MRT will have ladies-only compartment during rush hour

Jonathan Fairfield

MRT to have lady bogie for women 'afraid to stand close to men'

crowded_mrt.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The MRT will have a ladies-only compartment during the rush hours to solve the problem of empty spaces in the train due to women who do not want to "stand too close to men."

It’s not just about paranoia. Earlier this month a woman reported she was punched and kicked by a random male stranger on her way to work.

Peerayuth Singpattanakul, Director of Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand, said yesterday the trains don’t get to transport the passengers at full capacity during rush hours because of the empty spaces.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-30

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest Peerayuth Singpattanakul gets on a train at peak times, he is talking rubbish, people are packed like sardines and dont care as they try to squeeze in any space. The best way to get more people on is to get them tro move down the carriage. also not enough trains/carriages.

Good for the ladies, maybe they get a little more comfort.

Bad for the image of the city (or Thailand), a new thing Bkk will have in common with Cairo and the trains in India. It sends the signal that the male population cannot be trusted to behave themselves, which IMO is generally false.

Thailand the host of the largest brothel in the universe is concerned about women ? puleezzee..

The Thai gov't reminds me of those old movies of the early European explorers, where they'd dress up in a coat & tie to go explore the jungles of Africa or Burma.

It's all about appearance and makes absolutely zero common sense.

I see it coming... soon there will be girls only dormitory separated from boys only domritory in university, and they will enforce the rules in the entire business society in Thailand, women only desks separated from men's only desks....

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Why do people have to be jampacked into the carriages? Can they not buy more carriages or more trains? I hate to be jampacked like that and guess many others with me. Also long qeueu's for ticketvending machines who even don't sell return tickets is a point for improvement.

Also Quality Tourists don't like it, especially the ones with big suitcases from shopping or with LV-purses.

What about a carriage for people who don't use deodorant?....

That would be the Arab/Pakistani/Indian carriage Old Chap.

I once broke my toe in a slip & fall stepping out of the shower tub. I was working with a Paki & limped in to work the next day.

He looked at me like I was an idiot & said, "You Americans. You are always bathing".

As they are thankfully in the minority I would just stop smelly people getting on. Everytime I smell body odour I take a glance around the carrigae and almost always find someone from the sub continent, however I occasionally spot the occasional farang who has given up on life.

As they are thankfully in the minority I would just stop smelly people getting on. Everytime I smell body odour I take a glance around the carrigae and almost always find someone from the sub continent, however I occasionally spot the occasional farang who has given up on life.

They should make them ride on the roof of the train, same as they do back home.

Edited by jaywalker

Unbelievable! London, Paris, New York, Chicago, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, Singapore, Beijing, Mekka (Saudi Arabia) Shenzhen, Hongkog, Chianghai, Moscow and Sao Paulo (the world's most densely populated city), have both elevated and underground commuter train systems (for many decades), without having to legislatively mandate the use of "female-only' designated coaches, during rush-hour.

To the best of my knowledge, to date, the only exception is Muslim dominated Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Makes one wonder about the coming ASEAN event of 2016, that perhaps those same (religiously motivated) socially uptight "head-trip" pressures, are now being brought to bare on Buddhist dominate Thailand, by some Malaysian "Datuk", with a loaded suitcase.. They (the Malaysians) already tried to get that "female only" designated coach law passed in Singapore. Fortunately Singapore's indigenous Malay population is miniscule, compared to that of the Chinese wai2.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

How about a carriage for whinging know it all farangs ? biggrin.png

You lost me on that one Soutpeel, and I normally agree with you on most topics.

Do you advocate crowded places with stinky-smelly people?

Aside from groping sex maniacs/rapists & murderers, they rank right up there with the most offensive idiots on the planet in my book.

I recall being on a ferry out to Koh Larn once & some Paki was up front, upwind, and about to gag everybody, Thai's mostly, who were covering their faces.

He was gagging me too! I Told him he stunk like a pig and that half the boatload of people were ready to throw him overboard, and that he needed a bath, in no uncertain terms.

I was quite the hero of many a Thai that day.

I suggested he go sit at the back of the boat, downwind of us clean folks. He did, but was utterly bewildered.

Edited by jaywalker

How about a carriage for whinging know it all farangs ? :D

Seems reasonable... Only problem is how to distinguish them from normal farangs who just just think they know it all!

How about a carriage for whinging know it all farangs ? :D
Seems reasonable... Only problem is how to distinguish them from normal farangs who just just think they know it all!
Easy the ones i refer to will be wearing white socks with their sandles and a rather large buddah medallion prominently displayed over the chang logo on their vests....and as already indicated in your other post they will be stinky as well ..

by jove think we have solved this...a single carriage for the stinkies and whingers:D

Edited by Soutpeel