the large white female buddha in HPK, north of downtown

boomerangutang

I think the statue is named Guan Yin. I walked in and, though it's still under construction, hiked up to the top, 16 stories (average 5 meters each). There are 2 elevators in its middle which both go up into its head. Small windows face north, west and south, but it's most popular windows (when it opens to the public) will be three which face east, the same direction the statue faces. Those are the two looking out the slit-like eyes and one round one (22" dia.) in its 'third eye'. Already, even while scaffolding is all around, the statue is well-visited - about 15 large tour buses arrive each day. Nearly all the tourists are Asian. So, you can see that, when the statue is open to the public, it will rival the white temple for popularity - and the windows in its head will be mega-popular for photo-taking - particularly those 3 on its face.

I went 2 floors higher than its highest visitor platform. The very uppermost room is in the statue's upper head. There is a square opening, about 20 inches on a side, at the very top. I balanced on an I-beam and stuck my torso out. That's where the 3rd photo came from, below.....

buddhatemples2.jpg

buddhahand.jpg

buddhahead01.jpg

That would be Wat Huay Pla Kang and the statue is Guan Yin. People go there to make merit and have their fortune told. It is actually much more than a photo op. They reportedly have an orphanage and provide hospice care among other things. It is already quite popular and when friends come up from Bangkok it is high on their list of places to go. These shots were taken last year.

Temple%2520%2520001.jpg

Temple%2520%2520002.jpg

I reside near the temple/statue. 1 Km due east, so the statue is looking at my roof. I know I shouldn't complain, but there are noise issues. I've spoken with and corresponded with the head monk there, several times over the years. It's a new temple complex, started with the past 7 years or so. He's a good man. Yet, we don't see eye to eye on the topic of projecting sounds/songs/chanting throughout the region (2 to 3 Km in all directions) via electronic horn blower speakers. I have lids on my eyes which cut out about half the light if I close them. I don't have natural plugs on my ears, though I can insert manufactured plugs. That's it then, either move far away or reside here with plastic stuffed in my ears. Incidentally, roughly half the thousands of residents in the region are not Buddhist. That shouldn't matter, except they're compelled to listen to Buddhist music/chants/sermons, like it or not.

I could say more, but have probably said too much already. Am bracing for villagefarang to dump on my post.

I am sorry that you don’t seem to appreciate my more positive outlook on life and see it as dumping on your negativity. You are entitled to your conspiracy theories and rants about all things Thai but I think it is important to acknowledge that not everyone goes through life with such a depressing view point and attitude. Being in the minority, I believe it is easier if we adapt instead of trying to change everyone else. The only person we have control over is ourselves, after all. smile.pngBe Happysmile.png

I am sorry that you don’t seem to appreciate my more positive outlook on life and see it as dumping on your negativity. You are entitled to your conspiracy theories and rants about all things Thai but I think it is important to acknowledge that not everyone goes through life with such a depressing view point and attitude. Being in the minority, I believe it is easier if we adapt instead of trying to change everyone else. The only person we have control over is ourselves, after all. smile.pngBe Happysmile.png

If I park a truck in front of your residence and blast my favorite song at your windows, every day for 5 years, then let's see how well you control yourself. Yes, I said singular 'song', because the temple broadcasts the same song, sometimes a dozen times in a row - every day for years.

It's not a question of positive or negative or control over oneself. It's an issue of rudeness vs neighborliness. We all have five basic senses. For example sense of smell. If a neighborA piles human excrement on the fenceline he shares with neighborB, then neighbor B will smell it. He can't turn off his sense of smell. Similarly, if neighbor A loudly broadcasts sounds, then his neighbors will hear it. His neighbors can put 12 inches of insulation on their walls, or wear industrial-grade earplugs, or have eardrums surgically removed, but that doesn't preclude the fact that neighborA continues to electronically pump out loud sounds.

