Chinese tourist drowns after ignoring red flag warnings on Phuket beach

Lite Beer

Chinese tourist drowns after ignoring red flag warnings on Phuket beach
Darawan Naknakhon

1443236448_1-org.jpg

Tourist assistant volunteers tried to save the man but were unsuccessful.

PHUKET: A Chinese tourist drowned when he ignored the red flag warnings and went swimming at Kata Noi beach yesterday (Sept 25). Tourist assistant volunteers tried to save the man but were unsuccessful.

At 5:30pm yesterday evening, Karon police were called to Kata Noi beach to investigate the reported drowning of a Chinese tourist, and upon arrival with Kusoldharm rescue workers found a group of people gathered around the body of the victim. Red flags were flying along the beach.

The body of the 26-year-old, whose name has been withheld until his family have been notified, was lying on the beach wearing only a pair of shorts.

Police were told that the body of the man was recovered from the sea by Kata beach tourist assistants.

Lt Chatri Chuwichien said that the victim and his girlfriend had gone to Kata Noi beach by motorbike. Both of them had ignored the red flag warnings and entered the sea.

A wave swept the victim out to sea and Boonrit Mathong, a Karon tourist assistance, who witnessed the incident, went in to help the victim and brought his body back to shore.

The body was taken to Vachira Hospital.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-drowns-after-ignoring-red-flag-warnings-on-phuket-beach-54265.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-26

I certainly wouldn't go in the ocean when it looks like that and I've lived and swam at the beach all my life. I know the Chinese tourists want to go in the ocean as they probably never have, but they need to be educated to the dangers or there will just be more bodies coming ashore. RIP young man.

In a lot of places I've lived, the sea state in that picture would be considered a calm day. We swam anyway.

The prudent thing to do in a tourist area would be to post lifeguards to enforce the red flags. Not everyone will know what a red flag means, and not everyone will take them seriously, especially if you're on the holiday of a lifetime, the red flags are up the whole time you're there, and they're more of a "suggestion" than a rule- which seems to be the case.

Condolences to the guy's loved ones.

Edited by impulse

In a lot of places I've lived, the sea state in that picture would be considered a calm day. We swam anyway.

The prudent thing to do in a tourist area would be to post lifeguards to enforce the red flags. Not everyone will know what a red flag means, and not everyone will take them seriously, especially if you're on the holiday of a lifetime, the red flags are up the whole time you're there, and they're more of a "suggestion" than a rule- which seems to be the case.

Doesn't the colour RED have different meanings in China?

Some of the posters sound like they are missing the British nanny state, where every unfortunate incident is someone else's fault and individual stupidity is never a factor.

That comment borders on the idiotic!

A wave swept the victim out to sea and Boonrit Mathong, a Karon tourist assistance, who witnessed the incident, went in to help the victim and brought his body back to shore.

maybe BEFORE THE TOURIST GOES INTO THE WATER is a good time to "assist".

Dont talk rubbish there was red flags flying its no ones fault but the Chinese tourist that ignored it

The prudent thing to do would be for the tour companies bringing the groups in, and the hotels they are staying in to pr[perly educate their customers about the dangers of swimming on Phuket's West coast during the SW monsoon season, including the meaning of red flags.

I think the Thai volunteers are doing their best with the level of training and expertise they have to warn people and to attempt rescue.

The Thais should not be expected to take responsibility and possibly risk their own lives for the actions of ignorant tourists, whether Chinese or Western.

Some of the posters sound like they are missing the British nanny state, where every unfortunate incident is someone else's fault and individual stupidity is never a factor.

I agree, but u wouldn't be a getting way to typical racist anti-Thai TV poster unless you blamed it on a Thai.

Even in a nanny state like Australia With regulations, punishments, and a lifeguard system second to none, this happens with tourists (and even some non- tourists) regularly

You are correct, individuals have to take some responsibility for their stupid actions

The prudent thing to do would be for the tour companies bringing the groups in, and the hotels they are staying in to pr[perly educate their customers about the dangers of swimming on Phuket's West coast during the SW monsoon season, including the meaning of red flags.

