Phu Tab Berg

JAS21

Or however you spell it ...

We intend driving up, from BK on Monday for a few days of cool weather. Can anyone recommend where we might stay, near or at the view point. I don't really want to rough it too much but suspect that I might have to.

If you have a GPS reference all the better. What I am thinking of is somewhere for the first night and then maybe have a look at a few places.

I can't even find the GPS reference of the View Point ... anyone have it please. Will we need a woolly jumper? thanks

Phu Tab Berk.

Situated off the right hand side of Route 12 not far from Lom Sak,the road number escapes me at the moment but I will have a look on the map shortly.

There are numerous resorts once you get to the top of the mountain ,some nice little chalet type resorts and lots of camping in tents.

I live in Lom Sak and travel up there often on my motorbike,certain there will be lots of cabbages around also.

Probably 14/15 degrees in the very early morning so yes a coat will be needed.

If your going to be staying a few days then I would suggest a ride up to Khao Khor where there are a few nice sites,the monument at Khao Khor where the Thai communists held out in the 1970s is worth a look as is the large pagoda on the way and the Wat on the way up Wat Pha Sorn Kaew.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g673836-d4322518-Reviews-Pratamnakkhaoko-Khao_Kho_Phetchabun_Province.html

There are numerous waterfalls further up Route 12 which goes to Phitsanulok known as the green route which has lost some charm due to the road now being widened to four lanes.

Lots of coffee shops and nice eateries as well,can even get a steak on the right hand side once up the mountain Steak Khao Khor nice T bone very reasonable.

If you need any further info just PM me,I'm not at home in Lom Sak at present due to work commitments but will endeavour to help .

Cheers.

stoneyboy, on 24 Sept 2015 - 22:34, said:

Phu Tab Berk.

Situated off the right hand side of Route 12 not far from Lom Sak,the road number escapes me at the moment but I will have a look on the map shortly.

There are numerous resorts once you get to the top of the mountain ,some nice little chalet type resorts and lots of camping in tents.

I live in Lom Sak and travel up there often on my motorbike,certain there will be lots of cabbages around also.

If your going to be staying a few days then I would suggest a ride up to Khao Khor where there are a few nice sites,the monument at Khao Khor where the Thai communists held out in the 1970s is worth a look as is the large pagoda on the way and the Wat on the way up Wat Pha Sorn Kaew.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g673836-d4322518-Reviews-Pratamnakkhaoko-Khao_Kho_Phetchabun_Province.html

There are numerous waterfalls further up Route 12 which goes to Phitsanulok known as the green route which has lost some charm due to the road now being widened to four lanes.

Lots of coffee shops and nice eateries as well,can even get a steak on the right hand side once up the mountain Steak Khao Khor nice T bone very reasonable.

If you need any further info just PM me,I'm not at home in Lom Sak at present due to work commitments but will endeavour to help .

Cheers.

Thanks ... I've sorted the GPS points and roads from Route 12 are 2372 and then 2331. And found Steak Khao Kor on Route 12

stoneyboy, on 24 Sept 2015 - 22:34, said:

Phu Tab Berk.

Cheers.

Thanks ... I've sorted the GPS points and roads from Route 12 are 2372 and then 2331. And found Steak Khao Kor on Route 12

It's quite well sign posted as well,don't forget the chicken on route at Wichian Buri,Thailand KFC.

you definitely need a wooly jumper........and hat, scarf, big coat .been up there a few times ,thai family have resort up there so spent a lot of times up there with the original hill tribe people having great whole pigs going on the bbq.

accommodation isn't cheap up there especially for what you get ,but it is a great experience spending the night up there.

The building with the red roof is where i stayed the first time i went up there ,didn't even have a door and the clouds were inside the room at night.

post-105817-0-11360900-1443113193_thumb.

Edited by taninthai

Third night here now ...was 21C at the Main View Point yesterday morning at 6am.

Today the place got 'submerged' in mist at times. Now it's raining hard ...pity those in the tent. So expect plenty of mist tomorrow morning apparently

Khao Kor tomorrow I think.

We have spent time at the temple. Been taken to the Radar Station. Visited the Kings (Royal) Project and a couple of other places I forgot the name of.

Such a shame ... little 'for rent' places sprouting nearly everywhere. We have stayed at three different places ...1500, 800 and 1000baht. Some places are a complete rip off. Apparently tomorrow starts the high season and price increases.

Might write a few more words after we get back

Edited by JAS21

• 3 weeks later...

We ate at Steak Khao Kor, as recommended. My wife (her choice) had the T-Bone (299baht and not to be recommended)... pleased that I didn't have it! ... I had the Striploin and it was a good decision, quite tender and tasty (for 399bath good value). Then we went to Story Cup By Coffee Hill ... well worth a visit.

I can recommend Viewpoint Hotel (sometimes called Hotel Viewpoint), book direct. A great view in the morning from the room of the mist rolling across the valley.

post-17329-0-40791600-1445268438_thumb.j

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

R2331 up to the summit is absolute beauty, rode it 4 times up and down over the years.

It's on my list (by car) after I read about it in another recent thread about the location.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1039844-how-steep-are-the-roads-up-to-phu-tub-berk-mountain-in-phetchabun/

• Like 1