Phuket Bang Khu underpass traffic diversions to last two years

Lite Beer

Phuket Bang Khu underpass traffic diversions to last two years
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1443181152_1-org.jpg
Traffic at the Bang Khu Intersection will be rerouted from next Thursday (Oct 1). Photo: Tanyaluck Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Traffic in both directions, north and south, between the bypass road and Thpkrasattri Rd will be uninterrupted, Phuket Highways Office Chief Samak Luedwonghad told The Phuket News.

However, motorists heading north along the bypass road wanting to turn right and head southbound along Thepkrsaattri Rd will have to continue north for 200 metres first, then make a u-turn and head south toward Phuket Town, he added.

“Motorists heading southbound along Thepkrasattri Rd will be able to continue directly to Sapam and onto Phuket Town without having to wait for traffic lights, but those heading north along Thepkrasattri Rd wanting to turn left onto the bypass road will have to wait for traffic lights,” Mr Samak said.

“We have discussed this with traffic police and we are quite confident that this measure will not affect too many people. It certainly will help more people than not.”

The Phuket Highways chief admitted that his office was willing to make adjustments to the new traffic flow, depending on feedback from commuters.

“If this new traffic flow does not affect too many people and works as well as we expect it to, it will be continued until the Bang Khu Underpass is finished in about two years.

“But we are still open to comments and suggestions from the public,” he said.

Mr Samak urged any persons with comments or suggestions for the new traffic flow at the busy intersection to contact his office.

“Anyone who has problems with this new traffic flow or would like to express their ideas, please call Project Engineer Somkiet Yimpong at 083-702 4441 or Ital-Thai Project manager Narong Ho-Ree at 086-677 4664,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bang-khu-underpass-traffic-diversions-to-last-two-years-54261.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-25

What two more years? I thought they were to be finished early next year. Then start the Chalong underpass and another near the airport. We're screwed for many years to come it seems. And why is the only underpass that's open only three lanes instead of four and the roads above it are still a total mess. Amazing Thailand…

Deadlines are made for some reason.
Not sure what it is though.

The tunnel at Tesco was supposed to (originally) be finished in 2 years.
I think it's going on 4 now and doesn't look anywhere near completion.

But must say, this one at Bang Khu seems to be moving along fairly quickly in comparison.

I read somewhere that the Chalong underpass was going to start in early Sept and the company would be fined millions of baht for each week (or was it month) that it would go over.
But, doesn't seem to bother them (or me) as it has not started yet and the month is almost over.

Deadlines! Yeah right.

I agree with whoever said they should be working 24 hours a day on these projects with quality planning and workers.

Would be nice if they put all the workers on 3 shifts and finished one at a time, before starting the next one.

What two more years? I thought they were to be finished early next year. Then start the Chalong underpass and another near the airport. We're screwed for many years to come it seems. And why is the only underpass that's open only three lanes instead of four and the roads above it are still a total mess. Amazing Thailand…

Finishing early next year was never the plan, and it is a different company working here than the Chalong Underpass (Chalong is same company as Tesco underpass, which does not forebode much good).

I think the U-turn will turn out ok, same as the U-turn at Tesco underpass has helped tremendously there. Still working, but hardly ever problems there.