Non imm o renewal or extension

I am on my third non imm o based on marriage which expires January 2016.

In the past getting a new non imm o annually wasn't a problem as I was frequently returning to Australia. Since I am no longer travelling back and forth is it worth applying for an extension, using an agent as I am in CM, or going to the expense of returning to Australia to get another non imm o?

Of course the 90 day run vs 90 day reporting is a consideration as well. What are the pro's and cons?

Please no BS artists.

thanks in advance for the advice.

I have done 8 extensions based upon marriage. Much better than doing border hops every 90 days.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the extension. You cam apply for it during the 30 days of any 90 day entries from your visa.

If you want another multiple entry non-o you can get one at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof needed.

I have done 8 extensions based upon marriage. Much better than doing border hops every 90 days.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the extension. You cam apply for it during the 30 days of any 90 day entries from your visa.

If you want another multiple entry non-o you can get one at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof needed.

For 3rd,4th etc extensions, money in bank for 2 or 3 months before application? Many thanks.

I think an extension of stay is well worth going for but you really don't need an agent. The application process is fairly straightforward.

You can get re-entry permits that allow you to exit and re-enter whilst keeping your stay alive. Single re-entry is 1,000 baht, Multi re-entry is 3,800 baht. So you can come and go as much as you like.

90 day reports can be done online or by post if you don't want to report in person so shouldn't be a concern. You can even pay someone else to do the report for you.

If you continue with the multi entry visa you can extend each of your 90 day stays by 60 days (1,900 baht) as you are married. This means it's only necessary to do a border hop every 5 months.

If you can meet the requirements I would recommend a 1 year extension of stay.

Edited by elviajero

I think an extension of stay is well worth going for but you really don't need an agent. The application process is fairly straightforward.

You can get re-entry permits that allow you to exit and re-enter whilst keeping your stay alive. Single re-entry is 1,000 baht, Multi re-entry is 3,800 baht. So you can come and go as much as you like.

90 day reports can be done online or by post if you don't want to report in person so shouldn't be a concern. You can even pay someone else to do the report for you.

If you continue with the multi entry visa you can extend each of your 90 day stays by 60 days (1,900 baht) as you are married. This means it's only necessary to do a border hop every 5 months.

If you can meet the requirements I would recommend a 1 year extension of stay.

Thanks all for the info. Just one other ??. How long in advance can I apply for an extension?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my recent experience with non-imm O extension based on marriage, in the hopes that I may save others some headaches. I've done this in BKK for about 3-4 years with no problems in the past, but this year was much more difficult, and the immigration officer heaped on some additional requirements at her discretion. Now, she was an absolute war-pig to deal with, and it's possible this was a one-off thing because she was in a bad mood, but she absolutely would not relent until I was able to present the following, which took a total of 3 separate trips down to Immigration:

1) ID card and house registration (tabian baan) of the owner of the condo unit which I am renting. The contract was not good enough, and she demanded to have signed copies of ID card and tabian baan.

2) Income and tax information from my employer. This in itself was not a problem to obtain, but the immigration officer raised a huge stink over how some of the values on the tax forms didn't add up to the monthly salary. I tried to explain that this was due to additional bonuses, tax deductions, and a change in salary part-way through the year, but it was extremely difficult to convince her of why the income earned according to the PND91 did not EXACTLY match my monthly salary multiplied by 12. Frustrating.

3) Photos of me at work in the office. Note that this was for an extension based on marriage, not based on working in Thailand. Despite that, and despite me pointing out that this was not a requirement for extension based on marriage, she demanded it. Also of interest is that she demanded this on my second visit to the immigration office. No idea why she didn't raise it the first time, but it further supports that she was just on a mission to deny me, and hopefully this is not a new standard.

As always in Thailand, the rules are subjective, so be prepared!