US Cuts Off Millions In Military Aid To Thailand

george

US cuts off millions in military aid to Thailand

WASHINGTON: -- The United States cut off millions of dollars in military assistance to its ally Thailand on Thursday, in response to the military coup that ousted civilian prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the State Department said.

"In response to the military coup on September 19 in Thailand, the United States has suspended almost 24 million dollars of assistance to the Thai government," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said.

He said the aid cutoff involved foreign military financing, international military education and training, and peacekeeping operations.

"The United States continues to urge a rapid return to democratic rule and early elections in Thailand," McCormack said.

"We look forward to being able to reinstate these programs after a democratically-elected government takes office," he said.

The Thai military has enjoyed years of close ties to US armed forces in the Asia-Pacificregion.

The United States, which has also forged close anti-terror ties with Thailand, had previously condemned the coup and called on the ruling generals to call elections before their one-year deadline.

Official US military trips to Thailand had previously been suspended and all temporary defense duties in Thailand frozen, according to Stars and Stripes, a daily newspaper published for the US military.

US military personnel in Thailand on temporary orders have been recalled, it said.

The White House has also hinted that so far inconclusive talks with Bangkok on a free trade agreement might also depend on a return to democratic rule.

Thailand's military rulers said earlier Thursday they had selected a new prime minister to be unveiled at the weekend, but refused to say when they would lift martial law and pull troops off the streets.

Thailand is a key US diplomatic and non-NATO ally and has been a voice for democracy in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), which also includes several totalitarian states.

The fate was also unclear of the next annual "Cobra Gold" live-fire exercise, the largest US war games in Asia, which the United States hosts along with Thailand.

The exercises, launched 25 years ago and originally limited to US and Thai troops, has been expanded in recent years to include an anti-terror component.

It was not clear if next year's operation would be affected by the coup.

Thailand has also played an important role in the US "war on terror" launched after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Hambali, leader of the Al-Qaeda-affiliated Southeast Asian terror group Jemaah Islamiya, was captured in the country in August 2003.

But Thailand has denied reports in the US media that it was one of the sites for the CIA's secret prisons, now emptied, for top Al-Qaeda suspects.

In recent weeks, the United States had registered concern at an insurgency raging in the Muslim-majority south of the mainly Buddhist kingdom, fearing it could feed into Southeast Asia's Al-Qaeda-linked terror networks.

-- AFP 2006-09-29

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US Imposes Sanctions on Thailand

The United States has imposed sanctions against Thailand in response to the military coup which ousted civilian Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. The move involves cutting off $24m (£12.8m) in military assistance, according to the US state department. The US has urged the ruling generals to call elections as soon as possible.

Last week's coup has been widely welcomed in Thailand, but it has been condemned by most Western governments as a step backwards. State department spokesman Sean McCormack said the aid cut involved military education and training, peacekeeping operations and counter-terrorism.

Funding for humanitarian purposes would however continue, he said.

"The United States continues to urge a rapid return to democratic rule and early elections in Thailand," said Mr McCormack, adding that funds would be reinstated once an elected government was in office.

Thailand's military rulers said on Thursday they had selected a new prime minister who would serve until the promised elections in October 2007. But they did not reveal their choice and they refused to say when they would lift martial law and pull troops off the streets.

Important ally

Thailand is a key US diplomatic and non-Nato ally and has played an important role in the US "war on terror" following the 11 September 2001 attacks. Hambali, the alleged operations chief of South East Asian militant group Jemaah Islamiah, was arrested in Thailand in 2003.

The coup was staged on 19 September while the prime minister was in New York, attending the UN General Assembly.

The military overthrow followed months of growing tension in Thailand, with protests against Mr Thaksin and a general election which was annulled because of concerns about its legitimacy.

Source: BBC News Thursday, 28 September 2006, 19:17 GMT 20:17 UK

Read this article and follow other links:

US Imposes Sanctions on Thailand

As ever the America appears to be a "Fair Weather Friend"! I cannot help wondering what G.W.'s reaction would be if Thailand were to cancel it's agreement allowing U.S. bases here in Thailand. The current "Big Brother" attitude of it's incumbant president, certainly worries me. What do other forum members think? :o

Edited by A. BOOZER

Could come back to bite them in the arse.

