bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

Of course we get pissed off because we have a healthy disrespect of propaganda. But the audience of locals does not yet question these cynical messages put out by "important people", who we know are always to be blindly respected. So all the locals will continue to believe that this is the happiness capital. Meanwhile tourists are discovering that Chiang Mai is in the hands of those who have one agenda, and that is to eliminate outsiders as fast as possible. They do not want the evil influence of outide tourists and "the alien" who lives here courtesy of the one year visa. Chiang Mai is gradually experiencing ethnic cleansing so that it can return to a dream of Lanna purity. Accept that, or become pissed of to an even greater degree.

That's classic paranoia, and looking at some of your previous comments I can only say that at least you are consistent. You don't seem to be too happy here, you seem to hold a very low view of the locals, and your views are getting more extreme. Quite surprising for someone that seems to have been here for so long.

I still haven't heard a convincing argument as to why Chiang Mai is being hammered by the alcohol police.

Well said!

I, as well, have noticed that the junta has a very difficult time providing convincing arguments as to why they do anything!

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. The owner of my favourite bar has been told that he can stay open for as long as he wants on the night of Dec31/Jan1. No extension over Xmas.

Which bar is that ?

The fact that he didn't mention the bar's name freely is perhaps a byproduct of "fear of the unknown" "fear of shifting ground"?

Junta Black Magic rolling across the tapestry of the North.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting for all the pushy/loud New Year's visitors to leave before patronizing the bars. I did go out NYE, and there were about 1/4 the usual number of hostesses. One thing that has become clear is that Thai businesses do not ramp up for potentially very busy holidays. It's more like it's when people shut down and take time off. Apparently, it's not a good time to have a medical emergency, either. CMU was out for a week or two, and that may explain the lack of talent/eye candy at the bars. Bye-Bye holiday revelers, hello uni-girls. I've got a Tiger promo scheduled for the next day or two....4 large for 200...I'll report back.

just digressing slightly,blar blar bar,closing on Saturday,moving to by dawang dang in a few months,lots of freebies sat night

I wasn't a regular, but they had a nice run, and seemed to know how to survive, Relatively cheap beer and pretties. To all the pretentious clowns, who insist on stale imports and no girls at 300 per beer, I say stick a Chang Bottle up your butt. Those bars have been having issues with the noise problems going back to the previous coup. I wonder how much longer Dayli will stay.....in both cases, the land is worth 100-200K per wah.

just digressing slightly,blar blar bar,closing on Saturday,moving to by dawang dang in a few months,lots of freebies sat night

I wasn't a regular, but they had a nice run, and seemed to know how to survive, Relatively cheap beer and pretties. To all the pretentious clowns, who insist on stale imports and no girls at 300 per beer, I say stick a Chang Bottle up your butt. Those bars have been having issues with the noise problems going back to the previous coup. I wonder how much longer Dayli will stay.....in both cases, the land is worth 100-200K per wah.

Once they've stuck a Chang bottle up their butt, what should they do next? I'm asking on behalf of a friend.

Once they've stuck a Chang bottle up their butt, what should they do next? I'm asking on behalf of a friend.

In many cases; they should likely warn their "partners."

In many cases; they should likely warn their "partners."

Just be sure to tell them not to do it at peak season as there won't be enough medical staff around to assist!

ye blar blar bar will reopen in a few months as just a restaurant,and the new blar blar bar will be the same as is,but no night club.propaly to do with new condo built next door,why moving to new pastures.?????

Last night at 23:30 witnessed on the corner of Loa Kroh and Kotchasan outside the large reopened music pub, Tuk Tuk arriving with 2 of the Changklan Kareoke girls who went about trying to entice guys to go back with them to their establishments which most of us have read about over the years.

They are telling tourists everywhere closes at 12 midnight and they can go with them to drink out late and party

It's obvious to some of us the score here, but not to tourists who end up being fleeced and or beaten. The girls are nothing like the regular 'falang bar beer' variety in appearance they are light skinned pretty sexy and dressed differently.

