Do Thais want to know anything about your home country?

sawadee1947

So you think that the posters who say that Thais show no interest in their home countries are aging poorly dressed sex starved excessively drinking prostitute customers?

Well there's something strange about them. To never have met any local people that has not asked questions about your home country basically is saying you've never developed any friends.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically, Thais consider themselves very curious, but usually they're only curious to place you in a social hierarchy - do you have a Thai girlfriend, how much money do you make, etc. They're never curious about ideas, though they sometimes ask about the climate where I'm from and don't believe it's hot there. I was exasperated by this until I went back "home" and was reminded that the locals there ask nothing at all.

Quite a few respondents here seem to be implying that the Thais are somehow diminished or otherwise worse off for not engaging us in discourse about our homelands.

How ridiculous

Lord knows I'm not even remotely curious about most of the aging, poorly-dressed and seemingly sex-starved foreigners I see drinking to excess and running around with tattooed prostitutes.

Why should the Thais be?

So you think that the posters who say that Thais show no interest in their home countries are aging poorly dressed sex starved excessively drinking prostitute customers?

Are you implying that Thais are shallow for judging the people of an entire country by one example?

Edited by BudRight

Quite a few respondents here seem to be implying that the Thais are somehow diminished or otherwise worse off for not engaging us in discourse about our homelands.

How ridiculous

Lord knows I'm not even remotely curious about most of the aging, poorly-dressed and seemingly sex-starved foreigners I see drinking to excess and running around with tattooed prostitutes.

Why should the Thais be?

Are you implying that Thais are shallow for judging the people of an entire country by one example?

No, I imply nothing at all.

I was only asking Cypress Hill for a clarification of his post.

I did not even imply that I agree or disagree with his post.

Actually this is a language barrier. If OP do not speak the language and want to communicate in English do not expect Thais to ask you a lot of questions in English unless they are highly educated and almost fluent in the language .

A simple conversation with a Thai _

Where u from ? Norway. What you do there? Work xxxxxx. You earn good money ? Yes . When you go back ? Not sure .

Ok , we go eat now.

It's not a language barrier thing. We're talking about a culture that largely teaches people to not question authority. Also, I'm told Thais don't like to ask questions or discuss things that might expose them as ignorant or unknowing about something. Those barriers kinda limit a conversation.

Many of our best Thai friends have traveled more that we have so I think it depends on who you associate with.

Yup - meeting one tomorrow night who is on tour of Italy, Switzerland, Germany and the UK.

Some of these guys will be shocked to hear that many Thais are RICHER AND BETTER TRAVELED THAN THEY ARE.

Many meaning some but not most. Let's be realistic here. Most foreigners do not associate with hi-so Thais. Good for you guys- and anyone else- if you do, but those people are not really reflective of the nation as a whole anyway.

In any country the hi-so will of course associate mostly with their peers.

Loaded with money does not necessarily imply one been hi-so.

This I guess is the main reason for a lot of rantings.

Yeah, I'll concede the wealthier people in my country are less curious about foreigners. Also, they could generally care less about their fellow countrymen who don't share the same socioeconomic background. Same can be said about people in general as they get older. Throughout the world, it's mostly young people who are curious about things that are new and/or different. It should also be noted that we chose to live abroad. People inevitably develop a different, more cosmopolitan attitude when they live abroad. So it stands to reason that the only people we'll really connect with here are fellow expats.

Used to get asked quite a lot, and when i get asked now i just say i come from England.

IMO, there are too many Thais that think the Irish come from Northern Iceland.....................rolleyes.gif

Hahahaha, yeah, that happens to me all the time. When I say: I'm Irish, then I can see the big questionmarks in their eyes. But even: I'm from Ireland will not do any better. Only: somewhere next to England will be ok then. (I supose they think of Iceland....)

It's kind of fun to see interaction of foreigners in Thailand and Thai "partners" when the foreigner is telling the Thai all about how things are back home ... and you can see the Thai eyes glazing over. Polite interest might be faked, of course.

After our marriage here in Thailand we lived some time in my home country. Looking back it was the best I had done, because my wife understood me much more, even my zest for cheese (which she likes a lot now). Even she liked the rainy weather and chilling temperatures in winter time.

People who travel are interested in foreign countries, by definition.

Now, how many Thais have the chance to travel around the world in comparison, say, to Europeans ?

they don't need to. There are a lot of Europeans here. But the better way would be to visit Europe, isn't it?

It's kind of fun to see interaction of foreigners in Thailand and Thai "partners" when the foreigner is telling the Thai all about how things are back home ... and you can see the Thai eyes glazing over. Polite interest might be faked, of course.

After our marriage here in Thailand we lived some time in my home country. Looking back it was the best I had done, because my wife understood me much more, even my zest for cheese (which she likes a lot now). Even she liked the rainy weather and chilling temperatures in winter time.

Absolutely. Can't stress the importance of this enough. Cannot imagine feeling like I have a real relationship with a girl if she's never seen where I come from, and vice-versa. If I ever married a Thai- or any other girl- I'd insist that we spend at least a year or two back in USA.

I suspect that some Westerners accusing Thai's of believing their country is the centre of the universe are guilty of the same trait.

There are many countries I have never given a second thought about.

If I were to meet someone I found interesting and respected and we were to become friends I would take a greater interest in their country of origin.

I'm quite sure this 'human trait' is mirrored by many people from many other nations - We ask questions once there is a greater vested interest. For example, I have worked with Mexican's but I have never asked a Mexican about living in Mexico, the same can be said for Venezuelan and many South American countries I've never been to but who's people I've worked with.

Most of my Thai Friends have never asked me about the UK, but why would they, most of my Thai Friends are as well travelled as I am, the majority of them have studied abroad...

