Be very Wary Of Google Translate!

menzies233

I had my tax certificate ripped off or nicked from my bike the other day. From what I read on this forum I needed to make a police report then take my passport, police report etc. to the LVO.

I was a bit stuck with the translation of "Police Report" So i typed it into Google translate, which came up with "Rygnan Kong Tam Ruat"- I understood the Tam Ruat bit as being the BIB, but apparently it actually means something like "put the plastic bag for the police!"

What a disaster.

So I tried "Kam Sang" again, didn't get much of a response.

The lovely police officer on duty helped me with "Pasee Tanon Hai" Whereas Google translate gives you "Soon Hee Hai" as for LOST.

Anyway after 10 minutes I guess they realized I was a moron, and 4 cops took me outside to look at motorbikes, all of which had the tax sticker stuck to the bike. Now we were getting somewhere. My tax certificate was rolled up and in one of those plastic tubes that you scew to the number plate.

Anyway, once the cops understood what I meant, the lovely lady on the desk wrote a report and photocopied it for me, she would not take one Baht for the copy.

I drove to the main LTO on Hang Dong CM Highway with all papers in hand and was basically told to get lost - the main office only deals with cars. They told me I needed to go to Nong Hoi near Sarahpi.

Anyway, after a photocopy of my passport and visa, along with the police report, they gave me a new tax disc in 5 minutes. Really efficient service, printed it all out on a Canon 230 Printer, the 3D thing seems to be pre - printed. 20 Baht + 5 Baht, total 25 Baht, 300 Baht in Diesel, almost 180KM round trip for a 100 Baht tax sticker!

What can I say, I may drop off a bunch of flowers for that lovely lady cop back at the Ampur! (She was more interested in my China Visas and working life in China and my kid in Thailand, there are some really good people here

Edited by menzies233

forget google translate, just ask us!!!

i'm 110% fluent

maybe more

They were both fluent. But unfortunately in different languages.

Reminds me of when W was president and he was trying to speak Spanish. Amazing to see someone illiterate in two languages. biggrin.png

David

i'm 110% fluent

maybe more

Reminds me of when W was president and he was trying to speak Spanish. Amazing to see someone illiterate in two languages. biggrin.png

David

Si, claro!

On some contracts in Vietnam, I have a 'minder' from the state-owned oil company with diabolical English ability who copy/pastes my reports and emails into google translate, reads them and then composes his own daily report to email to his boss. On a typical day, his boss calls me on the phone about an hour after getting the other guys report and asks me what's really happening.

i'm 110% fluent

maybe more

David

His statement "there's no word for entrepeneur in French" cracked me up, moron.