Do Thais want to know anything about your home country?

sawadee1947

Knowing I'm Australian they ask often if I play football...European football.

So many times, and no one thinks to check what we Aussies in the south play.....a much harder and faster game than that played by any other Farang (Union not included).

They have no idea about any of my past or home and this includes many of the so called intelligent well educated Thais.

Far more people play Football in Australia than egg ball.

Football is a great way to initially connect with Thais actually.

Edited by Schillaci

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Double post!

I never ask Thai people about life in The Boondocks, nor in the slums of Klong Toey. I should be more intellectually curious.

5555, good analogy.

What this boils down to is this topic has nothing to do with Thais or farangs or intellectual curiosity or any other nonsense. Fact is, people that the OP meets just aren't interested in where he's from or anything else about him. And so his feelings are hurt.

Nice try. You really see what the OP is talking about when you stand Thais next to their neighbors. It's like night and day for the most part, as the level of genuine intellectual curiosity is just so much higher throughout other SE Asian countries. Everything just seems very surface level between Thais and foreigners. Similar to the relationship an adult might have with children. Like, the child will ask the adult questions here and there, but struggle to comprehend or read much into the answers. I used to be the lone foreigner in an office that frequently hosted international guests. And every time- no matter where the guest was from- they were always looking at me like we were the lone adults in the room.

people don't care where you have been really. all they want to know is that their country is better than where you have been. so just tell them you come back because it s better where they are.

in the USA, just say God bless America and you will get a free burger maybe :)

I have never received anything free in the states for demonstrating patriotism. Only guys like Trump, who are looking for votes, might offer a small token for nationalism.
what let you think this is patriotism?

for me it s delusionism because God doesn't care of what country you come from? yeah I asked him. :)

I am thrilled you are getting answers to your prayers. Thanks for the spiritual and compassionate guidance.

You sound like a keen observer.

In what part of Thailand do you live?

Wink wink nudge nudge.

Bangkok

And where do you observe all those irritating farangs that you always mention in your posts?

I thought it was a good question, not so deftly side-stepped. Wonder why.

I said I lived in Bangkok so as to confirm I'm not one of those idiots who thinks a few short sex tours each year is a valid enough standpoint from which to offer "informed" comment on this topic or any other regarding daily life here.

I didn't side-step anything - further elaboration beyond that was irrelevant, IMO.

Suffice it to say, these "Bwannabes" are everywhere - bars, restaurants, BTS, malls, immigration - scowling at the world after discovering that the Thais don't give a flying you-know-what about the "wealth of life experience" they amassed while they spent 20-40 years living in some bland crap hole delivering mail, inspecting rail tickets, servicing carburettors, unblocking drains or selling insurance.

Personally, I positively EMBRACE the Thais' indifference toward me and my past life in London, I don't bitch about it.

Bangkok

And where do you observe all those irritating farangs that you always mention in your posts?

I thought it was a good question, not so deftly side-stepped. Wonder why.

I said I lived in Bangkok so as to confirm I'm not one of those idiots who thinks a few short sex tours each year is a valid enough standpoint from which to offer "informed" comment on this topic or any other regarding daily life here.

I didn't side-step anything - further elaboration beyond that was irrelevant, IMO.

Suffice it to say, these "Bwannabes" are everywhere - bars, restaurants, BTS, malls, immigration - scowling at the world after discovering that the Thais don't give a flying you-know-what about the "wealth of life experience" they amassed while they spent 20-40 years living in some bland crap hole delivering mail, inspecting rail tickets, servicing carburettors, unblocking drains or selling insurance.

Personally, I positively EMBRACE the Thais' indifference toward me and my past life in London, I don't bitch about it.

Thanks.

BTW.... When certain members go on about "well traveled Thais" and how it must be your fault for hanging out with those peasants I just roll my eyes in pain. I dated a "well travelled Thai" back in Canada and all she cared were her pictures on facebook. "oh.... The sushi place in Toronto was amazing" (nice decor, sht sushi). "Swan Lake was magnificent! " (I saw Black Swan at the movies and now I want to be a ballerina. Tchaikovsky? Who that?). I wanna visit NYC for shopping. Make sure people see Prada bag in pic.

