bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

With the possible exception of Warm-Up, bars on Nimmanhamin stop serving by midnight. Some will allow people to buy up to midnight and stick around a little while after to finish them. I haven't checked out the sois for a while, maybe they're quietly pushing the limits.

Speaking of soi bars, does anyone know the status of the new Blar Blar? According to true blue they were going to re-open somewhere near tawan dang, but I haven't seen anything in the soi 6 area that looks promising.

started building on the old blar blar bar Site, think boss said it was going to be a up market restaurant????
Nice. Much better that yet another crappy bar with overpriced 'beer' and awful music.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the possible exception of Warm-Up, bars on Nimmanhamin stop serving by midnight. Some will allow people to buy up to midnight and stick around a little while after to finish them. I haven't checked out the sois for a while, maybe they're quietly pushing the limits.

Speaking of soi bars, does anyone know the status of the new Blar Blar? According to true blue they were going to re-open somewhere near tawan dang, but I haven't seen anything in the soi 6 area that looks promising.

started building on the old blar blar bar Site, think boss said it was going to be a up market restaurant????
Nice. Much better that yet another crappy bar with overpriced 'beer' and awful music.

Went to Blar Blar last night and it wasn't there. Ended up in Dayli, they had a great live singer.

Two large Leo and a bucket of ice 180bht, they claimed no offers, but looked like no offers for foreigners as everyone else had bottles x3 on their table.

Couldn't find Cafe Club!

Edited by BritManToo

Went to Blar Blar last night and it wasn't there. Ended up in Dayli, they had a great live singer.

Two large Leo and a bucket of ice 180bht, they claimed no offers, but looked like no offers for foreigners as everyone else had bottles x3 on their table.

Couldn't find Cafe Club!

Cafe is on Soi 7, 2 blocks north of Beer Repugnant Republic. They know what "promotion" is at Dayli, but their English is very limited. They don't push them, but always ask before ordering. 2 large, warm leos, with a bucket of ice for 180? You're only reinforcing their belief that it's ok to serve warm beer. It was good for the first 10 years...

had a very bad experience in dayli bar the other night,Ye promo 3 leos 169 okay,3 opened bottles and ice, No thank you one at a time and no ice, given menu, some jerk 5 minutes later its gone 11 no food,only five past,bill come 220 you no no had ice so full price,never and I mean never will I ever set foot in that dump again.

had a very bad experience in dayli bar the other night,Ye promo 3 leos 169 okay,3 opened bottles and ice, No thank you one at a time and no ice, given menu, some jerk 5 minutes later its gone 11 no food,only five past,bill come 220 you no no had ice so full price,never and I mean never will I ever set foot in that dump again.

I don't blame you one bit. I said the same thing after they gave me and a friend the ice routine a few months ago. I went one time since, checked one for coldness, and walked. They switched managers a while back, and what few decent staff they had left. 3 large Tigers for 129 rotated through a deep freeze, was as good as it got...that's been five years. Even a year ago, they had a very large cooler with beers on ice, for those who don't drink like refugees....even that is no more. They likely have low rent, but their days are clearly numbered....just isn't much competition.

So you came in just before 11 and they refused to serve you food, so then they would not honour the promo price?

That sucks, What incompetence!

So you came in just before 11 and they refused to serve you food, so then they would not honour the promo price?

Some people really need to enjoy life more.

I would have just enjoyed the Beer, and ordered a Bucket of ice. One place I know charges 80 baht for ice, no big deal.

Handing customer menus then coming back to say "Kitchen Closed" is incompetence.

Used to know a guy owning a Mexican rest that served food until 10PM. If I came in to order a takeout Burrito after work at 09:45

staff stared daggers. Problem was if he wasn't there cracking the whip the employed staff of pierced and tattooed casual labour would break down Kitchen

to bugger of early. (Also giving away free food to friends, kids these days). Most restaurants in Japan for example have last order time clearly posted.

Advertising one is open until 10PM then saying Kitchen closed is a waste of time and may cause me to miss going to another restaurant that is actually taking orders until 10PM.

Now I end up at Burger King or cracking a tin of Vegan Chili to avoid near starvation...

