AXA or BUPA ?

freedomnow

I have BUPA high-end, and have never had any problems with a claim. All of the large hospitals deal directly with them, and I have never seen a single baht. AXA is also very big, but I have no idea about them. Years ago, I was with THI (Thai Health) which doesn't seem to have the same clout as an international.

Ideally, you should always go for the maximum. My BUPA is up to 2 million baht per illness, but some folk say it's not enough. A major stroke with aftercare, or a big car accident, can easily eat that away if you are in Bum or BNH.

Check the fine print with all policies, especially "emerald" or "silver" which will only part-pay some operations.

Out-Patient Visits are a swizz. Some people reduce their premium a lot by refusing OPD cover (like seeing a doctor in a clinic). My OPD cover of 35,000 has already blown in four months because of some special tests and scans. Some people prefer to pay to see a routine doctor as-and-when, because a quick trip for headache pills can cost less than 1,000b. However, I like the OPD part, so I keep it.

Eddy

I have BUPA high-end, and have never had any problems with a claim. All of the large hospitals deal directly with them, and I have never seen a single baht. AXA is also very big, but I have no idea about them. Years ago, I was with THI (Thai Health) which doesn't seem to have the same clout as an international.

Ideally, you should always go for the maximum. My BUPA is up to 2 million baht per illness, but some folk say it's not enough. A major stroke with aftercare, or a big car accident, can easily eat that away if you are in Bum or BNH.

Check the fine print with all policies, especially "emerald" or "silver" which will only part-pay some operations.

Out-Patient Visits are a swizz. Some people reduce their premium a lot by refusing OPD cover (like seeing a doctor in a clinic). My OPD cover of 35,000 has already blown in four months because of some special tests and scans. Some people prefer to pay to see a routine doctor as-and-when, because a quick trip for headache pills can cost less than 1,000b. However, I like the OPD part, so I keep it.

Eddy

I do the same for my wife and daughter. I still keep my overseas cover, which originally was effected with BUPA in the UK by my employers and I now keep it privately. I can really recommend BUPA both locally in Thailand and internationally in the UK, and this wholeheartedly!

Generally, which one is better for price/coverage and actually paying out AXA or BUPA ?

I'm looking for a policy also. I can't figure out if bupa platinum 2 mil covers chemotherapy, radiation, dialysis. I don't need them but if I ever did and didn't have cover I'd probably have to move home especially for dialysis permanently. Anyone know which policy or company has that as inpatient or paid for on an inpatient only policy even on outpatient basis?

You might want to look at Cigna.

Cigna Silver policy covers up to $1m/£650k overall annual benefit and all cancer charges. However it is not cheap - at 56 it is over £2k per year. Gold and Platinum even more so.

Easy to get a quote online.

Generally, which one is better for price/coverage and actually paying out AXA or BUPA ?

I'm looking for a policy also. I can't figure out if bupa platinum 2 mil covers chemotherapy, radiation, dialysis. I don't need them but if I ever did and didn't have cover I'd probably have to move home especially for dialysis permanently. Anyone know which policy or company has that as inpatient or paid for on an inpatient only policy even on outpatient basis?

On their web site it mentions exclusions including -

The following diseases or conditions are not covered during the first 6 months of cover in the first policy year: tumors or cancers, polyps, cysts or benign tumors.......................................................

That suggest cancer is covered but kidney dialysis is definitely not - http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/compare-insurance-plan.aspx?cgid=6

Tokyo Marine is also worth checking for health cover. (Also car and house & contents insurance, pension plans, childrens' savings (endowment) plans and they also have a product to get little kids into a long term pension plan).

They have lots of health options, examples:

- Can cover or not cover lots of additional tests

- Can totally cover / not cover terminal illnesses discovered after joining.

- Can include / not include outpatients care.

- Personal accident cover can be added to health at small cost.

Not the cheapest but not the most expensive, very strongly focused on customer service. Customer is king and they ensure customers are always very well informed, questions are answered politely and very clearly. Many staff speak excellent English.

