Grumpy Thai Employees? No way.

NoshowJones

As I was exercising on the treadmill at one of big gyms in Pattaya today, I got sprayed in the face with cleanser. I looked at the female employee who did it, and she was VERY grumpy and it was obviously intentional. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

You maybe upset her, without realising it. I find it hard to believe that you were just exercising, and the female for no reason

just sprayed you in the face. Is it possible she mistook you for someone else?

Edited by possum1931

Yes ....sometimes I have......but not described as grumpy rather just moody and you can see they do not like their job or having to be working serving others.

Mostly though they do their job with a smile and do it well enough...but every so often I do come across an employee that comes with attitude whether it be at that moment or on that day ....so ..... being there at the wrong place at the wrong time, comes to mind.

Personally I have found the moody person that comes with an attitude situation more so with young girls and women who can not handle the work load or the pace at which they have to work and mostly seen in office jobs amongst girls that are university educated......while I think they think they are entitled to be grumpy or moody......but I have seen it and or experienced it and or had it explained to me in detail often enough by people who have to work with some people who are moody ...all the time.

I sympathize with the young girls and young boys that work at places such as 7 /11 or when you are in the line up at the super market watching the cashier doing what needs to be done, while it makes me think about other peoples lives and what they do to make a living and make ends meet and I feel fortunate that I did not have to do jobs like that on a regular employment basis......seemingly forever....but ...then again my first temporary job was as a stock boy in a super market...lol

Point being....I think you and I would also be grumpy, at least some of the time, if we had to do some of the jobs and thankless work tasks that so many employees have to perform...day in and day out, near everyday and on and on and probably never have the opportunity to find another job...unless they are fired or laid off and then forced to look for another go nowhere, lousy, low paying job.

Cheers

I see what you are saying, back in the UK, I would never do any job I did not like, but I do understand some Thai peoples way of thinking, I have

always found out here that if you are good to people and mind your own business, you will always get on OK here in Thailand.

Yes ....sometimes I have......but not described as grumpy rather just moody and you can see they do not like their job or having to be working serving others.

Mostly though they do their job with a smile and do it well enough...but every so often I do come across an employee that comes with attitude whether it be at that moment or on that day ....so ..... being there at the wrong place at the wrong time, comes to mind.

Personally I have found the moody person that comes with an attitude situation more so with young girls and women who can not handle the work load or the pace at which they have to work and mostly seen in office jobs amongst girls that are university educated......while I think they think they are entitled to be grumpy or moody......but I have seen it and or experienced it and or had it explained to me in detail often enough by people who have to work with some people who are moody ...all the time.

I sympathize with the young girls and young boys that work at places such as 7 /11 or when you are in the line up at the super market watching the cashier doing what needs to be done, while it makes me think about other peoples lives and what they do to make a living and make ends meet and I feel fortunate that I did not have to do jobs like that on a regular employment basis......seemingly forever....but ...then again my first temporary job was as a stock boy in a super market...lol

Point being....I think you and I would also be grumpy, at least some of the time, if we had to do some of the jobs and thankless work tasks that so many employees have to perform...day in and day out, near everyday and on and on and probably never have the opportunity to find another job...unless they are fired or laid off and then forced to look for another go nowhere, lousy, low paying job.

Cheers

I see what you are saying, back in the UK, I would never do any job I did not like, but I do understand some Thai peoples way of thinking, I have

always found out here that if you are good to people and mind your own business, you will always get on OK here in Thailand.

I would say that being a hotel receptionist would be considered a somewhat stressful job considering all the many, many people you have to deal with....while all too often they want to complain to someone while you are the one that gets an earful of complaints.

I would surmise if you are a person that works as a receptionist at a hotel, especially a large hotel and you can not be calm and collective all the time..... then... hotel management is not a good line of employment for such persons.

I have stood there at the hotel reception waiting for something while other guests come and start complaining about something that sounds pretty minor on the scale of what is considered a problem while I wanted to intervene and tell the client to shut up and find something to complain about that has some SUBSTANCE ......at least....lol

I can imagine there would be a higher rate of "grumpiness" amongst hotel reception employees.

