Royal family, get asked about corruption in our government and of course weather/football. Very varied. I have to say once I speak more to them they ask far more questions.

Are the questions being asked primarily by University students? My guess it they would be the case. If a university does not teach you to be curious about the world, they have failed at their job.

people don't care where you have been really. all they want to know is that their country is better than where you have been. so just tell them you come back because it s better where they are.

in the USA, just say God bless America and you will get a free burger maybe :)

I have never received anything free in the states for demonstrating patriotism. Only guys like Trump, who are looking for votes, might offer a small token for nationalism.

The arrogance of thinking you're so interesting and enigmatic that Thais should be falling over themselves to find out more about you is breathtaking.

It's just one more example of the neo-colonial self-importance that afflicts far too many foreigners here - most of whom can be easily described with one word . . . UNREMARKABLE

You're not pioneers, explorers or men of vision in khakis roaming the new frontier bringing civilization to the "barbarians"

You're economic migrants and sex refugees and, with the proliferation of the internet and social media, the Thais KNOW it

You sound like a keen observer.

In what part of Thailand do you live?

Wink wink nudge nudge.

Bangkok

And where do you observe all those irritating farangs that you always mention in your posts?

I thought it was a good question, not so deftly side-stepped. Wonder why.

in the USA, just say God bless America and you will get a free burger maybe smile.png

yeah, that's the way to enjoy an harmonious life. No sweat.

No, I believe this is really just his way of conning people out of free food.

Sorry Double post!

Yes you should be indeed!

A little bit of intellectual curiosity would help you understand the plight of a large part of the Thai population.

Assuming that you care about the country you live in.

Are the questions being asked primarily by University students? My guess it they would be the case. If a university does not teach you to be curious about the world, they have failed at their job.

Yes a good mix are from Uni. However a few others aren't from Uni. My experience must be different to the rest. However you do have chat for a while until they ask questions.

The Upper Swedish Arctic

Confused and delusional, maybe. I tried a joke but you took it seriously. Up to you.

Re saving butts and Hitler, since we somewhat are into history.

I'd say that the butt saving was hardly singled handed by the US, several took part in that.

Now, about saving butts:

Sure US put a lot of effort into that, for a price. Every damned bullet, tank, aircraft, ship, soldier was paid for by the UK government.

A very few years back when Mr Gordon Brown was the UK Minister of Finance he paid the very last installment back to the US for their war time efforts.

The butt saving effort ended favourably for most tastes.

The US mercenaries were decently paid.

Most people concerned were comfortable with the result.

No free lunches, not during the 2nd WW either.

(note, my comment is purely about the war time effort, not about the post war efforts)

in the USA, just say God bless America and you will get a free burger maybe :)

I have never received anything free in the states for demonstrating patriotism. Only guys like Trump, who are looking for votes, might offer a small token for nationalism.
what let you think this is patriotism?

for me it s delusionism because God doesn't care of what country you come from? yeah I asked him. :)

The culture here is not known for its high level of intellectual curiosity. Sure I get asked sometimes what country but I think that's usually about which stereotype box to put people in rather than learning anything new.

Other than bargirls, Thais ask me about my country as much as people in my country ask about Thailand, which is about zero.