Im Curious whats happens when

The Big Mango

All the expats we see in the news ( again today ) pass away under whatever circumstance it may be.

What the heck happens to their cars , motorbikes , houses , bank accounts etc.. etc...

Of course some are married , long term relationships and so on , but what about the miriad of single guys.

Speculation welcomed :-)

^^ but if the asset lets say is a house that he owned through circumventing the law and utilised thai nominees in his "company" I guess they suddenly own what might be a very nice chunk of real estate ?

Or more likely the accountant / law firm he used to set it ull up.

! Ah a lightbulb moment !

Everyone be carefull of your accountants / law firms , :-)

Edited by The Big Mango

I am sure if they had Phuket lawyers writing their wills for them, the lawyers were the only one's who benefitted

There was a post here a few months ago where an Englishman told all his friends that he was leaving his estate to the local school but after he died his lawyer stated that he died intestate (without a will) so the lawyer sucked up the estate in legal fees, the kids got nothing

Begs the question of why would you have a lawyer but still die without a will ?

NEVER let a Thai lawyer keep the original of your will. If you are that paranoid that you want a lawyer to do it for you, go ahead, but secure the original with the local amphur, that way the lawyer can't touch it once it is signed and it only costs 20 THB for the peace of mind

Most have next to nothing and the ones that do, have mostly a will made already.

A small percentage will get lost in to where ever.

There will always be vultures on the lookout, like family, friends, prosties.

So who cares, you can't take it with you (I think many billionaires think they can, never enough).

People die unexpectedly all over hte world - this is not a Thailand phenomenon.

Most people who have assets of value have proper documentation and plans where they want their possessions to go - people who are responsible have "Wills" - -

If they don't care enough to make plans, to help the ones they love, why should anyone else care?

I am sure if they had Phuket lawyers writing their wills for them, the lawyers were the only one's who benefitted

There was a post here a few months ago where an Englishman told all his friends that he was leaving his estate to the local school but after he died his lawyer stated that he died intestate (without a will) so the lawyer sucked up the estate in legal fees, the kids got nothing

NEVER let a Thai lawyer keep the original of your will. If you are that paranoid that you want a lawyer to do it for you, go ahead, but secure the original with the local amphur, that way the lawyer can't touch it once it is signed and it only costs 20 THB for the peace of mind

A few years back a friend of mine had a will drawn up by a Thai lawyer and asked me to be the executor. I tried telling him that leaving the will with the person who drew it up was probably not the best idea but he wouldn't listen and he's never provided me with a copy so it would be impossible to contest it should the lawyer try anything underhand.

My assets are defined by a Thai will and Australian will. Both say the same thing, and I've had the Thai language part translated independently. Assets in Thailand go to a Thai beneficiary, and assets in Australia go to Australian beneficiaries.

Incidentally, shop around. The price quoted to me by a well-known legal service was three times what I eventually paid. Obviously thought the falang was too dumb to recognise falang price.rolleyes.gif

"NEVER let a Thai lawyer keep the original of your will. If you are that paranoid that you want a lawyer to do it for you, go ahead, but secure the original with the local amphur, that way the lawyer can't touch it once it is signed and it only costs 20 THB for the peace of mind"

My lawyer kept one copy, gave me another and one to my beneficiary. Seems fairly common practice. Over the years I've updated the will a few times, using three different lawyers and they've all done the same thing. I would think if someone had the sense and foresight to make a will that he would ensure that it was not left solely in the custody of a lawyer. Aside from the possibility of fraud, there's no guarantee the lawyer will still be around when the person writing the will dies and the beneficiary ought to be able to present his/her copy to any lawyer for probate, not just the one who originally drew it up.

I knew an American guy who died here rather unexpectantly in Pattaya. He was living here with his long time Thai Gf and her kid. Everything fine. When he died. The Police closed/locked his place down. Let them remove there clothes only. The U.S. Embassy was there the next morning and inventoried everything. The Gf was out of the picture 100%. The family in the States let her return and have a few items but not stay even though rent had been paid. Money in the bank eventualy went to them as did big ticket items.

"NEVER let a Thai lawyer keep the original of your will. If you are that paranoid that you want a lawyer to do it for you, go ahead, but secure the original with the local amphur, that way the lawyer can't touch it once it is signed and it only costs 20 THB for the peace of mind"

My lawyer kept one copy, gave me another and one to my beneficiary. Seems fairly common practice. Over the years I've updated the will a few times, using three different lawyers and they've all done the same thing. I would think if someone had the sense and foresight to make a will that he would ensure that it was not left solely in the custody of a lawyer. Aside from the possibility of fraud, there's no guarantee the lawyer will still be around when the person writing the will dies and the beneficiary ought to be able to present his/her copy to any lawyer for probate, not just the one who originally drew it up.

"My lawyer kept one copy, gave me another and one to my beneficiary." - I don't think giving the beneficiary a copy is a wise thing to do in Thailand.

Her, or someone in her family, might come up with the bright idea that you are worth more to them dead, than alive.

Or, they might be surprised about what you are NOT leaving them, and end the relationship.

I knew an American guy who died here rather unexpectantly in Pattaya. He was living here with his long time Thai Gf and her kid. Everything fine. When he died. The Police closed/locked his place down. Let them remove there clothes only. The U.S. Embassy was there the next morning and inventoried everything. The Gf was out of the picture 100%. The family in the States let her return and have a few items but not stay even though rent had been paid. Money in the bank eventualy went to them as did big ticket items.

I really don't believe this since the US embassy would never be involved other than notifying next of Kin in the US.

Do you have links to the story?

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...

I checked one lawyer with goof reputation

he demanded 25% of the estate for handling everything upon my death

in this case it is a lot of money

I told him my executor would handle all of that and was told they would not do the will if that was the case

I lost my deposit when I asked for a refund 24 hrs later as apparently the case had been opened????

hopefully I will either get my assets out of here or see another lawyer that will play by my rules,,, if one exists

Sounds very professional. Concerned the maids would clean out everything value Ebeneezer Scrooge style with carcass still warm in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a op ed a few years back in PG where a man had died of natural causes, he was single and the neighbors simply helped themselves to his belongings including a car. His relatives could not make the journey to initiate any proceedings.

If you do not have large holdings or assets for heirs, registering your family members with your embassy to be notified upon your death is sufficient and they can request police seal the home until they can arrive- if you have valuables- which were better left in home country in a safe deposit box.

Some embassies might assist, would make an interesting question to them.

Edited by FBlue72