BTW.... When certain members go on about "well traveled Thais" and how it must be your fault for hanging out with those peasants I just roll my eyes in pain. I dated a "well travelled Thai" back in Canada and all she cared were her pictures on facebook. "oh.... The sushi place in Toronto was amazing" (nice decor, sht sushi). "Swan Lake was magnificent! " (I saw Black Swan at the movies and now I want to be a ballerina. Tchaikovsky? Who that?). I wanna visit NYC for shopping. Make sure people see Prada bag in pic.

So what?

You roll your eyes in pain because you dated a vacuous dolt, not because the majority of well-travelled Thais are similarly shallow

So what?

You roll your eyes in pain because you dated a vacuous dolt, not because the majority of well-travelled Thais are similarly shallow

Most people are shallow including you stating the fact we should be aware of this special breed called a "well traveled Thai" which only a select few Farang have access to.

The Facebook page must be very inspiring with the posts from these "well traveled Thais".

Puke.

It seems to take some time and maybe some language skills… It is not a large interest for most as they do not ever expect to go to another country - you have lived in many so it is pertinent information to you… if you are talking with Thai in English, many will not have the Eng language skills to express any deeper curiosity on a subject they know little about.

if I bring up the subject, in Thai language, most have some interest but it needs to be sparked - others it comes right out. You might be curious about Quantum Physics, knowing it is another world of information, but not really know what questions to ask if you have not read up on it - some people would be interested, others not really.

The people I'm around with haven't a clue nor do they care about the rest of the world and I love that. They have heard of some countries mostly from friends who have left Thailand for work. It's the so-called educated folks who think they know..........talk to some Euros and you'll hear - oh in the USA drug dealers are everywhere and everyone carries a gun. I'll never go there because it's so dangerous. bla-bla-bla

They don't ask because they don't want to lose face when they realise that you know that they don't know w.tf you're talking about.

yes, that is my feeling too. On the other hand, my wife's friends are asking her: how was it living abroad, what were you eating, how was the weather, clothes, and how was your husband?

Somehow strange for me is, that Thai girl/wifes asking about their partners/husbands....

The arrogance of thinking you're so interesting and enigmatic that Thais should be falling over themselves to find out more about you is breathtaking.

It's just one more example of the neo-colonial self-importance that afflicts far too many foreigners here - most of whom can be easily described with one word . . . UNREMARKABLE

You're not pioneers, explorers or men of vision in khakis roaming the new frontier bringing civilization to the "barbarians"

You're economic migrants and sex refugees and, with the proliferation of the internet and social media, the Thais KNOW it

If you call yourself like that it's fair enough.

The arrogance of thinking you're so interesting and enigmatic that Thais should be falling over themselves to find out more about you is breathtaking.

It's just one more example of the neo-colonial self-importance that afflicts far too many foreigners here - most of whom can be easily described with one word . . . UNREMARKABLE

You're not pioneers, explorers or men of vision in khakis roaming the new frontier bringing civilization to the "barbarians"

You're economic migrants and sex refugees and, with the proliferation of the internet and social media, the Thais KNOW it

If you call yourself like that it's fair enough.

I'm not the one who started a thread lamenting on the Thais' inability to recognise just how much I had to offer them, though, am I?

YOU are

Sorry Double post!

I never ask Thai people about life in The Boondocks, nor in the slums of Klong Toey. I should be more intellectually curious.

5555, good analogy.

What this boils down to is this topic has nothing to do with Thais or farangs or intellectual curiosity or any other nonsense. Fact is, people that the OP meets just aren't interested in where he's from or anything else about him. And so his feelings are hurt.

Nice try. You really see what the OP is talking about when you stand Thais next to their neighbors. It's like night and day for the most part, as the level of genuine intellectual curiosity is just so much higher throughout other SE Asian countries. Everything just seems very surface level between Thais and foreigners. Similar to the relationship an adult might have with children. Like, the child will ask the adult questions here and there, but struggle to comprehend or read much into the answers. I used to be the lone foreigner in an office that frequently hosted international guests. And every time- no matter where the guest was from- they were always looking at me like we were the lone adults in the room.