Edited by arunsakda

You guys should smuggle a few beers in and just order one beer and quietly go to the toilet and open your own beer and drink that , you can save at least 5 baht per drink doing that

I don't like dual pricing.

Promotion prices for Thais 3x bottle for xxx (usually 3x leo for 200bht, inc ice)

Menu prices for foreigners. (Leo 70bht/bottle, ice 40bht)

And I asked for the promotion in Thai, as I speak Thai and it's a Thai bar.

I went to a bar in Nimmaheim , Charles sheep, I think the bar was called and I ordered a bucket of ice for 20 Baht , when my order arrived , I emptied out the ice and neatly re stacked the ice in the bucket , filling in all the air gaps , when the task was completed , I noticed that the ice bucket was only 3/4's full , so I said that I was only going to pay 15 Baht for it , no one rips me off because Im not Thai

Sounds like the promo was 3 bottles (with ice) at once. true blue ordered them one-by-one (without ice), so the establishment did not feel this was valid to get the promo price.

For the food, it sounds like a staffer routinely gave them a menu when they arrived, then five minutes later realized that the kitchen was about to close, so came back to the table and took away the menu, presumably explaining his mistake.

Not clearly written. Gotta order food to get the promo?

I don't drink three large Beers but will happily order a "promo" if somebody wants to share. Never heard of "Promotion for Thai only". That would make perfect sense though. Tolerate the presence and custom of Farnungs only if the foreigners pay more.

We always order ice, the bucket of ice a pittance. Unless it is cool season unfortunately in the "Nimman Pub" environment the bottles often not chilled sufficiently. "Nothing to get hung about".

Thai beer tastes better over ice anyway.

Edited by arunsakda

Not clearly written. Gotta order food to get the promo?

I don't drink three large Beers but will happily order a "promo" if somebody wants to share. Never heard of "Promotion for Thai only". That would make perfect sense though. Tolerate the presence and custom of Farnungs only if the foreigners pay more.

We always order ice, the bucket of ice a pittance. Unless it is cool season unfortunately in the "Nimman Pub" environment the bottles often not chilled sufficiently. "Nothing to get hung about".

Thai beer tastes better over ice anyway.

True. You can't taste it as much.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

I went to a bar in Nimmaheim , Charles sheep, I think the bar was called and I ordered a bucket of ice for 20 Baht , when my order arrived , I emptied out the ice and neatly re stacked the ice in the bucket , filling in all the air gaps , when the task was completed , I noticed that the ice bucket was only 3/4's full , so I said that I was only going to pay 15 Baht for it , no one rips me off because Im not Thai

Seriously? Wow. If ever a paragraph summed up everything that's wrong with the overtly cynical dimwits that frequent Thai visa forums, this is it. Instead of enjoying your night out,you stressed over whether your ice bucket was 100% full or 75% full. All in the name of saving a grand total of 5 baht. Thailand really does attract the absolute dregs of society.

Edited by somtum16

He was clearly poking fun of these people talking about how much the beer promotions are in the various bars and coming here to moan when some place tell them there isn’t any promotion.

If it wasn’t for this thread, I would have no idea what a beer actually cost in Thailand, not because I haven’t ordered any, just because it makes absolutely no difference to how much fun I am having.

I went to the upstairs part of OMG last night (the staff call it OMG 2) and was surprised at the number of westerners there--they made up about 20% of the customers. That's high by Nimmanhamin standards.

I didn't ask about beer promotions, but Leo is 75 baht a large bottle, which shouldn't bankrupt anyone. The general consensus is that the food isn't good (the owner also owned the now closed DeGarden, she couldn't keep a decent cook there also). In spite of this it is quite popular with young people, I and the owner were the only old farts there. It has two pool tables which were both kept busy while I was there.

They now have a cooler with expensive import beer, similar to the selection that Beer Garden used to have. Prices aren't cheap, around 200 baht a bottle, but if you crave a good beer and don't want to take a chance on the hit or miss quality of Beer Lab, OMG 2 is an option.

Tabs are closed a little after 11pm, but you can still order drinks until almost midnight.

Edited by heybruce

He was clearly poking fun of these people talking about how much the beer promotions are in the various bars and coming here to moan when some place tell them there isn’t any promotion.

