32 provinces on alert for Storm Mujigae

Lite Beer

Director-General Chatchai Promlert is just doing his job.

Thailand should be leaping with joy at the prospect of another storm to shed rain on an otherwise drought ridden country. The more rain the better, however, due to the fact that collection and storage of runoff in many areas is incomplete and in most cases simply ignored, there will be the inevitable flooding and other related natural disasters like landslides due to deforestation of hillsides, after all, heavy rainstorms are a new feature of the weather here.whistling.gif

It is better that the heaviest rain falls in the north and northeast as the northern dams are dangerously low.

I hope our villages are preparing a committee and party to welcome Ms Mujigae's arrival. Long may she rain.

This storm is staying well away from Thailand,go to the joint typhoon warning center website,it's from NOAA the American weather agency,this usually quite accurately shows the storm tracks.

There were always the odd days of thunderstorms in the outskirts of Chiang Mai during the hottest months, March, April and May, but I noticed within the last 3 years these storms are being accompanied by strong gale force winds, mostly localised and lasting between 20 to 30 minutes.

Last year we thought the house would cave in during one of those storms. It`s getting more unpredictable and scarier each year.

Director-General Chatchai Promlert is just doing his job.

Thailand should be leaping with joy at the prospect of another storm to shed rain on an otherwise drought ridden country. The more rain the better, however, due to the fact that collection and storage of runoff in many areas is incomplete and in most cases simply ignored, there will be the inevitable flooding and other related natural disasters like landslides due to deforestation of hillsides, after all, heavy rainstorms are a new feature of the weather here.whistling.gif

It is better that the heaviest rain falls in the north and northeast as the northern dams are dangerously low.

I hope our villages are preparing a committee and party to welcome Ms Mujigae's arrival. Long may she rain.

You may think it's a good thing but the wife doesn't! Her mango orchard is in flower at the mo and the heavy rain has caused the loss of 60 to 70% of the flowers. And with it being overcast for the last 4 days the trees have to be sprayed daily to control the black mold.

That's our main income for the year hit!

upper part of the country? Which 32 places would the storm hit??

Please look AT THIS WEBSITE.

It will show you where the storm is in pretty much real time.

..........And Ratcatcher's map is pretty cool too.

absolutely amazing pictures-brilliant site, one of the best posts of the year thanks jaywalker

There were always the odd days of thunderstorms in the outskirts of Chiang Mai during the hottest months, March, April and May, but I noticed within the last 3 years these storms are being accompanied by strong gale force winds, mostly localised and lasting between 20 to 30 minutes.

Last year we thought the house would cave in during one of those storms. It`s getting more unpredictable and scarier each year.

So have you done anything to strengthen the house, or will you do the Thai thing and just wait and see ?

And those 32 Provinces are???????????????????????????

....all in Thailand. laugh.png

Very amusing.

Considering my house was ones of the ones that got flooded 2 weeks ago, I would like to know if we need to prepare for the worst again.

Heavy rains a couple of nights (and days) but only a few really rainy days the whole wet season. Ping river seems to still flow ~1.5m lower than last couple of years - it's at the lowest that I can remember historically, and I do know there have been flash floods and everything, for couple of years in a row, and our moobaan & house sit right next (<100m) to the riverbench.