Just Uncle Sam demonstrating that they have learned exactly nothing from all their foreign affairs policies of the last 100 years. Even the most naive backpaker has read about "face" in Thailand and know that Thais cannot be pushed around by anybody. Espescially a pigmy (intelectually and physically) president like Bush.

Is this the same withdrawing of aid to military regimes that is being applies to Musharaf in Pakistan? Didn't think so.

Sure China will be looking to fill the void.

Fight back, give the finger to KFC, Mc Junk Food and the like. I remember the yanks organising a campaign against the french

This looks like a do it by the book response from the USA. I don’t think they bothered to check that Democracy was just the name on the mailbox. Thaksin has gutted the house and the coup is at least for now the hired help to restore the house and perhaps install a burglar alarm too.

Not all medicine tastes good.

Just Uncle Sam demonstrating that they have learned exactly nothing from all their foreign affairs policies of the last 100 years. Even the most naive backpaker has read about "face" in Thailand and know that Thais cannot be pushed around by anybody. Espescially a pigmy (intelectually and physically) president like Bush.

Is this the same withdrawing of aid to military regimes that is being applies to Musharaf in Pakistan? Didn't think so.

Fight back, give the finger to KFC, Mc Junk Food and the like. I remember the yanks organising a campaign against the french

I can't believe the ignorance of this move, but I wouldn't blame Bush as much as I blame some of the local diplomats here in Bangkok who advise the State Department back home about this policy. These are the same guys that were pushing cigarettes, liquor, and drugs onto the Thais by going to the CDC. $24 Million?...take it from Taksin's estate..there's 50 years worth of funding in 1 billion dollars.

At the same time, the US is trying to push the unfair trade agreement which is obviously not welcomed by the general population. Thailand would do better to not just turn to China, but RUN as fast as they could because the US has obviously shown they are out to screw the country. China's economy is rising along with its military capability. The Chinese would love to sell their military equipment to Thailand...bet it would be a lot cheaper too. I bet you could get a lot for $24 million.

The US has far more to lose from a strategic military standpoint than Thailand and if this bullying continues, it won't be long before the Thais realize the price of US friendship is far more than they want to pay. It was not a co-incidence that the Princess had such a strong interest in the Chinese language. I know of many local Thais that feel the same way.

Perhaps the US is trying to ensure that the good intentions of the coup leaders do not change with time.

It is pretty common for those in power to try to hang on to it and the current leaders have already changed their minds several times about how long it will be until we return to civilian rule.

The US is trying to make sure that they stay on the straight and narrow :o

As ever the America appears to be a "Fair Weather Friend"! I cannot help wondering what G.W.'s reaction would be if Thailand were to cancel it's agreement allowing U.S. bases here in Thailand. The current "Big Brother" attitude of it's incumbant president, certainly worries me. What do other forum members think? :o

I think you are stuck in a time warp.There haven't been any American bases in Thailand for over 30 years.

As to the military aid being cancelled the amount was very small, and my guess is the White House was not even involved it this State Department decision.Essentially it represents a very mild expression of regret that a coup took place in a country where democracy seemed to have found roots.Most Thais would also regret the necessity of a coup but would argue it was in very exceptional circumstances necesary to clear a political blockage that normal procedures would not permit.

The vapourings of outrage from some are plain silly, making a mountain of the proverbial molehill.Thailand and the US will continue as close allies.

July 30, 2005

The President's Health

From his last exam:

-- Facts and figures about President Bush's health, from a physical examination Saturday at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. Bush, 59, was born July 6, 1946:

Height: 5 feet, 11 3/4 inches.

Weight: 191.6 pounds.

I hardly thing anyone almost 6' tall and 191 pounds qualifies for pigmy status. :D

If you're going to criticize someone's intelligence I suggest you learn to spell 'intellectually' correctly. :o

Back on topic......don't believe everything the media says. Behind the scenes negotiations happen all the time. The US can't be perceived as being 'selective' with regards to democratic governments. :D

This cut in aid, which we were warned about last week, is nothing. 14 million dollars is 8.5 baht per Thai. It isn't one percent of the defense expenditures of Thailand back in 2001. It's symbolic.

The announced cut in aid is only military, and our new leaders understand the signal. I suggest this cut is either symbolic, or it's required by a law not to give US aid to juntas that overthrow "democratically elected" governments. That law, if it exists, did not prevent the USA from immediately announcing support for the junta that overthrew Hugo Chavez' legal government for about three days. And that helps to explain how the USA lost whatever support it had, of one of its major suppliers of crude oil.

