Advice: Health or Accident Insurance

Expecting the unexpected? There are many different ways to prepare in advance for unplanned events and happenings. Quite frankly, adequate preparation for both scenarios is essential, and protection can start from just a few baht per day.

Some companies appear to roll accident and health insurance into one category. Or do they? The buyer must check carefully, and clearly understand the difference between medical insurance and health insurance before committing themselves.

Personal accident Insurance provides cover in the event of the insured sustaining bodily injuries resulting solely and directly from an accident caused by external, violent and visible means, resulting in death or disablement. Accident insurance should never be used to replace a health insurance plan, though it might work nicely as a supplemental form of coverage.

Health insurance, on the other hand, provides coverage for medical bills, prescription drugs, illness etc. and the money is paid out to the medical provider rather than directly to the insured. Health insurance typically provides much broader coverage than accident insurance and, of course, is not limited only to accidents.

For expatriates the cost of caring for your health can be very costly if not carefully thought out and planned.

Choosing the right health insurance plan can be frustrating and hard to understand. Sourcing relevant policy information is a laborious task, and of course one has to compare policies and examine the small print, which can be tough. Pre-existing conditions and underwriting terminology, combined with other insurance jargon and going through benefit tables littered with medical terminology can also be difficult.

Do you think that your health insurance is out of your range? No it isn't, there are many ways to reduce your premiums, while having cover, which we will cover in our next post.

For example, for those planning to retire in Thailand, it may make sense to consider a policy with lower coverage value, you know you can afford. The limits reflect cheaper healthcare costs in Thailand, but need to be sufficient to ensure any major happenings are fully covered, plus the benefit of worldwide coverage when overseas. You may also consider paying the first XXX amount and substantially reduce your premium.

Pacific Cross Health Insurance offer two clearly defined, separate categories. The Lifestyle range of health insurance, offering differing levels of affordable cover, and Personal Accident insurance.

To the OP as a suggestion and for information. Your Lifestyle Series health insurance was one of several recommended to me by a broker. Trying to do due diligence I could not find your Ts and Cs on your site so emailed you at the address given on one of your brochures. This was on 29th September and I have still yet to receive a reply.......

I was able to get a copy of the Ts and Cs from the broker but I am surprised they were not available on your site (or not that I could find).

I also asked if the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer was In or Out patient?

I see from the Ts and Cs cancer is not covered for first 120 days and Chemo is included in Out patient but Chemo may not be required.

To the OP as a suggestion and for information. Your Lifestyle Series health insurance was one of several recommended to me by a broker. Trying to do due diligence I could not find your Ts and Cs on your site so emailed you at the address given on one of your brochures. This was on 29th September and I have still yet to receive a reply.......

I was able to get a copy of the Ts and Cs from the broker but I am surprised they were not available on your site (or not that I could find).

I also asked if the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer was In or Out patient?

I see from the Ts and Cs cancer is not covered for first 120 days and Chemo is included in Out patient but Chemo may not be required.

After speaking to those concerned, there was a reply by email on the same day. It may have gone into your junk folder.

Please contact [email protected] for further discussion or call Pacific Cross at +66 2 401 9189

Greg is very helpful and straight forward.

Well, OP is a sponsor.

You can get a free accident insurance with some bank accounts.

Like UOB vCare, which gives you cover for 10x of the actual balance up to a maximum of 10mTHB.

The value of the plan depends on what you are covered for. Please read the fine print as there maybe exclusions. Also look at whether they pay the hospital or whether you must pay up front and claim back.

as ever, a few comparisons will prove the worth.

After speaking to those concerned, there was a reply by email on the same day. It may have gone into your junk folder.

Please contact [email protected] for further discussion or call Pacific Cross at +66 2 401 9189

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately I have not received a mail in any of my folders but did receive replies from other companies on that day. Sometimes technology just lets us down smile.png

I would be interested, as I would have thought may other viewers, if there is a reason for the lack of Ts and Cs and my other question is very general so not sure why you cannot respond to it on here?

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately I have not received a mail in any of my folders but did receive replies from other companies on that day. Sometimes technology just lets us down smile.png

I would be interested, as I would have thought may other viewers, if there is a reason for the lack of Ts and Cs and my other question is very general so not sure why you cannot respond to it on here?

Not to worry, I am sure our broker provided all the information you needed, as you mentioned.

Everyone's circumstances and health condition is different so we would not publish here. On Thai Visa we believe we are providing some helpful information on health insurance which could be used to evaluate any health insurance provider. T&C change over time due to Thailand's regulatory requirements (we are one of the few Thai registered Health insurance providers) so it could also be seen as being inaccurate after a period of time. It is always better to speak to a broker or direct to Pacific Cross, so that the most up to date information is provided.

All policies are on our website in English and Thai at http://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/lifestyle-health-downloads/

I hope this answers to a satisfactory level. If you require specific information please contact the above number.