The other scam setup with this group of Tuk Tuk drivers in cahoots with certain 'authorities' is to sell Ganja to tourists who are subsequently apprehended then set up for exotortion with threat of jail etc.

If any of you sceptics do not believe this, go and see the show for yourselves and talk to the nearby bar owners who are helpless to do anything about it

I saw exactly the same scam with the Karaoke girls at Midnight, at the very top of Loi Kroh, near the moat, just a few weeks ago. I went home, someone I know was tempted but found when he got there he was taken to a Karaoke room at the back with almost no lights and when he asked the prices, a small beer was 350 baht! He left, cash intact.

Be warned everyone!

Good point Pat, if perhaps you even go into a place that doesn't have prices clearly posted, or menus readily available; simply asking the prices will prevent a lot of grief. If a restaurant doesn't have a menu to view at the front podium; something is amiss.

I saw exactly the same scam with the Karaoke girls at Midnight, at the very top of Loi Kroh, near the moat, just a few weeks ago. I went home, someone I know was tempted but found when he got there he was taken to a Karaoke room at the back with almost no lights and when he asked the prices, a small beer was 350 baht! He left, cash intact.

Be warned everyone!

Although I dont think that you can class that as being a scam because he was told of the prices in advance, straight up. Expensive, maybe, but not a scam

The girls are nothing like the regular 'falang bar beer' variety in appearance they are light skinned pretty sexy and dressed differently.

Wow, not much of a recommendation for the regular girls on Loy Khroh.

So the "regular 'farang bar beer' variety in appearance" are dark skinned, ugly, not sexy and dressed differently.

Anyone have photos of this strange breed?

The girls are nothing like the regular 'falang bar beer' variety in appearance they are light skinned pretty sexy and dressed differently.

Wow, not much of a recommendation for the regular girls on Loy Khroh.

So the "regular 'farang bar beer' variety in appearance" are dark skinned, ugly, not sexy and dressed differently.

Anyone have photos of this strange breed?

Yes I do. Many.

• 1 month later...

BUMP!

Any update on the bar situation in Chiang Mai? Still lights out at midnight? Clubs as well? (Warm Up, Infinity, Spicy) ?

Thanks a lot smile.png

Every place I like on Nimmanhamin stops selling at midnight, but at least they're no longer doing last call around 11:30 so they can be empty and locked up at midnight. I think the soi 6 bars on Nimman--including Infinity-- are open til 1, I'm not a fan but I hear music from that direction. A friend told me Warm-Up is open to 1 also, but I haven't verified, also not my kind of place.

I think the situation is similar in the old city and Santitham, but I'll let those with more current info report.

I drove past President Hotel last night, which used to house Fabrique, and it was strange to see it deserted at just after midnight. i can only assume they have closed. I noticed the police at Spicey, but whether or not they were closing it or collecting donations, I don't know. What is known as Jacky's van , next door has now got a net hiding it from the street, but a peek behind reveals that they are open. I also noticed a bar that was openly open in Moon Muang Soi 2 at about 1am a week or so ago. So, some relaxation, in that area, but not much.

I drove past President Hotel last night, which used to house Fabrique, and it was strange to see it deserted at just after midnight. i can only assume they have closed. I noticed the police at Spicey, but whether or not they were closing it or collecting donations, I don't know. What is known as Jacky's van , next door has now got a net hiding it from the street, but a peek behind reveals that they are open. I also noticed a bar that was openly open in Moon Muang Soi 2 at about 1am a week or so ago. So, some relaxation, in that area, but not much.

Although those named bars will now probably be getting a visit very soon

I think you read too many comics.

And you dont know that the authorities monitor this site ?

And you dont know that the authorities monitor this site ?

I suspect that the BIB get their "intelligence" info from a lot more sources than TV.

Their ‘T cash’ sources and their extended family will provide all they need to know out with their formal procedures! .

If Chiengmaijoe can drive past and gather the info, I am sure the BIB can do the same as part of their job. Chiengmaijoe is just making an observation which anyone could also do with half an eye open.

Archived