British journalists face five years in Indonesian jail for visa violation

Jonathan Fairfield

British journalists face five years in Indonesian jail for visa violation

Two British journalists are facing five years in jail in Indonesia for making a documentary about piracy while allegedly on tourist visas.

Neil Bonner, 32, and Rebecca Prosser, 31, have been held for four months after they were arrested off the western island of Batam on 28 May. Their trial started this week.

The journalists’ families, who have until now avoided commenting on the case, told the Guardian they were hoping to a swift release.

“We love Becky very much and are so proud of her. We miss her very much and hope she will be home with us soon,” Bernard and Carmel Prosser said.

Barbara Shaw, Bonner’s mother, said: “Neil is bearing up OK under the circumstances. Neil is heartened by the incredible support he’s received – letters from people all over the world. It just shows you what a good man he is.”

Bonner and Prosser were making a documentary about piracy in south-east Asia for a London-based production company called Wall to Wall which was funded by National Geographic TV.

I can't believe NG funded them. I make documentaries and work with many others who do, too. When I work anywhere I get a media pass/visa. Yes, it costs a tidy little sum and makes you jump through extra hoops, but once you have it, it actually benefits you. Because it gets you access and cuts through red tape when filming. These people sound like amateurs. Whatever they're doing, they're making life difficult for the rest of us who are legitimate.

I can't believe NG funded them. I make documentaries and work with many others who do, too. When I work anywhere I get a media pass/visa. Yes, it costs a tidy little sum and makes you jump through extra hoops, but once you have it, it actually benefits you. Because it gets you access and cuts through red tape when filming. These people sound like amateurs. Whatever they're doing, they're making life difficult for the rest of us who are legitimate.

Such warm sympathy for two jailed fellow documentarians! Perhaps they felt the need to work below the radar, and decided that a press visa would actually keep doors closed, easy to imagine when the subject is piracy in that area. Regardless, 5 years in jail for not paying the extra for the proper visa sounds absurd. More likely that they uncovered some powerful connections to the Pirates, and are being silenced.

Such warm sympathy for two jailed fellow documentarians! Perhaps they felt the need to work below the radar, and decided that a press visa would actually keep doors closed, easy to imagine when the subject is piracy in that area. Regardless, 5 years in jail for not paying the extra for the proper visa sounds absurd. More likely that they uncovered some powerful connections to the Pirates, and are being silenced.

I think it serves them right,,,This maybe will stop other Idiots doing the same ,and making it a lot harder for Normal people whom are doing the right thing.

I don't know...my friends from hong kong got busted for shooting a WEDDING VIDEO in Phuket...the beat cop wanted...demanded...and received...like 30,000 bht to let them do the project. Yea they were a pro team getting paid with a full crew including hai make up etc....

On another note l

Re: doc46...do you suppose the vice guys get permits for everything? For example that north korean doc they did...totally lo pro under cover styles? There is a place to keep it under the radar...piracy? Indo? Working visa for a natgeo exposè? Yeaaaa RIGHT.

Edited by fireplay

I too make doco's and could not agree more. I have also had dealings with this company and they should know better. I was asked to look at doing a doco in Indonesia a couple of years back and am all too aware how risky it would have been to do this. You are supposed to have a govt minder follow you everywhere and you have to pay for their travel, food etc (or you can pay a 'fee' to have them stay at home). If they needed to work under the radar then the would have been aware of the risks involved. Difficult for me to have much sympathy to be honest as they knew what they were doing was illegal. I am guessing the reason it's such a draconian penalty is they have trodden on some important toes.

Edited by allan michaud

Then of course they are guilty of working without a permit and breaking the conditions of their tourist visas and should accept the legal consequences and any punishment freely. Which regulations do you feel do not apply to journalists?

Then of course they are guilty of working without a permit and breaking the conditions of their tourist visas and should accept the legal consequences and any punishment freely. Which regulations do you feel do not apply to journalists?

And the original article to which the OP is linked indicates that were doing a news story puff piece, not really a documentary. They just thought the rules were for other people, not them. I've seen the NatGeo people operate in Laos and in Vietnam. They usually do it right. They even have a NatGeo labelled jeep. This group were simply unprofessional law breakers.

Edited by Usernames

Read the Guardian article; It takes MONTHS to get media visa and its often REFUSED.

The authorities basically don't want media to know about their business.

Many journalists have been in the same case.

I think it serves them right,,,This maybe will stop other Idiots doing the same ,and making it a lot harder for Normal people whom are doing the right thing.

Lord I wish we could ship all the 'serves them right' people like you off to your own country so you could live in the crappy unsympathetic society you think you want together without inflicting it on everyone else. Secondly, if you're going to use 'whom' you should at least learn how to use it correctly, otherwise it's just ridiculous.

And the original article to which the OP is linked indicates that were doing a news story puff piece, not really a documentary. They just thought the rules were for other people, not them. I've seen the NatGeo people operate in Laos and in Vietnam. They usually do it right. They even have a NatGeo labelled jeep. This group were simply unprofessional law breakers.

A "puff piece" about piracy? Oh, now these two unfortunates were doing a Monty Pythonesque documentary? You are hilarious without even trying!

I don't see anyone here saying that,other than you. But 5 years in prison for the wrong kind of visa? Seems harsh in the extreme, to say the least. If you don't agree with that, Guantanamo is always looking for guards with that same viewpoint. Lemme guess, when you read Les Miserables, you rooted for Inspector Javert?

I don't see anyone here saying that,other than you. But 5 years in prison for the wrong kind of visa? Seems harsh in the extreme, to say the least. If you don't agree with that, Guantanamo is always looking for guards with that same viewpoint. Lemme guess, when you read Les Miserables, you rooted for Inspector Javert?

You don't...... try reading more of the thread, 3rd reply for example. As to harsh sentences, well those and harsher can be had closer to home with the wrong comments. The rest of your comments are just silly. They haven't even been sentenced yet! And of course The Guardian is being,like you a bit of a drama queen.

In the past, Indonesia has deported foreign journalists or given shorter prison terms.

Edited by jacko45k