The culture here is not known for its high level of intellectual curiosity. Sure I get asked sometimes what country but I think that's usually about which stereotype box to put people in rather than learning anything new.

True enough, but I notice that when I return to the US for a visit none of my friends/family ask about life in Thailand. I don't think many people have intellectual curiosity. It's disappointing.

Please do not confuse a lack of interest in the living conditions and daily life in a third world country with a lack of intellectual curiosity. . Also keep in mind, Thailand's reputation for human trafficking and the sex trade. Perhaps your friends and family are being polite or are in a quasi denial by not coming out and asking direct questions.

How ridiculous

Why should the Thais be?

No but there are enough foreigners here fitting that description to make the Thais assume that we could all be like that

It's not a stereotype for no reason, is it?

How ridiculous

Why should the Thais be?

No but there are enough foreigners here fitting that description to make the Thais assume that we could all be like that

It's not a stereotype for no reason, is it?

This is not off topic, but it definitely deserves its own thread. I feel like the attitude towards and perception of white foreigners has declined here over the last five years. That being said, I still think it's not a factor with regards to the OP. I'm pretty sure non-white foreigners feel the same way most of us do. Plus, even my Thai "friends" that have accepted me have very few questions for me. They mostly talk about themselves.

The arrogance of thinking you're so interesting and enigmatic that Thais should be falling over themselves to find out more about you is breathtaking.

It's just one more example of the neo-colonial self-importance that afflicts far too many foreigners here - most of whom can be easily described with one word . . . UNREMARKABLE

You're not pioneers, explorers or men of vision in khakis roaming the new frontier bringing civilization to the "barbarians"

You're economic migrants and sex refugees and, with the proliferation of the internet and social media, the Thais KNOW it

Edited by Cypress Hill

The arrogance of thinking you're so interesting and enigmatic that Thais should be falling over themselves to find out more about you is breathtaking.

It's just one more example of the neo-colonial self-importance that afflicts far too many foreigners here - most of whom can be easily described with one word . . . UNREMARKABLE

You're not pioneers, explorers or men of vision in khakis roaming the new frontier bringing civilization to the "barbarians"

You're economic migrants and sex refugees and, with the proliferation of the internet and social media, the Thais KNOW it

You sound like a keen observer.

In what part of Thailand do you live?

Wink wink nudge nudge.

The primary issue as I see it is that most Thais seem to get their curiosity beaten out of them in school. So, only the truly dynamic and exceptional ones, will probe. Or those that have been overseas, as they quickly learn what a desirable quality curiosity is.

That's about right IMO... if i may add, asking questions is admitting ignorance, thus weakness... Much better feign indifference and pretend to know it all.

Just my humble and possibly biased opinion, stll i think intellectual curiosity is a strenght and not a weakness.

i can't speak fluent Thai, but those who can , often confirm what i think.

Wink wink nudge nudge.

Bangkok

Wink wink nudge nudge.

Bangkok

And where do you observe all those irritating farangs that you always mention in your posts?

Wink wink nudge nudge.

Bangkok

And where do you observe all those irritating farangs that you always mention in your posts?

I trust the reason you're focusing on my personal circumstances is because you find yourself unable to offer a rebuttal on what I wrote?

Maybe it struck a nerve?

I doubt anyone is thinking they are in anyway special or important.

But i do know that most thais know jackshit about the world.

The primary issue as I see it is that most Thais seem to get their curiosity beaten out of them in school. So, only the truly dynamic and exceptional ones, will probe. Or those that have been overseas, as they quickly learn what a desirable quality curiosity is.

That's about right IMO... if i may add, asking questions is admitting ignorance, thus weakness... Much better feign indifference and pretend to know it all.

Just my humble and possibly biased opinion, stll i think intellectual curiosity is a strenght and not a weakness.

Well, my opinion is that the entire practice of "face" is the real weakness. It is the ultimate act of cowardice. Being obsessed with that people think of you, and how you appear every minute of every day is the most ridiculous way to live ones life, that is possible. I always tell my Thai wife, who on earth cares what they think of you? If it is a close friend or family, ok. But absolute strangers. Pure folly. So, the weakness does not come in asking questions, and being curious. The weakness comes in being obsessed with appearances. Talk about squandering ones life away. I realize many will say this is cultural. Well, if that is the case, it is a massive cultural weakness, in my book.

Actually this is a language barrier. If OP do not speak the language and want to communicate in English do not expect Thais to ask you a lot of questions in English unless they are highly educated and almost fluent in the language .

A simple conversation with a Thai _

Where u from ? Norway. What you do there? Work xxxxxx. You earn good money ? Yes . When you go back ? Not sure .

Ok , we go eat now.

It's not a language barrier thing. We're talking about a culture that largely teaches people to not question authority. Also, I'm told Thais don't like to ask questions or discuss things that might expose them as ignorant or unknowing about something. Those barriers kinda limit a conversation.

Ok I tend to agree but I would say its a mix of both . It helps to speak the language.

Well, my opinion is that the entire practice of "face" is the real weakness. It is the ultimate act of cowardice. Being obsessed with that people think of you, and how you appear every minute of every day is the most ridiculous way to live ones life, that is possible. I always tell my Thai wife, who on earth cares what they think of you? If it is a close friend or family, ok. But absolute strangers. Pure folly. So, the weakness does not come in asking questions, and being curious. The weakness comes in being obsessed with appearances. Talk about squandering ones life away. I realize many will say this is cultural. Well, if that is the case, it is a massive cultural weakness, in my book.

In a way, i agree with you on the " face " issue, but, as a foreigner, i don't want to rush on judgement about another country's culture. At least, not until i get to fully understand it.

There are pros and cons, like in most cultural facets.

Personally, i regard individualism as a development, but i am convinced that the majority of the Thais would not agree.