Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

I've tried my Thai driving licence and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I thought a tambien baan would also allow you access at Thai prices, but in truth, at the moment, I can't be bothered to jump through all the hoops to get one. So, the facts of the matter are that when we are asked to pay the 'farang' price we either pay or we don't visit. A simple choice at the moment, which, although unfair, is a fact of life here in Thailand. In general terms, although maybe not in the case in question, I bet if you spoke fluent Thai you would get a much more favourable response on production of your Thai driving licence, but unfortunately that is beyond me at the moment.

Sadly, Mikosan, it used to be the case that if you spoke Thai, you did get a favourable response, but then again, 7-8 years ago, when I would get off a bus in Phang Nga and speak Thai, I'd immediately be invited to someone's house to drink whiskey, whereas these days I just get a look that says, "he's useless, he lives here and we can't rip him off."

What I would like to see here is parks tariffed according to their merits. In Costa Rica you pay more for the national parks as a foreigner, but they are worth every single dollar, and nobody walks out of those parks complaining because they are well managed and you feel like you got something for your money.

Here, Khao Sok, especially out on the lake, used to be magnificent. So did Khao Yai if you could get into the jungle. Koh Tarutao is beautiful, and most folks used to love Koh Similan and Surin (before the speedboats carting thousands of Russian day-trippers began to mar them). The big parks might be well worth 400 baht, but they now do this with every single little green space, and most of the places have become rubbish dumps with few trails, facilities, or any kind of explanations for tourists. So where is the tourist money going? It certainly isn't going towards maintaining the parks and making them an excellent tourist attraction. I used to enjoy going back to places like Sam Roi Yod or Erawan, but I now refuse to pay, as I feel they are just rip offs.

Unfortunately, one can't really plan a national park trip here, make the time, expense of travel, etc, get to the middle of nowhere, and then be told that a Thai drivers license, work permit, or other is no longer acceptable, that one has to be Thai...and thus then turn around and go home.

When I went to the Emerald Pool this year, I got my wandering around the park in, photography, went for a swim, went early ahead of the masses that they bus in from Krabi and Phuket, and left, and I will never ever go back. From a business point of view, it's horrible business, getting once only customers, but unfortunately there are a lot of places here that operate under such premises.

• Like 2

Disneyland in Anaheim, California does (or used to) charge Southern California zip codes less. You just had to show them your California ID card or drivers license. It really does happen everywhere. Quit picking on Thais.

It certainly does not happen anywhere in the UK... but don't worry we have learned to make exceptions for Americans' lack of knowledge of anything outside of the USA.

• Like 1

So, by this, TV is declaring the difference between the cost of admission in the 2-tiered system to be massive.

The word massively is being used to clarify for people that 1 person (farrang) is paying the same as 10 Thai persons, you don't call that massively then I suggest you start to learn the meaning of words.

• Like 1

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

You think it is ok to rip off tourists? I would love you to come to my country and be told you have to pay 10 times the price of a local. The only reason this story has been reported is because it happened to a Thai. A reality check is called for

Tourists and expats are told they are guests in Thailand,is this how you treat guests.

• Like 1

Most punters here cannot respectfully pay their way in their country of origin.

I don't respect my home country, and I respect Thailand even less.

Bunch of corrupt & ignorant racists.

What exactly is there to respect?

Go for your life pal because obviously no-one can respect you.

You are probably too old to address your issues so what can i say but 'keep digging'. Others will have to repair the damage that attitude creates after you have gone.

So bang on for now..... or better play some where dangerous

It is not racist. No definition of racism can be applied in this case.

It's the business of tourism.

Elvira it's true isn't it.. you really really don't get it

I assure you that Elvira and I "get it".

It being the overuse and wrong use of racism and that it is often racists that perpetuate the problem.

Tourism = business = money. Businesses will charge as much as they can for whatever service they provide and often have dual pricing.

Those getting uptight about dual pricing are welcome to their opinions and choice not to pay, but linking it to racism is just wrong!

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Dual pricing happens in many countries. In the UK adults pay more than OAP's and kids to enter many places. And sometimes locals get discounts.

BULLSHIT. Why stick up for the blatant rip offs in this country, you are always doing it >>>> Are you Thai?coffee1.gif

Double bullshit, since when does a poor farrang get any discount in Thailand, yeez, some people!

UK~English, ne pas?

It being the overuse and wrong use of racism and that it is often racists that perpetuate the problem.

Tourism = business = money. Businesses will charge as much as they can for whatever service they provide and often have dual pricing.

Those getting up tight about dual pricing are welcome to their opinions and choice not to pay, but linking it to racism is just wrong!

The OP's problem was that, pure and simple racism, that's how this thread started. Why does some people try to change the facts?

