Chinese tourist dies after Phuket snorkelling trip

webfact

Chinese tourist dies after Phuket snorkelling trip
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Chinese tourist has died after choking violently underwater while snorkelling with friends off Koh Khai island, in Phang Nga Bay, north of Phuket, yesterday afternoon (Oct 6).

Police were called to PNT Pier in Rassada at 5pm.

“We found no signs of foul play or injury on the body and we were told that the victim either drowned or died from choking on water, but doctors will examine the body and determine the cause of death,” said Lt Somchay Nooboon of the Phuket City Police.

“We were told that the victim and his friends were snorkelling at Koh Khai in Phang Nga province. The victim went to check out coral and started choking violently underwater,” he said.

“His friends and staff pulled him up to the speedboat and hoped to get him to hospital in time, but apparently he died while en route back to Phuket.”

Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers transported the body of the 32-year-old Chinese tourist to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

The victim’s name is being withheld until the embassy and the family has been notified.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-dies-after-phuket-snorkelling-trip-54432.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-07

Again? Way too many have died on these snorkeling trips, but nothing changes to improve tourist's safety. Phuket has lost much of it's tourist base, now about all that's left are the Chinese and the Thais still don't seem to care. RIP young man, on the trip of your life, that was cut way too short.

Edited by Jimi007

What I have heard is that most Chinese are not able to swim just like most Thais. But still they like beach holidays and like to play in the water. I have lost 3 students(2 in M2 and 1 in M6) in drowning accidents during the last 3 years. The water level in the klong where the M2 students died was so shallow so I could walk across, I didn't even need to swim!

Edited by Kasset Tak

A basic snorkeling instruction is, "Don't inhale under water.". If you do, you choke on the inhaled water.

I wonder if any tourist who goes snorkeling in Thailand even receives that basic instruction?

I can just hear the boat captain now. CPR? What that?

Never forget in Thailand, "Cavete emptor.".

A basic snorkeling instruction is, "Don't inhale under water.". If you do, you choke on the inhaled water.

I wonder if any tourist who goes snorkeling in Thailand even receives that basic instruction?

The nice thing about snorkeling is that one can inhale while under water.

not 5 meters under water

Assuming the top of the snorkel tube is above water ... whistling.gif

Most Chinese and Japs are utterly useless when put into water. Not really saying they were if left on dry land... Both nationalities, at the same time, carry the biggest guilt on slaughtering and poaching endangered species and pushing the whale and dolphin populations to the brink of extinction. They should not be allowed in marine or nature parks worldwide until they altogether stop shark finning, tiger penis soup eating, etc. One drowned? Good! thumbsup.gif

Edited by MockingJay

If Chinese tourists take as much care snorkeling as they do riding rental motorbikes, then..............

To which you can include those with brain disabilities, who stand in the middle of busy intersections, taking photos!

They are oblivious to the traffic trying to edge around them while they stare into their phone cameras.

If they did this in China, it would solve the overpopulation problem, but they shouldn't need common sense to be spelled out for them.