Religious Leaders Join to Fight Child Abuse

geovalin

Khmer Times/Va Sonyka

PHNOM PENH (Khmer Times) – The leaders of Buddhism, Islam and Christianity, the three main religions in Cambodia, are joining together to fight for children’s rights and stamp out child abuse.

In a workshop hosted by the Ministry of Cults and Religion (MOCAR), the spokesman for MOCAR, Seng Somony, said this event illustrates how little religious conflict there is in the country and shows everyone is united in trying to develop the nation.

Mr. Somony said that each religion has a theory about the moral need to help children, but religious sects needed to be more proactive in their efforts.

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/16101/religious-leaders-join-to-fight-child-abuse/

We can look forward then to seeing consultations between these leaders and the executive, and the legislature (and making those two distinctly separate bodies if they're not already) and further, in order to stamp out corruption, they'll need to lobby for a truly independent judiciary while they're at it - quite a job really - I wish them luck but won't be holding my breath.

All I think it demonstrates is that they all agree that they ought to be seen to be doing something.