AXA or BUPA ?

freedomnow

• 2 weeks later...

The Thai based or International cover - they are very different?

The cover i found called RUBY has this listed on the Thai BUPA website.

Worldwide Cover (Except in USA)

But I could not find Thaiand-only tab.

Bit wary of BUPA now after reading they UP the premium after a no-claim in year 1 (?)

That is incorrect. They up the premiums substantially whenever you cross from one 5 year age bracket to another. If you joined when you were in the last year of an age bracket, then it will hit you the very next year. Nothing to do with having made a claim or not. There is also often a small across the board yearly inflationary increase.

All insurance policies increase rates as you age. Some do it annually and others do it in 5 year increments, when the latter the increase is much more noticeable.

Would advise against the Ruby plan however as the level of cover is insufficient. Only the Platinum plans make sense IMO.

To answer an earlier question: BUPA excludes treatment of renal failure, which would include dialysis and kidney transplant. They will cover cancer treatment but not in the initial period after a policy is newly taken out.

The Thai based or International cover - they are very different?

The cover i found called RUBY has this listed on the Thai BUPA website.

Worldwide Cover (Except in USA)

But I could not find Thaiand-only tab.

Bit wary of BUPA now after reading they UP the premium after a no-claim in year 1 (?)

Bupa gives a 5% discount every year you have no claim! :) But like any other insurance, as you age, your premium becomes higher. In Thailand, the age range is every 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally, which one is better for price/coverage and actually paying out AXA or BUPA ?

I'm looking for a policy also. I can't figure out if bupa platinum 2 mil covers chemotherapy, radiation, dialysis. I don't need them but if I ever did and didn't have cover I'd probably have to move home especially for dialysis permanently. Anyone know which policy or company has that as inpatient or paid for on an inpatient only policy even on outpatient basis?

Be careful of assuming that you can return to the UK and get free NHS treatment, you can't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/expat-health/11571256/British-expats-from-outside-Europe-must-pay-for-NHS-hospital-care.html

Actually that may have an effect on some but in this case does not seem to apply as poster stated intent to return to UK which should allow full NHS coverage per:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healthcare/help-with-health-costs/nhs-charges-for-people-from-abroad/

• in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse