Savannakhet refusing Double Entry Tourist Visas to those with two or more already.

Joe Reality you would have to expect something like this to happen sooner or later.

You are not happy getting only 2 double entries whereas you don't even get one in Phnom Penh

And at least in Savannakhet they're not saying they will deny you further visas outright after the first 2 which I think you should be grateful for.

Even with these changes Savannakhet are still generous compared to many of the other embassies and consulates in this region.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

The Manic,

For me personally I doubt it will be a problem.

However, there will be a significant amount of foreigners affected by this who can not print out a bank statement to verify their funds. Thousands of English teachers, for example, fall into that category... which would be catastrophic for the already severely lacking level of English instruction in Thailand... which impacts strongly upon Thai students.

For that reason, and for the reason that often there are crackdowns which soon blow over, I would doubt it will stay that way. That place has been the last place available for those in the know for some time now, and in such an informal economy it seems that it has been a bit of a nod and a wink approach - as is often seen in Thailand.

It's a bit different than Vientiane's policy, as there you would get no further tourist visa at all after two double entry tourist visas. In Savannakhet they are still offering single entry tourist visas... which makes it look like either a money grab (foreigners will have to spend more in Thailand in expenses to go the extra distance from BKK - where most foreigners are based) ... or a crackdown where the local officials are still trying to leave a bit of a common sense loophole to the ill thought out higher up's change in policy.

Asiantravel,

Happy or unhappy, grateful or ungrateful... it is irrelevant. Luckily I am both happy and grateful with everything in life though. I'm quite sure I didn't say otherwise. The point of the original post is simply to let others know who may need to be informed so that they are better off as a result.

There are many good people who will be negatively affected unless this is a short term thing and things go back to normal soon. It could have a serious impact on education, among other things, in the kingdom. Let's hope reason will prevail.

Edited by Joe Reality
  • Like 2

The Manic,

For me personally I doubt it will be a problem.

However, there will be a significant amount of foreigners affected by this who can not print out a bank statement to verify their funds. Thousands of English teachers, for example, fall into that category... which would be catastrophic for the already severely lacking level of English instruction in Thailand... which impacts strongly upon Thai students.

For that reason, and for the reason that often there are crackdowns which soon blow over, I would doubt it will stay that way. That place has been the last place available for those in the know for some time now, and in such an informal economy it seems that it has been a bit of a nod and a wink approach - as is often seen in Thailand.

It's a bit different than Vientiane's policy, as there you would get no further tourist visa at all after two double entry tourist visas. In Savannakhet they are still offering single entry tourist visas... which makes it look like either a money grab (foreigners will have to spend more in Thailand in expenses to go the extra distance from BKK - where most foreigners are based) ... or a crackdown where the local officials are still trying to leave a bit of a common sense loophole to the ill thought out higher up's change in policy.

Asiantravel,

Happy or unhappy, grateful or ungrateful... it is irrelevant. Luckily I am both happy and grateful with everything in life though. I'm quite sure I didn't say otherwise. The point of the original post is simply to let others know who may need to be informed so that they are better off as a result.

There are many good people who will be negatively affected unless this is a short term thing and things go back to normal soon. It could have a serious impact on education, among other things, in the kingdom. Let's hope reason will prevail.

"unless this is a short term thing and things go back to normal soon "

there was some speculation in another thread that was never rebutted by anyone that when the final details of the new 6 month visa are announced ( on or close to 13 November) it will be discovered the double entry visa will be phased out. I don't know we have to wait and see but maybe things will never go back to" normal "

So print out a copy of your bank statement. What's the problem? Always have a evidence of financial security when using multi tourist visas.

Actually thats a myth, we have 2 different members reporting here that Vientiane refuses to even look at bank statements previously required and still refuses to grant tourist visas.

Agent we use for Suvannakhet has said Laotian's are being refused tourist visa's. No visa's for about 3 months.

As such wife has to come in on an exemption stamp & hope no problems with an extension on that.

Was wondering how it was going to go for "well to do tourists".

Bloody mess.

Agent we use for Suvannakhet has said Laotian's are being refused tourist visa's. No visa's for about 3 months.

As such wife has to come in on an exemption stamp & hope no problems with an extension on that.

Bloody mess.

I think you should check with the consulate yourself about the tourist visa. I have seen nothing about Laotians not being able to get a tourist visa.

The exempt entry a Laotian gets is from bi lateral agreement and it does not qualify for the 30 day extension.

• Like 1

I'm going to Savannaket on Monday for a Non O.

Last month my wife changed her christian name. ID card, house book and her passport has new name. Marriage cert old name. I guess that if I take a copy and the original of the name change certificate then that will be OK?

Edited by puchooay

"unless this is a short term thing and things go back to normal soon "

there was some speculation in another thread that was never rebutted by anyone that when the final details of the new 6 month visa are announced ( on or close to 13 November) it will be discovered the double entry visa will be phased out. I don't know we have to wait and see but maybe things will never go back to" normal "

Some Thai embassies in europe already announced the phase out of 2 or 3 entry visa.

From 13 November on only single entry or the new 6 month visa is available.

As said already this has been going on for years at the Vientiane embassy so it's probably and rightly here to stay at Suvannakhet too.

Three double entry tourist visas gives someone up to 18 months without having to prove income. It's perfectly reasonable for embassies and consulates to ask for proof that the applicant can afford to fund their stay, without needing to work, after such a long time in-country as a tourist.

If that was true, they would warn people in advance and make an announcement about new requirements like they do in Bali,

Instead they take you by surprise and make you come and get a single instead, with the excuse that they "need bank statements",but no one has ever reported having been approved by Vientiane after provided ad hoc documents, furthermore, several reports have said Vientiane still refuses to grant visa even been presented with proof of income.

So it is indeed a direct attack on budget long term stayers, working or not.

So print out a copy of your bank statement. What's the problem? Always have a evidence of financial security when using multi tourist visas.

Actually thats a myth, we have 2 different members reporting here that Vientiane refuses to even look at bank statements previously required and still refuses to grant tourist visas.

Unlikely a myth just because they didn't allow at Vientenne.

They specifically requested funds be shown at savannakhet for this guy. So show some money. Are you broke? Just go to the ATM and withdraw 20k or so and show them.

I'm going to Savannaket on Monday for a Non O.

Last month my wife changed her christian name. ID card, house book and her passport has new name. Marriage cert old name. I guess that if I take a copy and the original of the name change certificate then that will be OK?

If she changed it to your family name the name change certificate should not be needed. Otherwise it would be wise to take it with you.

• Like 1

Bloody mess.

I think you should check with the consulate yourself about the tourist visa. I have seen nothing about Laotians not being able to get a tourist visa.

The exempt entry a Laotian gets is from bi lateral agreement and it does not qualify for the 30 day extension.

Thanks Joe.

She's not long returned home from UK & I've stayed on to watch the Rugby, so I'm not in the country to see for myself.

But the agent we use is quite close to the consulate, as most of the time we just drop our passport/papers in & she'll pick them up then send them home to us on songthaew.

I've only seen her doing applications for Lao people, can't read or write English or Thai, maybe nor Lao, so good indication she'd have a feel of what's going on. The wife knew her before we'd met.

But might just take your advice & tell her to get down there & see for herself.

Thanks for clearing up the exemption extension, no visa, no extension that puts another twist on it. Might just go for a wander round Vietnam.

If you can not support yourself here in Thailand perhaps you should go home and work. Or would you prefer begging on the streets of Thailand like so many foreign bums have chosen to do. One Canadian where i live has been here for years penniless. I wish the government would toss his ass out. Makes us all look bad. Don,t get involved with bar or massage girls , don,t drink booze non stop, learn to speak some basic Thai , eat Thai food, instead of foreign crap and perhaps you can save some money. My wish is the Thai government would really crack down on dodgy foreigners and get them to leave.

• Like 1

I am sorry for being confused!

I am now on my 2nd consecutive double entry tourist visa from Vientiene, I wish to go for my 3rd in January.

Will it still be a problem getting a 3rd double entry visa in Vientiene if I can show proof of funds (cash in hand and bank statement of money abroad)?

Many thanks

I am sorry for being confused!

I am now on my 2nd consecutive double entry tourist visa from Vientiene, I wish to go for my 3rd in January.

Will it still be a problem getting a 3rd double entry visa in Vientiene if I can show proof of funds (cash in hand and bank statement of money abroad)?

Many thanks

I would certainly take some financial proof with you.

I think people that tried to show a bank statement that had problems was because the consular officer could not understand them. For sure if not in English it would need to be translated to Thai,

The best proof is a Thai bank book showing transfers in from outside the country.

• Like 1

Never had any problem with the double entry visas from VTN. But after reading comments from above, i will defo be taking bank statements and have cash in hand ready to show if asked for them.