I have neighbors. I don't want to disturb them. If there's a bad smell or a loud noise or an eyesore or garbage which bothers them, I would want them to notify me a.s.a.p. I won't get offended, and will do all I can to remedy the situation right away. I admit, since I mentioned the sound problem to the head monk, he has toned it down. I appreciate that, and told him so. It's now less of a problem than before. In its place, my neighbor has decided to raise miniature dogs. Now there's high pitched squealing yapping on and off around the clock. What can a guy do? If I was Thai, I'd poison the dogs (as often happens), but I'm not Thai and I wouldn't poison an animal.

Over to you, villagefarang.

I reside near the temple/statue. 1 Km due east, so the statue is looking at my roof. I know I shouldn't complain, but there are noise issues. I've spoken with and corresponded with the head monk there, several times over the years. It's a new temple complex, started with the past 7 years or so. He's a good man. Yet, we don't see eye to eye on the topic of projecting sounds/songs/chanting throughout the region (2 to 3 Km in all directions) via electronic horn blower speakers. I have lids on my eyes which cut out about half the light if I close them. I don't have natural plugs on my ears, though I can insert manufactured plugs. That's it then, either move far away or reside here with plastic stuffed in my ears. Incidentally, roughly half the thousands of residents in the region are not Buddhist. That shouldn't matter, except they're compelled to listen to Buddhist music/chants/sermons, like it or not.

I could say more, but have probably said too much already. Am bracing for villagefarang to dump on my post.

We live, literally, right next door to a temple.

The main gripe I have is that the locals use it as a dumping ground for unwanted cats and dogs.

I can't do anything about it, so I live with it.

The head monk is one of our neighbours brothers and is a nice fella.

A case in point, the temple had a huge tree which hung over our driveway.

In season, I had to sweep the drive daily which was a pain in the butt.

One day, he saw me sweeping and went and told the wife he felt sorry for me.

A few days later he arranged a few locals with chainsaws to lop it. Problem solved.

We also give him the odd lift into town if he needs it. A bit of common courtesy

goes a long way.

Personally, I'd consider it rude to approach the monks and ask them to keep it down,

but that's just me.

If things got/get too bad for me, I'd move. As painful as that might be.

Boomer

I find your hypotheticals a bit absurd but that is up to you. I am not trying to change you or deny you the pleasure of being miserable, I am just saying not everyone agrees with you or suffers the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune which seem to befall you with such regularity.

I guess I am not the sort to go stand in a river and complain that is it getting me wet. Yelling at the river and telling it to go around me seems a waste of time.

Boomer

I find your hypotheticals a bit absurd but that is up to you. I am not trying to change you or deny you the pleasure of being miserable, I am just saying not everyone agrees with you or suffers the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune which seem to befall you with such regularity.

I guess I am not the sort to go stand in a river and complain that is it getting me wet. Yelling at the river and telling it to go around me seems a waste of time.

He didn't go and "stand in a river", Someone diverted a river into his house during the last few years.

He is,understandably, not as full of love and compassion as you are. But then he has probably not been blessed with the divine serenity that you have.

Tell us, oh wise one, how can we gain your insight and completeness?

Is your ability to float over the troubles and afflictions of ordinary mortals the same one that derives from being able to "jet up and away" from the "negativity" the same way that you "parachuted in" to the "positivity"?

Rich farang comes to Thailand and "gets enlightenment" is an old story, spare us the "Buddhism the Ezi-Way" quotes. Please.

Boomer

He didn't go and "stand in a river", Someone diverted a river into his house during the last few years.

He is,understandably, not as full of love and compassion as you are. But then he has probably not been blessed with the divine serenity that you have.

Tell us, oh wise one, how can we gain your insight and completeness?

Is your ability to float over the troubles and afflictions of ordinary mortals the same one that derives from being able to "jet up and away" from the "negativity" the same way that you "parachuted in" to the "positivity"?

Rich farang comes to Thailand and "gets enlightenment" is an old story, spare us the "Buddhism the Ezi-Way" quotes. Please.

My insights come from nearly 40 years in Thailand if you really must know. I have always found life in Thailand interesting, fulfilling and relatively easy. I have never bought into the whole life is misery and suffering line. Life is all about choices.

