Hopefully not a stupid question re ATM's

I rarely use atm's now, preferring to transfer funds instead. However, when I have used them my bank statement says ( for example ) 20,000 Baht at X per pound exchange rate. Then on the next line there is a charge of 180 Baht that my bank takes.

I rarely use atm's now, preferring to transfer funds instead. However, when I have used them my bank statement says ( for example ) 20,000 Baht at X per pound exchange rate. Then on the next line there is a charge of 180 Baht that my bank takes.

Its not your bank its the Thai Bank that takes the 180 Baht ??

My bad......Sorry for the confusion. old age you know!!!

Checked old statement and the entry is......Card transaction....THB 20,150.00. so you are correct Chivas, the Thai bank adds it to your withdrawal.

Going off to give myself a severe talking too....facepalm.gif

Not a big issue, even if your balance is extremely close to the limit. If your balance is insufficient to give you the amount you want, and pay the fee, the machine will tell you that. Then, you can reduce your withdrawal amount by just enough to bring you within the limit of your balance.

The charge is added to the withdrawal amount.

So it will exceed the maximum draw in effect ??

Not really...basically the ATM is saying the max it will give "you" is X-amount such as Bt20K, Bt25K, or Bt30K...that's how much you receive when it spits out of the machine. But when they charge a withdrawal fee such as Bt180 for foreign card initially it is usually lumped into the total amount hitting your home country bank account. Later on your home country bank may breakout that ATM fee on your statement...all depends on your home country bank how they lump in or separate out the ATM fee...how they want to show it.

But if your are trying to avoid exceeding the max per day/transaction limit set by your home country bank you do need to combine that Bt180 fee with the amount withdrawn towards your max per day/transaction limit.

The charge is added to the withdrawal amount.

So it will exceed the maximum draw in effect ??

Not really...basically the ATM is saying the max it will give "you" is X-amount such as Bt20K, Bt25K, or Bt30K...that's how much you receive when it spits out of the machine. But when they charge a withdrawal fee such as Bt180 for foreign card initially it is usually lumped into the total amount hitting your home country bank account. Later on your home country bank may breakout that ATM fee on your statement...all depends on your home country bank how they lump in or separate out the ATM fee...how they want to show it.

But if your are trying to avoid exceeding the max per day/transaction limit set by your home country bank you do need to combine that Bt180 fee with the amount withdrawn towards your max per day/transaction limit.

You'd have a job to find an ATM that would spew out enough in a single draw to defeat the Revolut Mastercard, At current rates its 110,000 Baht a day

Yeap, many cards now days exceed the per transaction limit or daily limit of Thai ATMs since Thai ATMs limited a withdrawal to a max of Bt30K...and some have a max of Bt20K. Anyway, all of my U.S. debit cards have a per ATM withdrawal and/or daily withdrawal limit of $1000 which is a little over Bt36K at the current exchange rate.

But I've seen posts where a person's card has a much lower daily/per transaction limit than 1000 USD equivalent....I've seen a few posts to where it was down around 200 USD equivalent....all depends on the card-issuing bank's policy and the kind of card a person has.

Yeap, many cards now days exceed the per transaction limit or daily limit of Thai ATMs since Thai ATMs limited a withdrawal to a max of Bt30K...and some have a max of Bt20K. Anyway, all of my U.S. debit cards have a per ATM withdrawal and/or daily withdrawal limit of $1000 which is a little over Bt36K at the current exchange rate.

But I've seen posts where a person's card has a much lower daily/per transaction limit than 1000 USD equivalent....I've seen a few posts to where it was down around 200 USD equivalent....all depends on the card-issuing bank's policy and the kind of card a person has.

I will add to my previous post that Revolut do have a total limit of £5000 over 96 Hours although I understand that's being brought down to 72 Hours shortly if not already