PM pleads with his opponents in the US to think about the country’s image

Lite Beer

This poor sap; I almost feel sorry for him. He is so far over his head.

He's such an embarrassment for Thailand.

Maybe he should think about "the country's image" and step down.

Step down? And what then? Let the corrupt/immoral/unethical Shin mafia back in to pillage and plunder the remaining funds and people of Thailand?

Are you for real? Did you actually live in Thailand when Thaksin was running the country?

Because unless you have dementia, you would remember that government debt was reduced during his time in office. He lowered the debt of the country then. And that's pretty amazing considering he introduced 30 baht universal healthcare scheme and build the new airport and developed many of the "mega project" tranportation projects.

Not only that but the economy was performing much better then than it is now.

He got lucky the country was coming out of recession in 2002.

He got "lucky" on the decision about his declaration of assets..how he wasn't disqualified is still in question.

I have Thai business acquaintances..there opinion of that time is corruption became endemic..

The new airport he wanted to cancel initially..and retender.

What mega transport schemes.. The bts and mrt were authorised after the Asian crisis to stimulate the economy..

He did some good no doubt. He helped those who had been ignored, he gave the Thais back their hope after 6 years of depression and some over the top criticism by the IMF , but overall right man right place who became despotic..

How can anyone justify the rice scheme or the unethical way he manipulated the law to benefit his company..which he then sold..

Back at least he recognised the more disenfranchised.

You mean he shifted some wealth from the rich to the poor. It's called welfare politics, and the rich hate it.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This poor sap; I almost feel sorry for him. He is so far over his head.

He's such an embarrassment for Thailand.

Maybe he should think about "the country's image" and step down.

Step down? And what then? Let the corrupt/immoral/unethical Shin mafia back in to pillage and plunder the remaining funds and people of Thailand?

Are you for real? Did you actually live in Thailand when Thaksin was running the country?

Because unless you have dementia, you would remember that government debt was reduced during his time in office. He lowered the debt of the country then. And that's pretty amazing considering he introduced 30 baht universal healthcare scheme and build the new airport and developed many of the "mega project" tranportation projects.

Not only that but the economy was performing much better then than it is now.

He got lucky the country was coming out of recession in 2002.

He got "lucky" on the decision about his declaration of assets..how he wasn't disqualified is still in question.

I have Thai business acquaintances..there opinion of that time is corruption became endemic..

The new airport he wanted to cancel initially..and retender.

What mega transport schemes.. The bts and mrt were authorised after the Asian crisis to stimulate the economy..

He did some good no doubt. He helped those who had been ignored, he gave the Thais back their hope after 6 years of depression and some over the top criticism by the IMF , but overall right man right place who became despotic..

How can anyone justify the rice scheme or the unethical way he manipulated the law to benefit his company..which he then sold..

Back at least he recognised the more disenfranchised.

In a way, even Prayout admit Thaksin did a good job as he just appointed his economy minister

MR. PM I as a US citizen have no right to request anything here in Thailand and respect that fact nor do you have the right to request in my home country The US has freedom of speech freedom of assembly, freedom of choice, Also all people are equal under the law. Also Mr PM Thais can buy property and home's, land without quota's open business without being told for American's only. No two tier price system. Are afforded same right's as US citizens in all matters.

Ha, I think these kind of angles are very legit.

On this note, I read that the narcissistic personality test has been reduced to one question deemed virtually fool-proof:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/the-one-question-can-tell-us-whos-narcissist

Apparently narcissists aren't ashamed at all of it. Quite interesting.

Sad to say the coup was probably needed due to the actions of the previous government but that justification only lasts if you make some attempt to improve things. At the moment it looks more like it's worse than before and will end up being a wasted opportunity.

If he wants to achieve democracy in a sustainable way he needs to reach out to moderates on all sides to counter the extremists that are present in varying degrees within the opposing parties. There's not much evidence that I can see that he's doing anything like that.

Things were certainly a mess but giving the opposing parties only a couple of hours of FTF in a controlled (i.e. not on the street) situation and then arresting them all and taking control of the country? That makes the attempt at mediation look like a ruse and the coup pre-planned, and I doubt just to me alone.

I would like to see a list of all the former military coups around the world that have made the countries they control more democratic--intentionally, and due to actions during or as a consequence of actions taken by the group i.e. Junta that took control. I'm a student of history and can't think of one....but am willing to and would in fact be very happy to hear of such stories as I personally strongly hope this work out for the better at least for the Thai people and secondly their neighbours who are all politically influenced by Thailand to some degree.

Sad to say the coup was probably needed due to the actions of the previous government but that justification only lasts if you make some attempt to improve things. At the moment it looks more like it's worse than before and will end up being a wasted opportunity.

If he wants to achieve democracy in a sustainable way he needs to reach out to moderates on all sides to counter the extremists that are present in varying degrees within the opposing parties. There's not much evidence that I can see that he's doing anything like that.

Things were certainly a mess but giving the opposing parties only a couple of hours of FTF in a controlled (i.e. not on the street) situation and then arresting them all and taking control of the country? That makes the attempt at mediation look like a ruse and the coup pre-planned, and I doubt just to me alone.

I would like to see a list of all the former military coups around the world that have made the countries they control more democratic--intentionally, and due to actions during or as a consequence of actions taken by the group i.e. Junta that took control. I'm a student of history and can't think of one....but am willing to and would in fact be very happy to hear of such stories as I personally strongly hope this work out for the better at least for the Thai people and secondly their neighbours who are all politically influenced by Thailand to some degree.

Army and democracy(and freedom of speech) are simply not compatibles. For the fisrt one the motto is :follow the orders from above and do not ask or question the reasons and final goal of your orders

Maybe economy and democracy are not compatibles either.

Question capitalism and call for an economic revolution, and you might end up in jail (or worse)

What would happen in case of a general strike? Any doubts the army would take over?

Edited by micmichd

"...the prime minister said that he did not attend the UN General Assembly on his own capacity but on behalf of the country."

Since when did anyone attend a United Nations General Assembly 'on their own capacity'?

Lucky for him the Thai Brain has been kept out of sunlight so long already he can get away with guck like this.

A fine grilling is in order but I won't be holding my breath he'll allow himself onto a decent enough spit not to still be able to spin himself home.

Edited by Squeegee

Shouldn't the headline read: "PM pleads with his opponents in the US to think about HIS image"?

How to bring happiness to the nation: Step 1) find sand. Step 2) bury head. Step 3) use draconian laws and Section 44 to force populace to do the same. Repeat steps 1-3 often for maximum effect.