Life is mixed bag. There are many things I enjoy. The things I don't enjoy are people who annoy others by blasting music, making bad smells, tossing trash in parks, etc. Sometimes I speak up about it, sometimes not. I've gone to Thai parks with black plastic bags and picked up trash that Thais toss around, for example, without saying a word to anyone. I've even gotten hill tribe kids to help me gather litter - to dispose of responsibly.

It doesn't help, in the unwanted noise dept., that I'm a musician - so I'm probably more sensitive to sounds than the average person. I sometimes wonder how, for example, a stellar musician like Stevie Wonder would respond to the noise pollution which pervades Thailand. Pardon me for going off-topic, but it can be a bumpy road. Buses, shops and restaurants blast Thai pop music, with managers never asking anyone if that's what they want to hear. How about old women and men (and everyone else) who ride on buses, for example.... is it fair to subject them to loud sappy Thai pop songs for an entire 12 hour journey? Isn't there a modicum of respect (by the bus driver) for them? Actually, bus riding in Thailand is getting a bit better in that regard. It's gone from being annoying 30 yrs ago, to very annoying 15 years ago, to barely tolerable today. Still, I suggest bringing along earplugs when shopping or taking buses in Thailand.

Nature seems to have supplied me with natural earplugs as I grew older.

Or maybe it was the years of close proximity to heavy machinery operating. smile.png

or maybe, the longer we reside in Thailand, the more Thai-like we become: tolerating loud annoying noises, not seeing trash strewn everywhere.

I find it curious that boomerangutang seems to be advertising the temple in the original post, then later wished to rhetorically complain about the noise issue, "projecting sounds/songs/chanting throughout the region (2 to 3 Km in all directions) via electronic horn blower speakers", while living in a country where that's what they do.

I want some sleep! Started by Kenny202, 2015-02-10 07:59

Disturbing monk and NO hotline Started by olaska, 2014-10-26 05:29

How to get a local wat to not play a loud single song every day? Started by boomerangutang, 2014-02-05 21:51

Loudspeaker Driving Me Crazy Started by sensei, 2012-06-27 19:13
Village Loudspeakers Started by SiriusBlack1, 2011-02-01 01:50
Foreigner With An Attitude Started by toybits, 2008-10-04 10:46
Music In Villages Started by macb, 2006-10-07 09:32
...etc, etc, etc.

One ThaiVisa member once wrote, "My Thai wife doesn't contribute anymore to the local wat as they have thoroughly pissed her off getting a new speaker system that wakes most of the village at 5am."

Yes, the use of bull-horn speakers is antiquated. But it seems necessary as for whatever reason the local Thai people forget to turn on their FM radios tuned to the Wat transmitter. (They don't take 'hints' ).

Maybe once the monies promised by the 'listeners' to complete the project are received the Wat will turn it down a smidge.

It's a warning to people wishing to move into a seemingly attractive area to spend some time there 24/7 before they start laying the foundations for the new house.

As a lot of the "problems" are seasonal... smoke pollution for example... even up to a years temporary residency may be advisable.

I sometimes wonder what foreigners expect of country folk in third world countries. You would think it would be expected that they are more apt to be superstitious, fearful, unworldly and crude in their speech and behavior. Loud, gaudy, drunken displays are often part of their customs and ritual practices as they attempt to ward off boredom and evil spirits which lurk in dark silent places. The more light and noise the better.

The nature around them is there to be used and exploited not to be preserved or left undisturbed . If you can’t use it, eat it or sell it, then what use is it? Lets face it, things are different here and we shouldn’t expect them to be like some idealize vision of where we came from.
You may not have the traffic and construction noise of the city but that doesn’t mean the countryside is quiet. Animal noises, temples, schools, village loudspeakers and farm equipment simply take the place of city noises. Sometimes even the bugs and frogs can be deafening.
We are human beings and adaptability is one of our strengths. Cold, heat, floods, drought and yes even noise are things we are good at adapting to.

The little neighborhood I grew up in was always changing.

Started off as a place for Chinese immigrants. Then they were driven out and replaced by Japanese immigrants. Then they were rounded up and replaced by Croats and Portuguese workers.

But as times grew financially difficult the large properties were subdivided and sold to retirees. Then as the retirees died off the homes were purchased by young couples wanting quiet/safe neighborhoods. When these folks started having noisy kids the retirees grew angry. But that problem eventually solved itself.