Major office in Bangkok, big office in Chiang Mai and maybe other Thai locations.

I have used Bupa for 2 years without any problems around 4 years ago, after a motorcycle accident, ICU, 1 month in hospital and a series of Surgeries, they paid for everything in full, I'm with AXA now and they have not had any problem with paying for follow up tests Physical therapy, and another surgery in 2 months time has been approved, and that's for a pre-existing condition. My insurance is company provided through a broker, and the broker has done really well to set our new policy with AXA, so you might be better off going through a broker as they can lay out your coverage specific to your needs after a sit down with them.

Long story short, both are good providers, but as far as the premium goes I have no idea? As I said company provided. Hope this helps mate.

I have used Bupa for 2 years without any problems around 4 years ago, after a motorcycle accident, ICU, 1 month in hospital and a series of Surgeries, they paid for everything in full, I'm with AXA now and they have not had any problem with paying for follow up tests Physical therapy, and another surgery in 2 months time has been approved, and that's for a pre-existing condition. My insurance is company provided through a broker, and the broker has done really well to set our new policy with AXA, so you might be better off going through a broker as they can lay out your coverage specific to your needs after a sit down with them.

Long story short, both are good providers, but as far as the premium goes I have no idea? As I said company provided. Hope this helps mate.

Josh

Is yours a Bupa or AXA Thailand plan or international? Who is the broker?

A few questions, if i may,

Has anyone here used their private health insurance to cover treatment at a Thai government hospital? And if so, how easy was the process of getting the bills paid, and which insurance company? (I currently have insurance through a large US-based international company. I had to have a minor operation last month due to a severe infection. Had the procedure done at King Chulalongkorn Memorial University Hospital in Bangkok. Total bill for 5 days in a private room, the operation and medications was just over Baht 20,000. But, the insurance company refused to pay out in the end. I had a letter for the doctor, but that was not good enough, they needed more details; such as why I needed to be in the hospital for 5 days, and why the procedure was needed. I told the company that as I am not a medical doctor, I could not answer their questions, and told them to contact the doctor. As the doctor never replied to their communications, they denied payment.)

Josh

Is yours a Bupa or AXA Thailand plan or international? Who is the broker?

I send you a message mate, everything you need to know..

Has anyone here used their private health insurance to cover treatment at a Thai government hospital? And if so, how easy was the process of getting the bills paid, and which insurance company? (I currently have insurance through a large US-based international company. I had to have a minor operation last month due to a severe infection. Had the procedure done at King Chulalongkorn Memorial University Hospital in Bangkok. Total bill for 5 days in a private room, the operation and medications was just over Baht 20,000. But, the insurance company refused to pay out in the end. I had a letter for the doctor, but that was not good enough, they needed more details; such as why I needed to be in the hospital for 5 days, and why the procedure was needed. I told the company that as I am not a medical doctor, I could not answer their questions, and told them to contact the doctor. As the doctor never replied to their communications, they denied payment.)

If you're working over here generally your Social security card should cover you for Public hospitals, if not? You would have been better off just using a private hospital mate.

If you're working over here generally your Social security card should cover you for Public hospitals, if not? You would have been better off just using a private hospital mate.

Sorry ... my apologies ... I should have noted that I am retired, and almost 60 years young.

As far as private hospitals are concerned - have heard too many horror stories from Thai and farang friends here. Although I also note that many of the private hospital doctors also work in public hospitals. For surgical issues, it is not only the quality of the surgeon but also the surgical team that is important, thus why I went to King Chulalongkorn University Hospital.

I hate to say it but this outcome doesn't really surprise me. My medical insurance in the USA makes you jump through hoops and they have a very specific way of doing business and they expect everyone else to do it there way. Thailand doesn't fit their mold.

They probably thought the bill was for twenty thousand dollars. If I were you I would convert the currency for them, get all your test results (objective evidence), and let them look at it again. When evaluating a foreign claim they are supposed to be more understanding and they do have the capability of translating all languages. So if you get to the right people it will probably be approved.

