Do Thais want to know anything about your home country?

sawadee1947

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been living in Saudi Arabia for the post four years with my Thai wife. Whenever back in Thailand she had many conversations with other Thais about what life is like here.

So I would say that Thais are curious, but more comfortable talking about this stuff with one of their own, or a family member.

Or they're just making Thai small talk as Thais do.

Personally, I couldn't care less what people ask me. I have zero interest in talking to them about their boring life too.

At a barbecue in Jomtein and an extremely drunk Thai man approaches me having a cigarette out back,,"where you from?",,America I say,,"Peyton Manning!" He slurs out. I couldn't stop laughing.

German guy I know here was in the Army for several years and was sent to America for some exchange/training program, I think he said Texas. Said he and his buddies stopped at a small town diner and after a bit of initial trouble with their heavily accented English, the waitress asked, "Where ya'all from?".

"We are from Gerrrr-man."

Said she got really excited, "Oh, wait right here!", ran into the back, and were slightly unnerved when she returned a moment later brandishing a large kitchen knife...... pointing excitedly to the blade exclaiming, "See? Made in Germany!". Ya'all make really good knives, this one's our favorite!".

People are funny sometimes. biggrin.png

...They make good beer too, eh?

clap2.gif

I have a woman friend in Sisaket who is a teacher with a master's degree. Her English is "good enough" to get by. She would love to visit America and I would love to show it to her on the ground for a month. I could show her all of the most famous places in that time. No dice. We are just very good friends and there's no connection to get a visa. I've tried. I have the financials and all else but I guess there's a presumption that she would want to stay.

No way. She owns a home and a car, has a great job and has extensive family in the area. She just wants to see some of the sights of which she is well aware. What a shame that she can't see it, but she can't. I would even put up a substantial bond if they'd let me but noooo....

Cheers.

Not really as best as I can tell after a dozen visits there. Sure they ask the usual superficial questions, but they are so caught up in just trying to get by that I don't think they have a lot of curiosity about the social nature, house styles, urban versus rural, commuting to work, or any other aspects of daily life or even the overall country in general. I had a nice chat with the lady doctor the one time I was in the hospital there. She was clearly a free thinker and perceptive person and we did talk about freedoms, and things like that. I am an engineer so she seemed to understand a little bit what I do in my white collar job, steady income, disposable income, etc

those who i talk to dont know what 'united states' is. i always have to say 'america'

think they heard it in a song somewhere

or some outdated 'columbus discovered america' textbook

Edited by fey

Unless Thais have a need to know about your home country then why? I don't know about many countries except the capital, some basic facts about food (I am greedy) that's it. Example Bolivia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Uzbekistan just to name a few examples as there are many more. We must remember Thailand is the centre of the universe to many Thais and I can see why to some respects. That's why many of us are here, even though it is far from perfect.

I kinda agree with you but you also have to remember the language and culture barriers that acts like a conversation stopper between Thais and farangs. The truth is some don't care like everywhere else, but from what I've seen many Thais talk very much between themselves (in Thai) about farang countries, whether it is about their husbands, sister or friends. In fact, Thais seems to know more about today's Europe and geography in general than some of my Americans friends.

Thais often ask me about Norway, though it usually goes in the same bundle of questions, such as, if it's cold there now, if the food is very different, if it's easy to go to Norway, how much Norwegians earn, what I do for a living and (if) that they have a family member or a friend there.

It's not exactly my taste of questions but it's their way of communicating and their interests. I don't expect them to ask different and many more questions. I often continue the conversation by telling them little bit more about Norway as they seems interested, before I ask them about themselves.

Some Thais starts off by talking about themselves, then they continue with talking about themselves and before my wife drags me away they talk some more about themselves 5555

The culture here is not known for its high level of intellectual curiosity. Sure I get asked sometimes what country but I think that's usually about which stereotype box to put people in rather than learning anything new.

This has been my experience as well.

Like the Capital One commercial, the only question Thais have ever had for me is "what's in your wallet?"

When I lived/worked in the middle east, I went to small town Pennsylvania to visit my dad once after he moved back there. I met relatives/locals, some had attended Temple or Penn State, but for the most part, the average travel portfolio consisted of a trip to New York City, maybe a holiday in Florida, or a once in a lifetime trip to an exotic island in the Caribbean. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When some asked me where I live, reaction was often surprise...... pause..... then one of two questions, "Wow, isn't it really hot there?" Or, "Why? Oh dear, you should be careful, isn't it dangerous over there?".

Over the first meal of wonderful piles of Polish food, "Jeez Louise, what in heaven's name do you eat over there?", and I name a few Arab and Indian dishes. Chewing, silent pondering, "What the hell is mutton?" I would break the momentary silence with my best Crocodile Dundee, "Yeah, well, you can live on it, but it tastes like s**t! <Laughter>. I follow with, "But on Fridays, I might go to the Mall for a double whopper with cheese at Burger King!" < Boing?> "Ohhhhhh! Really? They have that over there?"

That's about it, unless I offered up some humorous tales to highlight cultural differences. Bum guns and no toilet paper blew their minds.

Maybe they simply never thought about it and don't have a bank of questions at the ready. Maybe I caused them to quietly reflect on their lives, and wonder what could of been had they not turned down some past opportunity to venture out into the world. End of the day, the amusing details of life in the ME had no bearing on or practical use within the confines of their daily lives, and could possibly upset their previously digested assumptions. Could be some parallels to Thais in Thailand? Maybe.

Living in Thailand now, their minds must race with the sinfully decadent possibilities worthy of 3 Hail Mary's. Images of a dark room, the glow of a single red light, me on king sized bed with a pulsating pile of brown skinned women, as I grin like a Cheshire Cat and take another hit off the water bong.

The reality of me sweeping the driveway and mowing the lawn, would probably disappoint, and bore the shit out of them. laugh.png

Edited by 55Jay