I think the Thai volunteers are doing their best with the level of training and expertise they have to warn people and to attempt rescue.

The Thais should not be expected to take responsibility and possibly risk their own lives for the actions of ignorant tourists, whether Chinese or Western.

Not sure about other hotels, but the one I went some times back (forgotten the name) had a board on a stand near the check in counter warning about going in to the sea as the wave was strong. But there are still some tourists ignoring it and went into the sea anyway. The hotel staff if not expected to keep an eye for everyone staying in the hotel. It is the guest responsibility too to take care of themselves.

One of the problems I see is the red flags get put out even on a calm day.
I don't know about Kata Noi as I don't swim there.
But at Nai Harn, they put out red flags most every day.
Whether they are needed or not.
So, they tend to get ignored.
When this is the case, you must use your own judgement or, just stay out of the sea at all times the way I see it.
I imagine the Chinese guy saw other people swimming so figured it was OK.

Happens a lot I believe.

I agree, but u wouldn't be a getting way to typical racist anti-Thai TV poster unless you blamed it on a Thai.

Even in a nanny state like Australia With regulations, punishments, and a lifeguard system second to none, this happens with tourists (and even some non- tourists) regularly

You are correct, individuals have to take some responsibility for their stupid actions

I didn't read this as being 'anti Thai'?? Anti stupid, yes. Conversely, if the victim had been Thai, this thread would've barely had more than two comments with the usual RIPs.

My local beach in Rayong has red flags EVERY day - whether it's rough (1-1.5 m waves at most) or flat calm... There's nearly always an onshore breeze (which is forever washing up rubbish), usually a small sideways current, and there is occasionally a strong undertow after the waves break. There are warning signs about rip-tides, but I've never felt any outward rips. There are a couple of "beachguard" towers (maybe 3 or 4 along the 10 km stretch), but I've never seen them occupied. There are 1-2 fatalities most years (that I get to hear about).

I try to swim every day, whatever the weather and sea conditions, usually 1/2 to 1km along the beach, or occasionally if the waves are too big, out for 3-400 meters then back in (with the waves helping). Never had any problems (other than a very occasional jellyfish rash - which causes panic more than real problems).

But my point is, because the flags are out every day, most people simply ignore them, and on the few occasions that someone does get into difficulty - they get lambasted for ignoring the flags. The flags are meaningless other than an indication that there are no lifeguards present, and EVERYONE swims at their own risk depending on their own ability. Anyone suggesting that people should be banned from swimming under certain conditions needs to go back to their nanny state origins.

The prudent thing to do would be for the tour companies bringing the groups in, and the hotels they are staying in to properly educate their customers about the dangers of swimming on Phuket's West coast during the SW monsoon season, including the meaning of red flags.

You're right. They're not obligated to do diddly squat. They're free to stay right near the top of the list of dangerous destinations that are appealing mostly because they're cheap. And continue to attract the lowest budget travelers. Gajillions of them. Until they thrash the resource to oblivion because they aren't making enough revenue to actually do any maintenance. on the resource.

Or, they can hire and train lifeguards (and traffic cops, but that's a whole 'nother thread) that are one small step in pulling Thailand out of the dangerous but cheap destination category.

Why would you swim when there is no decent surf ? I love to body surf, but by the photo's back ground, it looks like blown out crap! To each his own I suppose. Enjoy!

Why would you swim when there is no decent surf ? I love to body surf, but by the photo's back ground, it looks like blown out crap! To each his own I suppose. Enjoy!

The best time to go swimming... is whenever you can make it to the beach. For some of us, that's quite often. For others, it's a lifelong dream and years of saving up.

At all the beaches in Phuket, the lifeguards have strongly-worded cards in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian and English to show to tourists who perhaps do not understand the red flags and are venturing into the water. But if the tourist chooses to ignore those written warnings, then what can one do?

Perhaps he was in the sea before the lifeguards had a chance to warn him of the dangers.