Cheers

Find staff everywhere in Thailand far more cheerful than in England, except for our local Tesco Express, which has a couple of miserable buggers sometimes. I was brought up to smile and be polite to my elders. Still works 99% of the time, but now my elders are my "youngers". I have trouble walking, so in supermarkets I use the trolley as an aid. A few weeks ago in Phetchabun Makro I was pushing my trolley back to the truck, using it as support. A car park attendant saw me and thought I was struggling to push it. He grabbed the trolley, took it to the truck and unloaded it. I hobbled along like a cripple who'd just had his crutches kicked away. But what service!

Imagine you work at backpackers guesthouse in Cambodia - Sihanouville, and 1am some ladies walk in who are aggressively bargaining to get discount on a $12,50 per night room. I don't even work there but it made ME grumpy lol, it were two ladies from my country so I berated them in our own language.

Cheers

I would say that being a hotel receptionist would be considered a somewhat stressful job considering all the many, many people you have to deal with....while all too often they want to complain to someone while you are the one that gets an earful of complaints.

I would surmise if you are a person that works as a receptionist at a hotel, especially a large hotel and you can not be calm and collective all the time..... then... hotel management is not a good line of employment for such persons.

I have stood there at the hotel reception waiting for something while other guests come and start complaining about something that sounds pretty minor on the scale of what is considered a problem while I wanted to intervene and tell the client to shut up and find something to complain about that has some SUBSTANCE ......at least....lol

I can imagine there would be a higher rate of "grumpiness" amongst hotel reception employees.

Cheers

I would love to see a Thai girl really angry while at her job, so that I could approach her, give her a smile and be really nice to her.

I can't help thinking she would be really nice back to me.

Often if i go into town to run some errands i have such a good time smiling and chatting with the local that by the time i get home i am literally buzzing.

How many places in the world can you get that?

You always get back what you give out.

For some reason MAKRO seem to have the most friendly staff I know of; at Pattaya south and north, Petchabun, Mae Sot and a few others I have used. One day at Pattaya north I was checking out and noticed a small bottle of massage liniment with the girl at the next vacant check-out and asked her if MAKRO was now selling that. No, she said,why whats wrong? I have a sore neck I said; she jumped over with the liniment and started massaging my neck while waiting for my bill; can't beat that.

Everyone at Makro is always friendly and helpful. I normally dislike parking attendants because the annoy me blowing the whistle in a task I am perfectly capable of doing. The ones at Makro however are very friendly and come and get my cart right away. I commonly give them a 20 baht tip. I reward people for doing their job well.

I shop mostly at Rimpings (near the TAT in CM). I find them all smiling and pleasant. If I can't find something that I have bought previously I take the wrapper or label to show. The employee gestures for me to wait, then literally runs to find someone who can (theoretically) speak English and find what I want. I actually find them rather cute and have a bit of a quiet laugh. At Tops (near the Ram), they are pleasant enough too, although the lady who runs the bakery is rather grumpy.

If you want to see GRUMPY you want to go through the cash in my local Carrefour on a Sunday morning. Horrifying.

On the other hand the most pleasant and really helpful was in a big supermarket in Richmond (London). I had a list of English things I wanted to take home. Not knowing the place I got rather frustrated trying to find what I wanted, so went up to an employee wandering around. She did all of my very long list of shopping. That is she took me around and 'those are the jellies Madam, this is our range of horseradish etc'. Wouldn't take a tip either. I had the same thing happen in Trader Joe in San Diego. I would just love to see someone do that in a French supermarket.

For some reason MAKRO seem to have the most friendly staff I know of; at Pattaya south and north, Petchabun, Mae Sot and a few others I have used. One day at Pattaya north I was checking out and noticed a small bottle of massage liniment with the girl at the next vacant check-out and asked her if MAKRO was now selling that. No, she said,why whats wrong? I have a sore neck I said; she jumped over with the liniment and started massaging my neck while waiting for my bill; can't beat that.

Next time you can tell her you have a sore groin.