Thai airlines in safety concern list

webfact

SOUTH KOREA
Thai airlines in safety concern list

Sejong - Six foreign airlines operating in South Korea are classified as having safety concerns, the transportation ministry here said Wednesday, pledging to step up monitoring of flights with poor safety records.

According to Yonhap news agency, South Korea’s Land, Infrastructure and Transport Ministry revealed the list of six foreign airlines from three nations -- Kazakhstan, Thailand and Indonesia -- as well as this year’s major accidents on its website in a bid to encourage passengers to select safe airlines.

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), an international aviation watchdog, in July put 14 nations on the aviation safety concern list. Among them, four Thailand-registered budget airlines and Kazakhstan’s Air Astana are flying to and from South Korea.

Garuda Indonesia was among the flights with poor safety records named by the U.S. aviation safety authority.

"We will reflect the safety evaluation results by the international organizations and advanced nations in banning new flights of airlines on the list and strengthen monitoring of them," the ministry said.

Foreign airlines account for about 38 percent of international flights in the nation, according to the ministry.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Thai-airlines-in-safety-concern-list-30269369.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-23

Naming Garuda Airlines without naming the four THAI registered airlines is a reflection of the countries attitude towards in neighbors and propensity to cover its own a$_$.

And, as usual, very poor reporting and very poor editing.

Months back there was announcement about media reform. Nothing happened.

So which are the Thai airlines in question?

I flew on Bangkok Air PG962 from Singapore on Monday Night to Samui.

One of the Exit Doors over the Starboard Wing had a piece of paper taped over the illuminated Exit Sign and a No Entry sign on the Exit Door.

I personally am getting concerned. This has to breach it's Airworthiness Certificate.

The Aircraft was 98% full.

sad.png

Reporting in this manner by a very previously proven biased media organisation is absolutely childish, rediculous and very biased. What about the four Thai Airlines,no mention, are people not to be informed?

...are people not to be informed?

Thailand’s military government has ordered the creation of a great firewall of Thailand to control the flow of information on the Internet.

So the answer is: NO!

Koreans also have had serious safety issues with pilot error, due to the status of the copilot as more or less an inflatable dummy like in "Airplane!" Such was the case with the San Francisco crash of the Korean airliner. (As an aside, it is absolutely appalling that the fire engines ran over the poor girl who had been ejected from the plane and was still alive, not once but twice! What the hell, were they blind or drunk? That still burns me.)

One of the Exit Doors over the Starboard Wing had a piece of paper taped over the illuminated Exit Sign and a No Entry sign on the Exit Door.

I personally am getting concerned. This has to breach it's Airworthiness Certificate.

sad.png

Would you want to exit through an unsafe door ?

Gentlemen,

It appears there has been no conspiracy to protect recalcitrant local carriers on the part of the Thai media. This post is based on an article in the Korea Observer about how that country may respond (http://www.koreaobserver.com/6-foreign-airlines-on-safety-concern-list-50171/)

Thailand was red-flagged by the International Civil Aviation Organization (a United Nations Agency by the way) along with twelve other nations in March this year.

While not mentioning specific airlines, the red-flag was issued to Thailand because, “ICAO has identified a significant safety concern with respect to the ability of this State to properly oversee its airlines (air operators) under its jurisdiction”.

I have attached a plot of the eight key performance measures: Legislation; Organisation; Licensing; Operations; Airworthiness; Accident Investigation; Air Navigation Services; and Aerodromes.

Of these, is would appear that the red-flag is for Operations, see my red circle!

I have also included in the plot, the ratings of the US, Germany, UK, and Australia. While the other countries are above the global average for all key indicators, Thailand is well below average!

Incidentally, the other red-flag nations are: Angola, Botswana, Djibouti, Eritrea, Georgia, Haiti, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Malawi, Nepal, Sierra Leone and Uruguay.

Full details can be found at http://www.icao.int/safety/Pages/USOAP-Results.aspx

From news.com.au, June 22, 2015

THAILAND has failed to meet a deadline for addressing safety concerns about its oversight of its airlines and has been added to a list of nations whose aviation authorities fall short of international standards, the UN body regulating world air traffic said.

A spokesman for the International Civil Aviation Organization, Anthony Philbin, said from the groups headquarters in Montreal that its main concern focused on Thailands ability to conduct air operator certifications.

ICAO audited Thailand in January for the first time since 2005 and in March gave Thai authorities 90 days to rectify shortcomings it had found. Thailand failed to meet the deadline and joined 12 other nations found deficient in managing their airlines: Angola, Botswana, Djibouti, Eritrea, Georgia, Haiti, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Malawi, Nepal, Sierra Leone and Uruguay. There are 187 ICAO members in all.

Thailands preliminary listing in March caused disruption to the countrys airline industry, as the ICAO evaluation led Japan, South Korea and China to temporarily block Thai airlines from adding more flights or otherwise modifying their schedules.

On the plus side, it was also stated.....

Philbin and Thai transport officials stressed that the new listing does not amount to a fresh downgrading of Thai aviation, and said the countrys aviation authorities are working hard to correct the problems. The ICAO spokesman said Thai Deputy Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith travelled to ICAO headquarters recently to stress his countrys commitment, at the highest level, to continue to address this matter in their civil aviation authority, and we continue to work collaboratively with Thailand to help it achieve that goal.

sad.png

If you Google Un band airlines or Geoff Thomas aviation guru , you will see a whole heap of carriers that don't meet standards , if you don't see on your tickets IATA start worrying. I would say that carrier Bangkok Air , wouldn't pass any spit test.

Koreans also have had serious safety issues with pilot error, due to the status of the copilot as more or less an inflatable dummy like in "Airplane!" Such was the case with the San Francisco crash of the Korean airliner. (As an aside, it is absolutely appalling that the fire engines ran over the poor girl who had been ejected from the plane and was still alive, not once but twice! What the hell, were they blind or drunk? That still burns me.)

She was covered in foam from the fire trucks and they were unable to see her, so they were neither blind nor drunk.

I thought Bangkok Air just got some fancy Award a few weeks ago ... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Thailand will have to bend over and ICAO + more will kick their behind ... They should be banned instantly ... gigglem.gif

"Bangkok Airways voted one of the Top Ten Airlines Overall Worldwide 2015 by SmartTravelAsia.com readers"

Reported on TV on 5 September, see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/853681-bangkok-airways-voted-one-of-the-top-ten-airlines-overall-worldwide-2015-by-smarttravelasiacom-read/

sad.png

Do you think there should be unsafe emergency exit doors....on a plane??

sad.png

Not the point. The Aircraft has insufficient doors to provide a speedy exit.

The Bangkok Airways defective overwing exit, that Kim Samui reported, is indeed worrying.

I think Bangkok Airways operate an Airbus 319 on the Singapore route, with single overwing exits.- Total 6 exits

Other airlines such as Easyjet operate their 319's with double overwing exits.- Total 8 exits.

I would hazard a guess, that this is a "No Go" defect?

Any T.V. aviators like to comment?

sad.png

Not the point. The Aircraft has insufficient doors to provide a speedy exit.

They do the same in shoppingmalls where there are small nailstudio's in front of the emergency exitdoors.