Sorry ... my apologies ... I should have noted that I am retired, and almost 60 years young.

As far as private hospitals are concerned - have heard too many horror stories from Thai and farang friends here. Although I also note that many of the private hospital doctors also work in public hospitals. For surgical issues, it is not only the quality of the surgeon but also the surgical team that is important, thus why I went to King Chulalongkorn University Hospital.

I know what you mean, the trick is though, to find the Dr. In the public hospital and then get him to do the Surgery at one of the private hospitals he works for.

I did that for a nerve transplant surgery (Brachial Plexus injury). Found the Dr at Siriraj Public hospital, then got the surgery performed by him at Thonburi as advised by him as they also had the better facilities for the OP. So maybe try that next time.. (better yet I hope there is no next time)

Take good care mate..

Nearly all insurance companies require that you contact them before admission so they can approve the treatment. This is hardly ever an issue, since the hospital takes care of that.

You would want BUPA UK over any other if you can afford it. AXA has a reputation for not paying as long as they can. From personal experience and from a friend that has almost 2 years of claims they refuse to pay on from AXA.

NZI is also not too bad, at least if you have a corporate policy. Not sure about personal insurance with them.

I hate to say it but this outcome doesn't really surprise me. My medical insurance in the USA makes you jump through hoops and they have a very specific way of doing business and they expect everyone else to do it there way. Thailand doesn't fit their mold.

They probably thought the bill was for twenty thousand dollars. If I were you I would convert the currency for them, get all your test results (objective evidence), and let them look at it again. When evaluating a foreign claim they are supposed to be more understanding and they do have the capability of translating all languages. So if you get to the right people it will probably be approved.

Did all of that ... got the 'pre-approval', supplied them with all the pre-op test results - blood tests and cat scan - did not ask for payment of these, just for the time in hospital and the op (I was originally quoted about Baht 30,000). And yes, I did mention that the cost was about US$600.

I know what you mean, the trick is though, to find the Dr. In the public hospital and then get him to do the Surgery at one of the private hospitals he works for.

I did that for a nerve transplant surgery (Brachial Plexus injury). Found the Dr at Siriraj Public hospital, then got the surgery performed by him at Thonburi as advised by him as they also had the better facilities for the OP. So maybe try that next time.. (better yet I hope there is no next time)

Take good care mate..

Thank for the advice.

I suppose that I was trying to the right thing by the insurance company ... silly me ... save them some money. Did not ask for payment of the tests I had done before the operation. A Thai friend at a private hospital in Bangkok told me the procedure plus all costs would be about Baht 150,000. Baht 30,000 sounded better in the public hospital system. Seems trying to save the insurance company Baht 120,000 cost me Baht 20,000!!!!

The Thai based or International cover - they are very different?

The cover i found called RUBY has this listed on the Thai BUPA website.

Worldwide Cover (Except in USA)

But I could not find Thaiand-only tab.

Bit wary of BUPA now after reading they UP the premium after a no-claim in year 1 (?)

Edited by freedomnow

The Thai based or International cover - they are very different?

The cover i found called RUBY has this listed on the Thai BUPA website.

Worldwide Cover (Except in USA)

But I could not find Thaiand-only tab.

Bit wary of BUPA now after reading they UP the premium after a no-claim in year 1 (?)

I've had health insurance my entire life. My experience shows me that you can expect the premium to rise every year. As much as I hate it it makes sense. For a policy that covers you 100% as costs rise so does there exposure to a bigger claim. But these policies that have a maximum payout should have smaller increases.

Yes but was many years ago - as recall had to have Chula do translations at extra cost of there bills. You should be able to request a medical certificate that doctors are used to providing (company requirement for most people) and that should justify the procedures when translated.

Actually pre-approval is not a requirement of insurance I have used from US if procedure is done outside the USA and perhaps territories.