Why the Check in to live in Thailand, I was asked.....

JAFO

So a few of my colleagues and I were having this chat over lunch yesterday as one was asking me about my upcoming move back home in Thailand. We discussed cost of living, the difference between the US and Thailand etc. One said "but why do foreigners have to check in to stay?" One thought that would get really annoying. I told him if you are there on a B1 Work Visa or AO visa its not too bad. I told them I do not mind it much. They asked why. I said "think about it, If there were no checks and balances could you imagine what the country would be like?" I said sadly Thailand (and a few other surrounding countries) are magnets for drunkards, mental defects, Pedo's, perverts, human traffickers, drug addicts, real estate scammers, frauds, etc. The Thai legal system has no infrastructure to contend with this influx of people. I said do not get me wrong, there are many respectful foreigners living a very nice comfortable peaceful responsible life in Thailand but unfortunately we go unnoticed and there are no provisions in place to actually offer those foreigners options to stay without having to check in. Its a "blanket control" to manage the idiots that ruin it for the others. I said its the same everywhere in th world in many regards, there are always a few that ruin it and make it difficult for others. I said, Look at the US, we let anyone in with no controls and look what has happened. Viet Gangs, Mexican gangs, Chinese Gangs, Filipino Gangs. They exploit the system and a great number never pay taxes. Chinese are buying up real estate like crazy. The US is a mess. We all agreed.

What do others think about the check in's. Good? Bad? Ridiculous?. They really do not bother me much and in many ways I am glad they exist. While the majority of the issues happen in the top 3 or 4 tourist locations outside of that I would be more worried wealthy foreigners with loads of disposable income would come buy up all the beach front locations and destroy it. I like Thailand for what it is isn't. It would be a sad shame to see every place a strip mall of Targets, Costco's, Lowes, Starbucks, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Panda Express Verizon and AT&T stores. Albeit that in some of the tourist locations that is happening to a great degree now but it isn't easy to do.

Edited by JAFO

My own opinion is that the 90 day report is no big deal, I do mine by post. It would be more of a problem if it had to be done in person.

What I would like to see would be something on the lines of a 5 yr or 10 yr visa issued for those that have married/family/children etc or have been residing in the Kingdom by whatever appropriate visa for more than 5 consecutive years can then get a "long stay" permit or something on those lines.

My own opinion is that the 90 day report is no big deal, I do mine by post. It would be more of a problem if it had to be done in person.

What I would like to see would be something on the lines of a 5 yr or 10 yr visa issued for those that have married/family/children etc or have been residing in the Kingdom by whatever appropriate visa for more than 5 consecutive years can then get a "long stay" permit or something on those lines.

I agree. It would be very nice for the folks who live there, established, married, homeowners etc to have a path to acquiring a VISA that would only require random checks etc.

My 90 day reports are done by the company so its invisible to me but in the very near future I will likely pull the plug early so to speak and stop working and relax with my wife. It would be nice to have available VISA's based on your status in Thailand.

Has any Thai official ever explained the reasoning behind the ninety-day report? It would be nice to hear.

They dont know...... It is just there because some lightbulb up the foodchain, in th past decided so,,,

nothing else.

Glegolo

Living/working here for over 15 years, still being referred to as non-immigrant in my visa status

A nonimmigrant visa is the visa issued to persons with a permanent residence outside 'Thailand' but who wishes to be in 'Thailand' on a temporary basis (i.e. Tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, or study.

I have no permanent residence, as probably many of you, outside Thailand. My permanent residence is Thailand..

Are we technically homeless??

I can assure you Costco won't be coming to Thailand.

As for the 90 day reports, it's a ridiculous system with no benefit to any party. The undesirables will always find a way to circumvent the system.

It was a move to gain political recognition by some member of the junta back in 1977 or 1978. True, it has no real value, but it pleases conservatives who think it is useful to keep track of undesirables (foreigners). There are conservatives in the U.S. who want to install a similar system there, but they also want to have a RFD chip implanted in every child born there, so they can identify citizens (and control them).