I trust our new leaders will take the hint, and will prove to the world that Thailand is not Myanmar, and can in fact form a truly democratic government which cannot be abused as it was under Thaksin.

I reckon it's simply a technicality.

Technical it's a Military Regime right now - how they can support this with military aid? Would make 'em an the US foreign policy look pretty stupid.

As soon as T. is back to normal - aid will flow again. So please remain seated!

I think you are stuck in a time warp.There haven't been any American bases in Thailand for over 30 years.

At any given time there at least a few hundred US Military personnel in Thailand , from Spec Ops all the way down the line.

can you name a country that is NOT true about?

During the first election, in 2001, Thaksin also told the media here that he was a personal friend of GW Bush. Don't know how "personal" that would be. But maybe this could have something with latest US actions. If Thaksin is a friend of GW Bush... How uncorrupt is then GW Bush himself?

Just some thoughts...

I reckon it's simply a technicality.

Technical it's a Military Regime right now - how they can support this with military aid? Would make 'em an the US foreign policy look pretty stupid.

As soon as T. is back to normal - aid will flow again. So please remain seated!

US foreign policy historically hasn't always been too smart or driven by moral character, but driven by economic or political motives. If Thailand was a major source of oil and Taksin was friendly to the US, you would be sure the outcry would soon be followed by an aircraft carrier or two sailing into Pattaya. Surely, the policy on aid could have waited until after the promised date of the turnover to civilian rule. To the average Thai, they believe what they read in the newspapers, and what they read is that the US is poking their noses into something that is yet to be completed. Thais are proud people and any perceived loss of face could spark irreversible damage.

This action is such that Thailand can now begin to feel out and explore other potential allies who they feel are more loyal and have more to offer in a partnership. With the many Thais of ethnic Chinese decent, it wouldn't be too far fetched to see much stronger Chinese/Thai relations going forward.

The cut in military aid is nothing more than symbolic. It just puts people on notice that a coup is not considered a good idea. If the country runs into the least bit of a problem, the US will be here in an instant to help.

The cut in military aid is nothing more than symbolic. It just puts people on notice that a coup is not considered a good idea. If the country runs into the least bit of a problem, the US will be here in an instant to help.

And just who would they help? How would they justify coming into a country, picking a side to back and imposing their values on the people of that country? Isn't that what happened in Viet Nam?

Saddam Hussein used to manipulate elections for his own end - like Taksin.

Who got rid of Saddam?

24 million is nothing - Taksin was probably syphoning off more than that in a couple of weeks...

That was also my first thought. With Thaksin and TRT gone, Thailand will make that up in no time. The US can shove that 24 million far up it's a*% if they're that much out of tune on what was and is going on over here. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

At any given time there at least a few hundred US Military personnel in Thailand , from Spec Ops all the way down the line.

can you name a country that is NOT true about?

IRAN

This cut in aid, which we were warned about last week, is nothing. 14 million dollars is 8.5 baht per Thai. It isn't one percent of the defense expenditures of Thailand back in 2001. It's symbolic.

The announced cut in aid is only military, and our new leaders understand the signal. I suggest this cut is either symbolic, or it's required by a law not to give US aid to juntas that overthrow "democratically elected" governments. That law, if it exists, did not prevent the USA from immediately announcing support for the junta that overthrew Hugo Chavez' legal government for about three days. And that helps to explain how the USA lost whatever support it had, of one of its major suppliers of crude oil.

I trust our new leaders will take the hint, and will prove to the world that Thailand is not Myanmar, and can in fact form a truly democratic government which cannot be abused as it was under Thaksin.

well said :o

What about the huge US radio station here in the North, it is far too big to be just a radio station :o

Scott and others;

Yep this was just a pinch on the tip of a little finger, not even a slap on the wrist. Token for the media.

Thaksin had been pushing the military into playing 'Let's make a deal' with too many other foreign arms dealers, the US hopes those days are over. If new Thailand is smart, they would begin negotiating arms deals with the US in the name of counter terrorism immediately. Even if it's just vapour. End of negative press. End of problem. Period.

Hey, it's win win situation for both sides. No it doesn't let anybody in the door that wasn't here already. No it isn't brown nosing. Yes, it would make the 1st world shut up and sit down.

What about the huge US radio station here in the North, it is far too big to be just a radio station :o

maybe it's a cia prison :D