Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

Hey... anybody change the nmax stocked shock to yss?.... any big difference? Thinking about changing it to either to yss or racing boy. I ride 50% 2 up... appreciate any tips.. thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, Trikyle said:

Hey... anybody change the nmax stocked shock to yss?.... any big difference? Thinking about changing it to either to yss or racing boy. I ride 50% 2 up... appreciate any tips.. thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

^ ^ ^ ..... and, what is the quality of the ride - the passengers comfort level - when riding 2 up for > 30 km at a time? What are the largest size F/R tires that can be fitted on the N-Max?
Can anyone compare the quality of 2 up riding on the N-Max with 2 up riding on the PCX 150?

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ ..... and, what is the quality of the ride - the passengers comfort level - when riding 2 up for > 30 km at a time? What are the largest size F/R tires that can be fitted on the N-Max?
Can anyone compare the quality of 2 up riding on the N-Max with 2 up riding on the PCX 150?

My ride 2 up on the average for half an hour (I’m 85 kg she’s 45kg) and we have a givi top box (unloaded) not bad.. but when it’s loaded.... gotta be careful.. she sluggish... still the handling of my 2016 nmax over my IMG_1118.JPG2014 Pcx (sold) is excellent... she’s really steady.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

I have asked this in a separate thread but got just a few replies:

Having visited honda a year ago was offered PCX for 68k, walked in yesterday thinking of one its 91k.  (extra 15cc? ) I know it has alarm and electronic key, but hardly enough to justify such an extreme price hike. This is starting to get into territory of bigger bikes. What are your thoughts?

I am looking for a scooter, comfy, practical, good mileage. 

My PCX has been ok. It definitely fishtails around for sure and all but one dash light is out. 5000THB for the dealer to fix it. 

They have been changing the entire board in the dash 

Edited by GaryB1263

On 7/13/2017 at 1:16 AM, Trikyle said:

My ride 2 up on the average for half an hour (I’m 85 kg she’s 45kg) and we have a givi top box (unloaded) not bad.. but when it’s loaded.... gotta be careful.. she sluggish... still the handling of my 2016 nmax over my IMG_1118.JPG2014 Pcx (sold) is excellent... she’s really steady.

Your N Max is a nice looking scooter - it's exactly how I want my scooter to look!
Thanks a million for the 2 up comparison!

... BTW, have you found anything about adding after market shocks? While you're at it, what about  adding larger size Michelin City Grips or Pirrellis?

Edited by Ahnsahn
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 8:50 AM, sup3r1or said:

I have asked this in a separate thread but got just a few replies:

Having visited honda a year ago was offered PCX for 68k, walked in yesterday thinking of one its 91k.  (extra 15cc? ) I know it has alarm and electronic key, but hardly enough to justify such an extreme price hike. This is starting to get into territory of bigger bikes. What are your thoughts?

I am looking for a scooter, comfy, practical, good mileage. 

My 2 baht opinion:

The price increase seems to be market strategy politics that is often played in this LOS market. 
-  TIT  -
The next sized Honda is the Forza 300 cc (279 cc/25.4hp) which is approx Thb 169k. With the PCX being challenged by Yamaha's sporty-looking Aerox and the NMax with its dual discs and ABS and the Forza 300 being challenged by the soon-to-be-released Yamaha X Max 300 with its 292 cc/27.6hp,15"- F and 14" - R wheels, Traction Control and adj windshield and brake levers(?), coupled with the fact that Honda stopped selling the Forza 300 in USA after the 2016 models, I wouldn't be surprised to see soon-to-be-released updated / new generation versions of the PCX and the Forza 300.

• Like 1

Your N Max is a nice looking scooter - it's exactly how I want my scooter to look!

Thanks a million for the 2 up comparison!

... BTW, have you found anything about adding after market shocks? While you're at it, what about  adding larger size Michelin City Grips or Pirrellis?