If you are married here I think you should be able to become a permanent resident, without the need for 90 day reports. Australia, UK and many other countries allow this.

Oh, you don't have to be married. The procedure is complicated, and there's a limit of something like 100 for each nationality, and the application period is normally a one-hour period some time in December, announced the day before in a room in the basement of Immigration to the janitorial staff, but it's possible. If approved you have to "deposit" ฿180,000 for a booklet that you must carry with you at all times. If you don't have a high paying job that causes you to pay high taxes you probably won't be approved, but you can apply. Go to your nearby Immigration office and ask about it. Oh, you have to be able to speak Thai, that's one of the requirements.

The 90 day address report is simply the law. Guess past govts and the current govt feel it's needed to properly keep track of farangs.

Except for those that do not want to be kept track of. It seems pretty easy for them to ignore the 90-day reports or visa runs and get away with it pretty easily. Otherwise, you wouldn't be reading about lots of people who overstay. In other words, immigration doesn't really keep track of those who DO NOT report in. They generally are not caught unless they break the law or when they are leaving the country.

So what good does it really do?

Edited by oneday

So a few of my colleagues and I were having this chat over lunch yesterday as one was asking me about my upcoming move back home in Thailand. We discussed cost of living, the difference between the US and Thailand etc. One said "but why do foreigners have to check in to stay?" One thought that would get really annoying. I told him if you are there on a B1 Work Visa or AO visa its not too bad. I told them I do not mind it much. They asked why. I said "think about it, If there were no checks and balances could you imagine what the country would be like?" I said sadly Thailand (and a few other surrounding countries) are magnets for drunkards, mental defects, Pedo's, perverts, human traffickers, drug addicts, real estate scammers, frauds, etc. The Thai legal system has no infrastructure to contend with this influx of people. I said do not get me wrong, there are many respectful foreigners living a very nice comfortable peaceful responsible life in Thailand but unfortunately we go unnoticed and there are no provisions in place to actually offer those foreigners options to stay without having to check in. Its a "blanket control" to manage the idiots that ruin it for the others. I said its the same everywhere in th world in many regards, there are always a few that ruin it and make it difficult for others. I said, Look at the US, we let anyone in with no controls and look what has happened. Viet Gangs, Mexican gangs, Chinese Gangs, Filipino Gangs. They exploit the system and a great number never pay taxes. Chinese are buying up real estate like crazy. The US is a mess. We all agreed.

What do others think about the check in's. Good? Bad? Ridiculous?. They really do not bother me much and in many ways I am glad they exist. While the majority of the issues happen in the top 3 or 4 tourist locations outside of that I would be more worried wealthy foreigners with loads of disposable income would come buy up all the beach front locations and destroy it. I like Thailand for what it is isn't. It would be a sad shame to see every place a strip mall of Targets, Costco's, Lowes, Starbucks, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Panda Express Verizon and AT&T stores. Albeit that in some of the tourist locations that is happening to a great degree now but it isn't easy to do.

First, you clearly have no idea what 'checks and balances' refers to.

Second, remind us how filling a form, either at an Immigration office, or mailing one in, or doing it online constitutes any deterrent to would-be miscreants.

Checks and balances, my hairy *ss.

I call troll, or moron, whichever...

CharlieH, on 01 Oct 2015 - 20:58, said:

I do my 90 days by internet no problem

The 90 day report - easy.

Annual extension (CNX) - ridiculous. Appointment of visa agent basically mandatory unless you desire extreme pain.

Retirement visa - of course, I wish to stay here until death. Been here 13 years thus far.

PR - no, no for ol' farts.

Nothing I can do so grin & bear it one year at a time.

It never ceases to amaze me how many continue to complain about 90 day reports. Yes, I agree, waste of time & serve no legitimate purpose other than to let us know "they" are in control. BUT, it has been the rule for decades. You knew about it before you settled here. If going to immigration is too much trouble, post or online is available. If this is the biggest gripe you have in life you are doing extremely well.