The neighborhood was eventually taken over by Hispanic families. I think the older guys were friends of boomerangutang as they would park their cars on the street and blast music from 5pm until 2am every evening while drinking and yelling. Something to do, I guess.

"Lets face it, things are different here and we shouldn’t expect them to be like some idealize vision of where we came from."

Actually, for me, it's a lot like where I came from.

And here, as it was there, I believe the problem will eventually solve itself.

Nature seems to have supplied me with natural earplugs as I grew older.

Or maybe it was the years of close proximity to heavy machinery operating. smile.png

or maybe, the longer we reside in Thailand, the more Thai-like we become: tolerating loud annoying noises, not seeing trash strewn everywhere.

I am not becoming Thai-like , I try and fit in where I live . I live between two temples and we can hear each one every night. We just turn our music up a little more . We have a construction shop two doors away from us making cement bricks 6 days a week . Have I complained ? NO. We are only here on a visa ,whatever one we have . We have to learn to accept the Thai way .Sure it is hard as we compare it to our own country . Why did we leave that country for ? Life is good here .

I have been to the temple. It is very nice , I can imagine the traffic when it opens .

There's traffic already. Indeed the temple has paid for a blacktop road - to better handle the added traffic. Even before the statue is done and open to inside visitors, there are 6 to 12 double decker buses going there and back each day, all r Asian tourists. I don't mind the traffic, though I'm a bit concerned for kids who might venture into the street when buses veer along like racing cars. My only complaint is the music pumped out to the entire region via high powered speakers - particularly when it's the same song over and over daily, for years (am not exaggerating). This morning, bells were ringing (amplified?) at 4:30 am. I'm a light sleeper and a musician, so it's a double whammy. Yes, I know the 'go back to your home country' crowd love to say to people like me, "go back to your home country if you don't like it". I've been involved with Thailand for a third of a century, longer than most Thais. I've planted a thousand trees and nurtured friendships. Many things I like here. Some things I don't like. I also don't like wasp stings.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to the temple. It is very nice , I can imagine the traffic when it opens .

There's traffic already. Indeed the temple has paid for a blacktop road - to better handle the added traffic. Even before the statue is done and open to inside visitors, there are 6 to 12 double decker buses going there and back each day, all r Asian tourists. I don't mind the traffic, though I'm a bit concerned for kids who might venture into the street when buses veer along like racing cars. My only complaint is the music pumped out to the entire region via high powered speakers - particularly when it's the same song over and over daily, for

years (am not exaggerating). This morning, bells were ringing (amplified?) at 4:30 am. I'm a light sleeper and

a musician, so it's a double whammy. Yes, I know the 'go back to your home country' crowd love to say to people like me, "go back to your home country if you don't like it". I've been involved with Thailand for a third of a century, longer than most Thais. I've planted a thousand

You are a great man , even thought one person always finds his way to put you down

• 5 weeks later...

well this discussion should did change quickly...from statues to philosophy of life.

of course I have 2 cents:

I have noticed a few farangs in chiang rai that have been here awhile who are so upset with even the slightest complaint of a new arrival..

they act as if you move here then you have to accept being taken advantage of at any time....and you should be thankful for it as well.

these farangs think they have become transplanted Buddhists and think it is so impolite to complain about the locals.

yet, at the same time, those same farangs are quick to judge others... with very little knowledge of a situation of even discussing the matter with the person they are judging.

I can think of an older lady here in town who thinks she is some kind of judge of other's...I heard her telling some gossip a few weeks back, accusing a farang of something he did not do, about something that happened a year ago, and casting dispersions on his character even though she herself has never had a conversation with the guy...

tell me ol' enlightened farangs of CR, is it Buddhist to hold a grudge and judge the character of people you don't even know?

tell me ol' enlightened farangs of CR, is it Buddhist to hold a grudge and judge the character of people you don't even know?

When it comes to petty bickering, grudges, lies and fabrications you have only scratched the surface of what goes on in CR, and no it has nothing to do with religion.

Archived