Wake up mate. It is not only tourists who visit these places, many of us living here are on pensions. About 6 yrs ago i went to a national park near Mukdahan with 4 Thais, they were allowed in free, but i had to pay. I was not really interested, so i stayed in the car. They were back within 15 mins that's how interesting it was. rolleyes.gif

And you can't spare 200/400 baht from your 65,000 baht per month income!

Once again you need to be told,it's not about the money,it's the priciple,something you obviosly know nothing about.

• Like 2

Those getting up tight about dual pricing are welcome to their opinions and choice not to pay, but linking it to racism is just wrong!

The OP's problem was that, pure and simple racism, that's how this thread started. Why does some people try to change the facts?

If it was about money they would be hitting rich Thai's up and being shot on the spot.

• Like 2

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Dual pricing happens in many countries. In the UK adults pay more than OAP's and kids to enter many places. And sometimes locals get discounts.

BULLSHIT. Why stick up for the blatant rip offs in this country, you are always doing it >>>> Are you Thai?coffee1.gif

Double bullshit, since when does a poor farrang get any discount in Thailand, yeez, some people!

Poor Farang shouldn't be here in the first place. But my comment was sarcasm due to the ridiculous suggestion made by Thian.

Interesting that the article makes no mention of racist claims by either the writer or Thai man.

Disneyland in Anaheim, California does (or used to) charge Southern California zip codes less. You just had to show them your California ID card or drivers license. It really does happen everywhere. Quit picking on Thais.

But did they charge more for black people? Or do white people pay more.

You have to know, this isn't about zip codes, this is about not being 100% Thai, and Thais consider themselves to be supreme beings with special powers, like anyone who dies can become a ghost, or dreaming about lucky numbers before a drawing or see a number on a toads belly so they can bet on that.

We don't know diddly squat according to them and they think we are morons, sadly I have to agree with them, they are going to the bank laughing their heads off because of us.

• Like 1

Wake up mate. It is not only tourists who visit these places, many of us living here are on pensions. About 6 yrs ago i went to a national park near Mukdahan with 4 Thais, they were allowed in free, but i had to pay. I was not really interested, so i stayed in the car. They were back within 15 mins that's how interesting it was. rolleyes.gif

And you can't spare 200/400 baht from your 65,000 baht per month income!
Once again you need to be told,it's not about the money,it's the priciple,something you obviosly know nothing about.

"many of us living here are on pensions"

Don't tell me. Tell the old retired sailor. He made it about money!

There is a lot to respect in Thailand; I don't think it's possible to explain it to you any more than I could explain colours to a blind man.

Still haven't got an answer to my question - what has made you such a miserable human being? I used to think I was cynical; however, you are gold medal in the Olympics for negativity. Why are you still here?

• Like 1

Poor Farang shouldn't be here in the first place. But my comment was sarcasm due to the ridiculous suggestion made by Thian.

What do you have against poor Thais visiting Paris? And please, don't continue the next sentence like above if you want us to catch your sarcasm, dude.

The 'dual' pricing you mention would also apply to Thai visitors to the UK. However, you miss the point. We are talking about Racism. This is a racist country. Period.

• Like 1

The farang fee is bulls#it. Shame on Thai Gov. How would a Thai feel if they came to the US and were charged 10 x (250 USD) to enter a National Park. Time to bury this burden on visitors, residents and others.

Let's open this up. Under UCI (International cycling body) rules, the Thai Cycling Association MUST issue race licences to foreign riders who live in Thailand. This year they decided that they would charge foreigners 10 x the Thai price. Under the UCI/Olympic Constitutions - to which the Thai Cycling Assoc is a signatory, all athletes must be treated equally. Therefore the 10 x price breaches the equality regulations of both the UCI and the Olympic Committee. I am working hard to get the Thai Cycling Association to change their policy or get excluded from the Olympic/world cycling movements. Fed up of racism everywhere I look. Now I know what the poor blacks felt like in the southern states.

• Like 1

There is a lot to respect in Thailand; I don't think it's possible to explain it to you any more than I could explain colours to a blind man.

Still haven't got an answer to my question - what has made you such a miserable human being? I used to think I was cynical; however, you are gold medal in the Olympics for negativity. Why are you still here?

Amazing isn't??!!

Unfortunately there are a lot of western refugees in Thailand, socially retarded individuals mostly fleeing normal relations in every sense. This site becomes a social pathway for their idea of normalcy by venting rubbish.

So, by this, TV is declaring the difference between the cost of admission in the 2-tiered system to be massive.

well i think its kinda funny , that's only 5.56 usd . like the zoo here in chiang mai . well in the states you pay way more than that for the zoo or a movie for that matter . so i don't think that's to bad ,other country's do the same . russia that i know of ,as well as egypt , just to name two.

What do you have against poor Thais visiting Paris? And please, don't continue the next sentence like above if you want us to catch your sarcasm, dude.

I wasn't aware I had anything against "poor Thais visiting Paris". In fact I'm championing for a discount, dude!