Welcome bro, I tried to do the same research 6 months ago and found little to go on. In my past experience.. the nmax is the sports tourer of scooters. I’m glad I had the pcx to compare it to because the pcx pales in comparison to the nmax. I absolutely enjoy riding my nmax. I also upgrade the windshield with both Tom Tom gps ram mounts and iphone quad lock mounts. I also added a voltimeter and usb charging port. Also added new controllers with hazards and passing lights... definitely saves me 1000 times in Bangkok traffic. I have not found a comparison to upgraded yss or rcb shocks but I think I’ll stick with my stock. Its quite good overall.

In regards to the Michelin city grips. I think I’ll stick with the stock tires. It has enough grip for me. The abs brakes are awesome in city traffic. I haven’t even looked at the pirellis. I agree the New nmax 300 (when it comes out) is definitely gonna be a winner. I love Honda but I think they are behind yamaha.

Hope this helps.

IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.bbca0ef010fc06dcbb8b275a6ad31f4c.JPGIMG_1123.JPG.f68491d5e79e3d35d69567b9db4d4733.JPG

• Like 1

Ithem wheels look too small - out of proportion with the bike- but each to their own- as long as you as the purchaser are happy- thats all that counts- i will stick with my pcx- after my previous Nuevo !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC 71 said:

Ithem wheels look too small - out of proportion with the bike- but each to their own- as long as you as the purchaser are happy- thats all that counts- i will stick with my pcx- after my previous Nuevo !

They do look small.  But the proof of the pudding is to actually get on and drive.  I've had mine up to 120 kph (75 miles an hour) and I felt it was more stable than my girlfriend's Honda 150 PCX at 115 (which is all it will do).  My girlfriend's PCX 150 is in my favorite color (PCX red).  I can drive it anytime I want, but I haven't in over three weeks.  I feel sorry for it.  It's an excellent bike, but I view it as the ugly sister no one wants to ride.  The Nmax is simply that good.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trikyle said:

Welcome bro, I tried to do the same research 6 months ago and found little to go on. In my past experience.. the nmax is the sports tourer of scooters. I’m glad I had the pcx to compare it to because the pcx pales in comparison to the nmax. I absolutely enjoy riding my nmax. I also upgrade the windshield with both Tom Tom gps ram mounts and iphone quad lock mounts. I also added a voltimeter and usb charging port. Also added new controllers with hazards and passing lights... definitely saves me 1000 times in Bangkok traffic. I have not found a comparison to upgraded yss or rcb shocks but I think I’ll stick with my stock. Its quite good overall.

In regards to the Michelin city grips. I think I’ll stick with the stock tires. It has enough grip for me. The abs brakes are awesome in city traffic. I haven’t even looked at the pirellis. I agree the New nmax 300 (when it comes out) is definitely gonna be a winner. I love Honda but I think they are behind yamaha.

Hope this helps.

IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.bbca0ef010fc06dcbb8b275a6ad31f4c.JPGIMG_1123.JPG.f68491d5e79e3d35d69567b9db4d4733.JPG

Your scooter is nice! :clap2:

1 hour ago, KC 71 said:

I will primarily be riding 2 up on 30 km of road/highway into town and yours was my initial reaction, too, but I am going to follow my reasoning in post #312 and 'hope' that Honda comes out, later this year, with updated or new generation of the PCX/Forza 300 for the next model year. The PCX 150 is basically 2013 with slight 'refinement' in 2015. If no new models,  I will look at the S/H market, probably Thb 130k Forza 300 or new Yamaha X Max 300.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jackcorbett said:

They do look small.  But the proof of the pudding is to actually get on and drive.  I've had mine up to 120 kph (75 miles an hour) and I felt it was more stable than my girlfriend's Honda 150 PCX at 115 (which is all it will do).  My girlfriend's PCX 150 is in my favorite color (PCX red).  I can drive it anytime I want, but I haven't in over three weeks.  I feel sorry for it.  It's an excellent bike, but I view it as the ugly sister no one wants to ride.  The Nmax is simply that good.  