Cheers..... Mal.

The 90 day address report is simply the law. Guess past govts and the current govt feel it's needed to properly keep track of farangs.

My thoughts are that the 90-day reports keep track of the honest farangs.

One often reads of people overstaying here for some years and then worrying about paying the fine when they eventually check out.

Why didn't they do 90-day checks? Who knows?

I can assure you Costco won't be coming to Thailand.

As for the 90 day reports, it's a ridiculous system with no benefit to any party. The undesirables will always find a way to circumvent the system.

You're right about the undesirables, you only have to look on here where many come and ask for help in finding ways to do exactly that. And just look at how many go out of their way to assist these types. It's a joke how so many criminals are able to gain access to the country despite their criminal records. It is obvious they do not disclose their history upon entering the Kingdom, which in itself, is an offence and should disqualify them from entry. But then money speaks all languages doesn't it?

As for the 90 day report, yes, it is a time wasting exercise but if we have to do it, then we have to do it. Maybe if they looked at the reporting habits of many legitimate expats, those who abide by the rules and are here for legitimate reasons, not this border run BS, then maybe this aspect could be changed to yearly reporting. I know, I'm only dreaming.

To properly keep track of farangs. Hardly, if they could then we would not read about these over stayers coming on here and begging for help in how to circumvent their problem or at least lessen their penalties.

Also never stops those with colorful backgrounds getting in either. I love Thailand and is it is now my home but it disgusts me the way corruption is the norm rather than the exception. But then it is not only here, it is world wide and will never be stopped as long as we are ruled by greed.

I think the 90 reports are a good idea. If the government needs to find someone it makes it easier I assume. I think the US should do it too. Just like the fact you have to have the color of your car correct on your documents in Thailand.

I know you can do things to fool the government but, say, a person in your family moved to Thailand and you can't find them. Maybe you have a better chance if they reported their address to the police. True? Not true?

Wouldn't it be much better if they just treated us like wildlife? Sneak up on us 1 by 1, tranquilize us, eletronicly tag us and release back into the wild. That way we could just go about our business and they could fly around and take notes. clap2.gif

Living/working here for over 15 years, still being referred to as non-immigrant in my visa status

A nonimmigrant visa is the visa issued to persons with a permanent residence outside 'Thailand' but who wishes to be in 'Thailand' on a temporary basis (i.e. Tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, or study.

I have no permanent residence, as probably many of you, outside Thailand. My permanent residence is Thailand..

Are we technically homeless??

Yes, but Thailand is better than our home countries for various reasons, so we just have to go through some hoops

if we want to stay here.

They should make it easier for married Farangs to live here, though I would agree there should be regular checks

to make sure we are still married, and apart from the death of our wife, should immediately lose any marriage visa

if we divorce or separate.

I never was required to do a 90 day check in in Iran, Morocco, Malaysia, Taiwan or South Korea. There are no 90 day check ins in the USA unless you are a patrolled convict or in the EU for that matter. The only requirement for resident visa holders was to go to the local police station and register a new address.

I think this rule was just a whim that seemed like a good idea to give face to some minister and generate a little cash.

I never was required to do a 90 day check in in Iran, Morocco, Malaysia, Taiwan or South Korea. There are no 90 day check ins in the USA unless you are a patrolled convict or in the EU for that matter. The only requirement for resident visa holders was to go to the local police station and register a new address.

I think this rule was just a whim that seemed like a good idea to give face to some minister and generate a little cash.

Dont know where the "generate a little cash" comes in as there is no cost to a 90 day report. In fact it just increases the admin for absolutely no gain that I can see.

If you are married here I think you should be able to become a permanent resident, without the need for 90 day reports. Australia, UK and many other countries allow this.

I agree, but if there is a divorce or break up of the marriage, you should get your marriage visa (in whatever form) taken away.

I know there are many cases in the UK where the person marries someone from another country, they separate or divorce, and that

person from the other country has permanent residency to stay in the UK and after a short time has a UK passport. I think that is very wrong.