Retirement Visa by any other name

I never insisted on being correct PAL....I just voiced my opinion.....but if you think a non immigrant O-A is the same as a non immigrant O visa then you obviously don't know what you are talking about as indicated by your post...

You did insist you were correct PAL, and made it clear you don't understand the purpose of the discussion.

For gods sake extension of stay based on or marriage/retirement visa. At the end of the day does it really matter in the great scheme of things well think about it does it really make a two peneth worth of difference. Whatever its referred to the fact of the matter is in you passport it basically says you can stay for another year enjoy and stop bloody whining over a insignificant name and get a life farang

• Like 1

For gods sake extension of stay based on or marriage/retirement visa. At the end of the day does it really matter in the great scheme of things well think about it does it really make a two peneth worth of difference. Whatever its referred to the fact of the matter is in you passport it basically says you can stay for another year enjoy and stop bloody whining over a insignificant name and get a life farang

Did you read the thread? The terminology matters here because it helps us provide clear advice on this forum.

• Like 2

What does "NON -RE" mean ?

Thats the stamp on a re-entry permit

It is not. It is the handwritten note on the entry stamp written just after the printed "visa class". If you have a "retirement visa", you'll have that on your entry stamp too.

I don't have aritirement visa.

post-74714-0-69345500-1443656565_thumb.j

Edited by mxyzptlk

Even the O-A no longer states anything about retirement. In the past it used to have hand written above the word CATEGORY Long Stay but the last time that was written on my O-A Multiple, was in 2009 and 2011. Ever since it just shows O-A

Another reason that I suggest just calling an O-A visa an O-A visa.

As being retired isn't one of the qualifications for getting an extension of stay based on retirement, it's crazy that they link it to retirement at all! blink.png

Yes, but for both the O-A and for retirement extensions you are not allowed to legally work IN Thailand. So in that sense you are committing to being "retired" while living in Thailand.

Most countries that offer some kind of "retirement visa" scheme require some kind of pension to get legal retirement status. Thailand doesn't. Good for me or I wouldn't be here.

Looking at this more internationally, "retirement visas" might be seen as the generic term for the actual name(s) of immigration things that any country might use to allow retired foreigners to legally live there. But on this forum we need to break it down to the actual terms for THAILAND's system.

Actually, some Labour offices will issue a work permit for those on an extension of stay based on being over 50. Bangkok is not one of those offices.

What does "NON -RE" mean ?

It is not. It is the handwritten note on the entry stamp written just after the printed "visa class". If you have a "retirement visa", you'll have that on your entry stamp too.

attachicon.gifRe-Entry.jpg

My re-entry permits have "Non Imm" stamped in the area where you see "NON-RE", hence the confusion. That's obviously due to using a different Immigration office.

Ironically, by showing this stamp, you are showing you DO have a retirement visa. "NON-RE" is short for "non-immigrant - retirement".

attachicon.gifRe-Entry.jpg

My re-entry permits have "Non Imm" stamped in the area where you see "NON-RE", hence the confusion. That's obviously due to using a different Immigration office.

Ironically, by showing this stamp, you are showing you DO have a retirement visa. "NON-RE" is short for "non-immigrant - retirement".

No.

Non-RE stands for Re-Entry.

And he confirms that he does not have a retirement visa.

• Like 2