Media 'must reform to ensure quality journalism'

Lite Beer

It seems that Khun Thepchai is trying to avoid attitude adjustment!

In this article, he is suggesting that (Thai) media professionals should come up with clear and concrete ethical guidelines.

In what seems an about face, he argues that Thai newspapers or TV stations could achieve more credibility by announcing “ethics mechanisms” and allow outsiders to have a role in scrutinising these.

Yet, just two weeks ago, he was calling on the NCPO to release one of The Nation's senior reporters (Pravit Rojanaphruk) who, for the second time, was "invited" and then detained by the military.

On that occasion, Thepchai advised that The Nation would submit a letter to the little general asking him to release Pravit immediately, saying "We see this as a direct threat to press freedom".

While few (TV contributors) would argue that the quality of the local reporting in Thailand is less than ideal, one can only imagine what could happen if these inferred ‘outsiders’ are able to set it's ethics standards.

Despite Thepchai’s call for media professionals to come up with clear and concrete ethical guidelines, I believe that these already exist! One has only to look at the Code of Conduct for Members of the Thai Journalists Association (see below).

These seem to me to be adequate as they stand. But only if the junta allows the media to do their job without interference and invitations.

Any reform should focus on how local reporters are trained. As noted in this article, “… there was a shortage of qualified professionals, leading to substandard reporting and the stress for speed over credibility”.

Code of Conduct for Members of the Thai Journalists Association

1. Promote and maintain freedom of expression and news reporting.
  2. Provide only accurate news information and arrange to correct those found to be inaccurate.
  3. Be polite and honest in discharging function, especially in obtaining documents, photographs and other informative materials useful for news reports.
  4. Respect the confidentiality of news sources.
  5. Perform duties for the greatest benefit of the public and restrain from seeking self-gain and from being an instrument of any group of people.
  6. Refrain from any act that may be damaging to the profession's integrity and image.

All media has an owner, and the owner has an agenda. The bottom line is the more important, than the truth, if the media has high ratings then it has a higher profit. Many will tell the audience " We give you the information you need to know", weather it is true or not has no meaning.

Well, whether man, the fact is that traditional media is dying and social media requires no bureaucracy. Anybody can launch a blog and with something significant and interesting to say reach the masses. But you are correct about the agenda because there is no news any more.

Some real investigative journalists would be welcome,

there would be a lot of work for them,but I suspect it

would be a very dangerous job.

regards Worgeordie

If you cannot air or print restaurant critics due to defamation hostilities what chance is there for investigative reporting?

Be a Thai journalist, tell the truth, question the status quo, query the "established truth", follow up on stories that discredit someone, live a short life.

It's been that way for 50 years and the powers that be approve and want it to remain this way.

:"If Thai newspapers or television [stations] announce ethics mechanisms and accept complaints lodge by the public today and allow outsiders to have a role in scrutinizing it, this would lead to credibility," he said."

This is thr biggest turd I ever had some one try to serve me as a sandwich. I am NOT buying it.