You are absolutely right! Every N Max owner raves about how good their scooter is .... it's killing us PCX wannabes! ... but the proof of the pudding is to actually get on and drive for one's self.

What's your opinion about primarily riding 2 up for 30km into town and back everyday on these (2) 150s?

14 hours ago, jackcorbett said:

I believe either one will do quite well.  I weigh about 75 kilos and my gf weighs around 45.  I hardly know she's on it. I have a good friend who weighs around 275 or so, and he feels it's got plenty of power, even after I mentioned to him that the Yamaha XMax 300 is likely to soon come out.    In fact, I've had him on mine with me and it was much better than one would think for short hauls.  

The Nmax has roughly 1.5 more horsepower than the PCX 150 at approximately the same engine displacement.  So it's going to have the advantage, especially for 2 up riding.  And its brakes are simply phenomenal and this will translate out to a decisive edge while riding two up.  At 80,000 baht, nothing else comes close to the Nmax 155.  

^ ^  agree.

If Honda doesn't release updated models in the face of Yamaha's challenge, their rep will suffer. 

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

HI jack corbett. Do you mean the Yamaha has 1.5 BHP more than the Honda , or 1.5 "times" ( 50 % ) more power ? . Thanks.

About 1.5 more horsepower which amounts to roughly a 10 % increase in power.  The displacement of these two engines is about equal.  But I do believe the PCX has just two valves whereas the Nmax has four.  The Nmax also has variable valve timing.  This amounts to the engine not working very hard at low revs to maximize fuel economy.  But when you really jump on the throttle of the Nmax the valves stay open longer allowing more efficient combustion of the fuel.  So with the Nmax you get a lot of the same kind of high performance benefits of a racing cam.   The process is explained here.

The result is the Yamaha Nmax engine has a lot of high tech performance built into it that lesser motorbikes do not have.   You will especially notice the difference when you take the two bikes on the highway.  Get an Nmax up to say 110 kph and hold the throttle open.  The engine keeps giving and giving whereas the PCX is just about done.  

And by the way, those 13 inch wheels offer much more stability than one would expect.  I had my Nmax up to 90 kph on Sukamvit today and it felt just about as stable as it felt when I was doing 40.  Factor in the very superior brakes and you end up with an incredibly capable machine that does just about everything very well.  

• Like 1

Thanks jack. The VVT system is very advanced , and seems it could be the way forward for better fuel consumption / lower emissions.  With the bigger tires on those 13 " Yamaha rims , i believe the overall rolling radius of the wheels is equal to the narrow tired 14 " wheels of say a Honda. As you say , the Yamaha is both fast , smooth and very stable.  It seems it has better susspension components and design than the Honda. Priced a fair bit cheaper too .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was about to buy N Max but my only issues is Exciter. Why conpared to that N Max feel like 2013 bike? Apart from 2 abs discs, dash is ugly, no electronic key, no 12V charging, not to mention those better wheels and tyres. Why strip all that from the most expensive model? All those features apart from ABS are on PCX 

1 hour ago, sup3r1or said:

I was about to buy N Max but my only issues is Exciter. Why conpared to that N Max feel like 2013 bike? Apart from 2 abs discs, dash is ugly, no electronic key, no 12V charging, not to mention those better wheels and tyres. Why strip all that from the most expensive model? All those features apart from ABS are on PCX 

electronic key is rubbish.

charging is good but can be added for a 300b price.

better wheels and tyers. haha i dont think so. tyres on both are shit. change whenever possible.

the PCX right now is 20K dearer

it's a joke.

nobody in their right mind would buy a PCX over an AeroX or an Nmax.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2017 at 2:49 AM, macknife said:

electronic key is rubbish.

charging is good but can be added for a 300b price.

better wheels and tyers. haha i dont think so. tyres on both are shit. change whenever possible.

the PCX right now is 20K dearer

it's a joke.

nobody in their right mind would buy a PCX over an AeroX or an Nmax.