If it wasn’t for this thread, I would have no idea what a beer actually cost in Thailand, not because I haven’t ordered any, just because it makes absolutely no difference to how much fun I am having.

That wasn't clear at all to me. Sarcasm is hard enough to detect on the internet, his post didn't seem to contain any traces of it. If he was joking,I apologize. If he wasn't - my comment still stands.

I guess the "Charles sheep bar" bit went straight over your head

Yep! Paid more attention to the whole checking the ice bucket segment. Kind of stood out. My point still stands even if it's not applicable to the original person I replied to. Thailand seems to attract a host of the stingiest people on the planet. It's embarrassing seeing people argue over the price of a beer in town sometimes.

Yep! Paid more attention to the whole checking the ice bucket segment. Kind of stood out. My point still stands even if it's not applicable to the original person I replied to. Thailand seems to attract a host of the stingiest people on the planet. It's embarrassing seeing people argue over the price of a beer in town sometimes.

Unfortunately you are correct, there are some remarkably cheap ex-pats in Chiang Mai. A Thai friend told me of a westerner who went to the restaurant she worked at and ordered the cheapest thing on the menu, plus a bottle water with a glass of ice. When the water and ice arrived, he changed his mind about the water but asked that the glass of ice be left so he could drink it as the ice melted, without charge of course.

Edited by heybruce

Most popular retiree destinations are relatively cheap places to live....that really shouldn't require an explanation. However, without even first considering price; a bar must be able to do what most of us can do easier than pinching a loaf....and that is grabbing a cold, fresh beer out of the refrigerator. A frosty, clean glass requires only slightly more effort. So any place that can't do that is automatically "off the list." Now, on to entertainment. Billions of hours of free stuff on youtube and even custom radio stations on Pandora....at the volume you set. But, I am willing to pay up to double my cost of a beer, at a nice bar, that can do it with a touch of slutty class. That means anyplace charging more than 60 for a small Tiger is also off the list. Call me Cheap Charlie, if you prefer, but how about the Thai father's of the children, whose mothers work the LK bars? Or the Thai families that flock to the shopping malls on the weekends for the sole purpose of saving on their electric bill? Keep in mind that many of us have drank here for years at places that not only ticked the boxes, but were cheaper than 7-11. John's place used to be a lot of fun, and tick many boxes (cold, clean restrooms), but just how many thousand times can one listen to CCR's Bad Moon Risin'? And make no mistake about it; most of the deterioration occurred, when they got out of the bar girl business. So until, some places start cleaning up their staff, restrooms, and beer coolers; they will not be getting my business.

Yeah, "Charles sheep bar" sounds more like a Loi Kroh place, not Nimmanhamin.

You missed it as well Charles sheep sounds like Cheap Charlie (reversed).

Most Thai restaurants and eating places provide ice and water free of charge.

It's usually greedy overpriced foreigner restaurants that want paying for water.

You must be on a tight budget if you find that most Thai “restaurants” provide free water with ice (it’s mostly just the street kitchens, not the “real” restaurants nor the common food courts), and B) consider places that charge (often 10-20 baht) for water to be “greedy” and “overpriced”.

You’re probably a perfect example of what the above posts talk about.

Edited by WorkingTourist

I rarely stay up past midnight and should not be commenting on this thread. But if you are not posting in jest then you have miraculously taken over the #1 spot as the most retentive member of ThaiVisa, a honor that is not easy to attain given the many sociopathic posters here.

^^

Most Thai restaurants and eating places provide ice and water free of charge.

It's usually greedy overpriced foreigner restaurants that want paying for water.

What Ive found is that usually cups of water are free and bottled water costs money .

Ice in cups is free and buckets of ice cost money .

(Drinking Water in Thailand isnt free , it all has to be paid for . so that free water you get is paid for by the owner

Seriously? Wow. If ever a paragraph summed up everything that's wrong with the overtly cynical dimwits that frequent Thai visa forums, this is it. Instead of enjoying your night out,you stressed over whether your ice bucket was 100% full or 75% full. All in the name of saving a grand total of 5 baht. Thailand really does attract the absolute dregs of society.

Dude.. Check the sarcasm antenna.. Seems its a bit off..