Need some help finding a teaching position job in Lampang

shane

Hi, Im arriving in Thailand on 20 October this year and would like to work in Lampang or somewhere relatively close.

I taught English in BKK for three years early 2000's and also one year in S.Korea mid 2000's

I have been speaking with a few teacher placement agencies on line, but i can't find one that has schools in Lampang. I have considered just turning up at schools there and applying in person, however, if its possible to find a job or potential job before i arrive that would makes things a lot easier.

If I'm unable to find a suitable job, I will just spend 4 to 11 months traveling and taking an extended vacation.

In anticipation of some possible questions, here are some answers.

1. Why Lampang? I have a 7 year old daughter that is coming with me, but she will be going to stay with her mum in a small town in Lampang and i would like to be near her. My daughter will be staying in Thailand for one school year starting on November 2. (start of school term)

2. Do you have a degree? I do not have a degree, only a T.E.S.O.L and four years teaching experience.

3. What visa do you have? I will be arriving on a 2x 60 day tourist visa with option to renew for one extra month. In the PAST i have had a one year parent visa and i also had a work permit for one year that i obtained by being hired as a language adviser by a company in Bangkok. The other years i lived there i did the border runs.

4. Where are you from? Im a 33 year old Australian.

I appreciate any help or ideas on what i could do.

Shane ขอบคุฌมากนะครับ

Edited by shane

Aussies are preferred. Their English pronunciation is so English.

I would personally make an appointment at the school/s; appropriately attired; CV; documentary of education; experience & visa situation.

You cannot smile too much, Digger.

Have you considered going to Lampang to look for work?

Nobody can predict accurately what will happen when you look for work?

All things are possible in the land of make believe.

PS

Most schools regard 'aussies' as non native speakers

Edited by Loaded

Hi, Im arriving in Thailand on 20 October this year and would like to work in Lampang or somewhere relatively close.

If I were you, I’d be here a few days earlier, because many schools start their 2nd semester end of October, or on the 2nd of November.

I taught English in BKK for three years early 2000's and also one year in S.Korea mid 2000's

I have been speaking with a few teacher placement agencies on line, but i can't find one that has schools in Lampang. I have considered just turning up at schools there and applying in person, however, if its possible to find a job or potential job before i arrive that would makes things a lot easier.

Not important if you were using the program Line, or if you spoke online to them.

If I'm unable to find a suitable job, I will just spend 4 to 11 months traveling and taking an extended vacation.

You should change your attitude immediately and start to think positive.There’ll be plenty of teaching jobs available. I guarantee you.

In anticipation of some possible questions, here are some answers.

1. Why Lampang? I have a 7 year old daughter that is coming with me, but she will be going to stay with her mum in a small town in Lampang and i would like to be near her. My daughter will be staying in Thailand for one school year starting on November 2. (start of school term)

1. Have you already tried to contact the school, where your daughter will attend? Would be practical for you and her, don’t you think?

2. Do you have a degree? I do not have a degree, only a T.E.S.O.L and four years teaching experience.

2. Deepening on the province, you could slip through as a trainer, or a teacher’s assistant, or similar.

3. What visa do you have? I will be arriving on a 2x 60 day tourist visa with option to renew for one extra month. In the PAST i have had a one year parent visa and i also had a work permit for one year that i obtained by being hired as a language adviser by a company in Bangkok. The other years i lived there i did the border runs.

3. You shouldn’t work for a longer period of time on a tourist visa. I know that so many others are doing it, but if they jump off a Condo, I guess you wouldn’t follow, without your gf’s help, would you?

That's relatively easy. Once the school’s okay that you’ll be a trainer, or an astronaut, and the educational area xx office agrees, you’re good to go. If you have the title “trainer” in your work permit, you’ll bypass the whole Khurusapha Muppet show theater.

You’ll have a real work permit, pay into the Thai SS insurance and after three months, you’ll get your card.

Once you’ve got this card by paying in 750 baht/month, (your employer as well) you could even continue having a very cheap full coverage insurance by paying in 438 baht/month.( Should you lose your job and you'd like to continue staying here with your daughter..)

Don’t work for any of these agency sharks, ( they seem to reproduce faster than rabbits, these days) or people who lie about everything, tell you that you’ll get a salary of xxx baht, plus house allowance, etc. That’s all bullshit, in 85.346 % of all cases. Or less. Or both.

4. Where are you from? Im a 33 year old Australian.

4. Can you hop and make sounds like a pregnant kangaroo? If yes, your chances are great, maybe even lovely. ( Quite impressive for the young ones..)

I appreciate any help or ideas on what i could do.

Guess we all appreciate some good ideas from time to time. If I were you, I’d create a very good resume without mistakes, go to the preferred area from school to school and show your face. Tell them that you’ve made plenty of seminars for Aborigines teachers.

Be well dressed when you go from school to school, print some sets of your resume out and you’ll be surprised how fast you’ll have a job. Look for a one year contract with Thai SS, paid holidays and try to ask some nearby foreigners some stupid questions about the school.

If you have the chance to meet one foreign teacher for a beer after school, make him/ her drunk and you’ll hear the truth. ( Great advice from my grandma)

The edge of the Gujarati Chamak. facepalm.gif

Guess that’s your Thai writing at the end. Do you like the taste, or smell of some good hand rolled Gujarati, or just the procedure? However, best of luck finding a good job and I truly hope you can stay with your daughter every day. Cheers.- thumbsup.gif

P.S. The teaching scene has changed a lot in the last couple of years. You'll be surprised......

These days, nothing seems to be as easy as it was when you taught. so many moons ago.. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Hello,

It depends upon the school if you can teach in Thailand without a degree, I'd say.

I know one Englishman who's been teaching in a local school in my town for years without a degree.

On the other hand, I met an English woman at the teachers' meeting a few months ago, who had just

started to teach in a government school here. Yesterday I met a Thai teacher from that government

school for Sport Day, who said that she had gone already because she wasn't able to apply for a

Non-B for teaching.

Again, it depends upon the school.

Good luck.

Hello,

It depends upon the school if you can teach in Thailand without a degree, I'd say.

I know one Englishman who's been teaching in a local school in my town for years without a degree.

On the other hand, I met an English woman at the teachers' meeting a few months ago, who had just

started to teach in a government school here. Yesterday I met a Thai teacher from that government

school for Sport Day, who said that she had gone already because she wasn't able to apply for a

Non-B for teaching.

Good luck.

It does not depend on the school. It depends on, firstly, the teachers' council. Then onto immigration and labour department.

"You’ll have a real work permit, pay into the Thai SS insurance and after three months, you’ll get your card."

"Once you’ve got this card by paying in 750 baht/month, (your employer as well) you could even continue having a very cheap full coverage insurance by paying in 438 baht/month.( Should you lose your job and you'd like to continue staying here with your daughter..)"

A little misleading, I think.

Not every job will be eligible for SS. That could be an important thing to be clear about when looking for work.

You will only get to continue in the program on your own after you are paying into the system for 12 months.

L-i-a, I know you know these minor things, but the OP probably doesn't.

Terry

Hello,

Non-B for teaching.

Good luck.

It does not depend on the school. It depends on, firstly, the teachers' council. Then onto immigration and labour department.

So this Englishman, who's been living here on a Non-O, must be an exception.

There is no rule without exceptions.