Okay, skip the key. For 300 bht charger, will it be as nicely tucked in a compartment so I can throw in a phone to charge or camera battery when I am on the go?  Both Aerox and PCX have special compartment with 12V jack (which is what I need as I use fast charger)  rather than usb. And it is closed it so your phone wont get wet in rain. 

The tires need to change, but since when bigger/higher wheels are not a good thing? Also with wider tires. Should that provide better stability and traction?

What does get me with exciter is super high seating position. 

Sorry I got the name wrong I was talking about AEROX 155

Edited by sup3r1or

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2015 at 4:03 PM, Just1Voice said:

Love the PCX, but hate the seat. lol

I agree, I've had two PCXs and I hate the premolded part of the seat where you sit. I'm thinking of going to the seat guy who made the seat for my Ducati and having him make the seat one straight level seat, still angled up in the back but this way I can choose where I sit on the seat instead of being forced to sit closer to the front in the little pocket they molded for your butt.

NMax is amazing scooter, very comfortable riding position. I can seat on  it like a cruiser. It handles road perfectly fine even at 70-90 kmph. ABS on both front and rear,  excellent braking, very easy to ride. Very good wind protection, when running on my sport bike i get sand in my eyes and incoming bugs heat my neck, this never happens on Nmax.

I have only one small complain  - mirrors vibrates at slow speed, but i do not mind.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 11:18 AM, jackcorbett said:

A good friend of mine bought an Nmax right after I bought mine.  He loves it so much that he sent his PCX150 upcountry to be used by the family of his GF.  But--last week he told me he felt his bike had a little vibration problem so we swapped bikes to see if there was a difference. He felt my bike was much smoother.  Still, he does not find the vibration to be all that annoying--it's just something he's noticed.  

I feel my Nmax is a bit rough at extremely low parking lot speeds, especially when I compare it to my gf's PcX 150.  But it's no big deal.  Overall my Nmax 155 is simply out of this world.  In my opinion it is far in front of everything else as the absolute finest all around bike one can have for the Pattaya area AT ANY PRICE.  My gf's PCX 150 is a nice machine, but my Yamaha Nmax is a Porsche sports car in comparison.  

In my opinion it's been totally engineered from the ground up to take advantage of its 13 inch wheels.  As everyone knows here I am not a fan of smaller wheels.  I love those 18 inch wheels on my Yamaha SR400.  But the Nmax is a different breed of cat.  I believe Yamaha paid extremely close attention to detail and balanced this machine just right for the smaller wheels.  The struts are just right that strengthen the chassis.  Then there's the superlative brakes.  Disks on both front and rear with anti lock.  (which is unprecedented for an 80,000 baht "scooter type machine"  (it's an underbone , not a scooter per se)  So the smaller diameter wheels are able to initiate a turn very quickly.  And the driver knows he's got fabulous brakes so he tends to be braver going through turns.   The bike is extremely responsive and agile with loads of usable power on tap.  So the driver simply tends to go faster in all conditions.

I drove my friend's Aerox which he loves (of course).  It's got massive (for a 150 c.c. underbone bike) front and rear 14 inch tires that make the Nmax's tires look rather small by comparison. Compared to my Nmax the bike seems more planted.  You can feel those heavier wheels at work, which is the way things should be.  But the Nmax really wants to dart from side to side and turn turn turn while still being very stable.  And, unlike the Honda Click I test drove a couple of years ago and put my results on You Tube, the Nmax with its 13 inch wheels is MUCH MUCH more stable at 100 kph and above.  The (Click has 14 inch wheels but its tires are narrower).  

I am on my 5th PCX new each year as I do a lot of travelling. The NMAX is a reasonable bike I hired one for a comparison. The build quality is of no comparison that is why the PCX holds it's value so well. Example I sold my last pcx for 75,000 with 9,000 km on the clock  after purchasing 12months  new for 79,000 baht

Edited by Winkburn