So you like to think of yourself as the only adult in the room. I'm certain that if you had to engage a room full of Thais and do so exclusively in the Thai language, you'd have an emotional intelligence score of about zero. You'd be lower than a five year old child. That's about the extent of your intellectual curiosity.

Sorry Double post!

5555, good analogy.

So you like to think of yourself as the only adult in the room. I'm certain that if you had to engage a room full of Thais and do so exclusively in the Thai language, you'd have an emotional intelligence score of about zero. You'd be lower than a five year old child. That's about the extent of your intellectual curiosity.

I'm curious enough to live in their country and explore their culture. Anyway, I'm talking about Thais that can communicate in English well, so your point is mute.

5555, good analogy.

I'm curious enough to live in their country and explore their culture. Anyway, I'm talking about Thais that can communicate in English well, so your point is mute.

C'mon, you know darn well that there are very few Thais in Thailand who can speak English as well as they can speak Thai. Which means that most Thais aren't comfortable speaking English except for the most basic conversations (BGs excluded). You're just trying to bash on the Thais as per usual on an issue that's hard to prove or disapprove. The Thais that I know are just as intellectually curious as any other nationality. To say otherwise is just making stuff up...or a reflection of the kind of Thais you hang out with.

C'mon, you know darn well that there are very few Thais in Thailand who can speak English as well as they can speak Thai. Which means that most Thais aren't comfortable speaking English except for the most basic conversations (BGs excluded). You're just trying to bash on the Thais as per usual on an issue that's hard to prove or disapprove. The Thais that I know are just as intellectually curious as any other nationality. To say otherwise is just making stuff up...or a reflection of the kind of Thais you hang out with.

Not bashing, mate. If you read my posts on this issue carefully, you'll find I'm open to the possibility that there could be cultural issues at play here. Maybe Thais don't like having deep conversations with foreigners. Or perhaps they feel it intrusive to ask detailed questions. And that's fine. We're not all the same kind of people in this world. But Thais are absolutely very unique individuals. None of us can deny that. And it seems to me like there's more of a connection issue at hand than an English language ability one. In fact, I'd say the younger, less educated people I interact with here are more curious than the older, highly educated ones I know.

A long time ago my buddies and I put a large map of the world up on the wall and had our gf's play ......Where is????? For the most part it was a guessing game for them and a drinking game for us.......Every wrong answer do a shot.

Not bashing, mate. If you read my posts on this issue carefully, you'll find I'm open to the possibility that there could be cultural issues at play here. Maybe Thais don't like having deep conversations with foreigners. Or perhaps they feel it intrusive to ask detailed questions. And that's fine. We're not all the same kind of people in this world. But Thais are absolutely very unique individuals. None of us can deny that. And it seems to me like there's more of a connection issue at hand than an English language ability one. In fact, I'd say the younger, less educated people I interact with here are more curious than the older, highly educated ones I know.

Fair enough. Your last sentence is enlightening and possibly true. Your observation would suggest that curiosity has nothing to do with education or intelligence. For example, I meet people all the time, of all nationalities. Rarely do I find people interesting enough for me to ask probing questions, or even to get to know them better. But it's more to do with the fact that I already have enough friends and not seeking anymore. Especially if I can't communicate with them at a high level.

With attractive young females....I'm willing to overlook such details.

Fair enough. Your last sentence is enlightening and possibly true. Your observation would suggest that curiosity has nothing to do with education or intelligence. For example, I meet people all the time, of all nationalities. Rarely do I find people interesting enough for me to ask probing questions, or even to get to know them better. But it's more to do with the fact that I already have enough friends and not seeking anymore. Especially if I can't communicate with them at a high level.

With attractive young females....I'm willing to overlook such details.

I will agree with you strongly on that. The older a get the less I care about learning things about people. Feel more and more like I've seen em all. Actually, I'm more interested in learning from my elders than anyone else...

I will also add this to the conversation: I think there's a massive issue here with stereotypes related to prostitution, scummy foreigners, etc. A few of my more affluent Thai friends have confessed they were raised to believe we are all bad guys. I sense deep down many of the people here either think they're above us and/or feel embarrassed to be seen talking to us. And the lower class probably care less about that. Nevertheless it is very refreshing when you meet Thais that are totally unencumbered and different.