How to take your money out of Thailand

You can legally take up to 20,000 USD cash when you fly out.

Which is a stupid idea. don't you think barry?

Why is it stupid...pray tell ?

Because you can only legally take A$10,000 into Australia (without declaring it)?

Edited by Chicog

The op is maybe moving to Aus or Hong Kong and needs medical expenses and you say 20,000.come on.This guy is obviously going through a bad time health wise and you come up with a solution for a couple of days holiday in Hong Kong---------- think before you post bah.gifbah.gif Dougal

Because you can only legally take A$10,000 into Australia (without declaring it)?

But what about HK then and besides the OP never mentioned he wanted to smuggle it into Aussie, if you are prepared to declare the cash you can take on more than 10k

The op is maybe moving to Aus or Hong Kong and needs medical expenses and you say 20,000.come on.This guy is obviously going through a bad time health wise and you come up with a solution for a couple of days holiday in Hong Kong---------- think before you post bah.gifbah.gif Dougal

What are you bleating on about, i asked why was carrying 20k cash stupid

I get my remaining assets ( coins) and put them in plastic bags of 100 baht each. Then I take that to a money changer who offers to exchange for some very low rate. I decline and take the coins to the local pub and buy Leo beer. Can't afford to stay - can't afford to leave.

The solution is not to take cash obviously but get travelers cheques or something.

As to the 10,000 Aus there is a simple solution. Go to the embassy and talk to them. Have a copy of the schedule for surgery, the doctor, hospital and costs. If they get in touch and find that there is a need for 20k that is legitimate I am sure that something can be done to solve the issue.

It is called compassionate grounds and done a lot at most embassies. Heck they may even be able to help transfer the money.

I thought you had to declare more than $A 10,000 when you take money OUT of Australia, not in.

In any case, if you have supporting documentation such as bank records, it should not be a problem. The regulation is intended for money laundering, not genuine travellers.

If you are going to Australia then the questions you need to answer will be different depending on your Nationality and the source of the funds. If your not Australian or an Australian taxpayer then you can legally move all sorts of amounts without too many questions as long as you can show a legal source. And even if you transfer it via a bank you can face the same scrutiny as if you carried it. ALL international transfers through legal means are recorded in and out of Australia (and HK for that matter)

Isn't it crazy that in this day and age that you need compassionate grounds to move around your own money for medical expenses? I've done something similar before at banks and it's such a pain in the ass.

The fact that you need to prove that your money is your own money? Rediculous! The fact that banks complain if you try to take your money out of their bank, and limit, and restrict you, in how you can use it, even though you can prove your identity. Also rediculous! Who really owns your money?! Something to think about...

For further reading you may want to look at Cyprus.

Isn't it crazy that in this day and age that you need compassionate grounds to move around your own money for medical expenses? I've done something similar before at banks and it's such a pain in the ass.

The fact that you need to prove that your money is your own money? Rediculous! The fact that banks complain if you try to take your money out of their bank, and limit, and restrict you, in how you can use it, even though you can prove your identity. Also rediculous! Who really owns your money?! Something to think about...

Its not rediculous if you consider the billions of dollars in criminal proceeds and terrorism financing that is shifted around the world in plain sight

I'll speak for myself. If it was me I would take the cash and declare it at the airport in Australia. No big deal.

For me, going to embassies, buying gold bars or traveller's cheques, pre paid cards, etc is more effort than it's worth.

I'm used to carrying quantities of cash and it doesn't bother me at all, however I understand it is a bit much for some people.

Edited by blackcab

Its not rediculous if you consider the billions of dollars in criminal proceeds and terrorism financing that is shifted around the world in plain sight

I completely agree that terrorism financing is a problem. Can I ask you though, to examine whether these schemes have had significant impact to the target, rather than false positives?

I feel like it's always catching the wrong people.

So what is wrong with declaring it? I personally would try to avoid such reporting since in the USA the TSA and treasury goons are idiots

Money transfers are probably the easiest, but again, I assume Oz has finance dollar amount transaction reporting requirements. Those may be just and inconvenience and not a show stopper for you. If the amounts you are interested in are below all those automatic reporting thresholds, then using your ATM every day over in Oz ( 1000 Aussie bucks a day?), Maybe even write a check and deposit it in your OZ bank. I am sure it will clear there faster than a similar check would clear in Thailand.