On Nut market will be closed in a week

LiorW

Ok market near BTS but the prices are not cheap. A small Heineken beer is 90 baht, hardly cheap. A glass of wine 200 baht. Normally very hot during the summer and after 1:00am hundreds of rats the size of cats running everywhere. Some parts smell very bad and the toilet smells like piss. There are some booths that do offer good food and the Japanese food I will miss. The reason prices are high I am told is because the only person really making money is the landlord.

I hope another market opens nearby and the landlord is not so greedy so prices are more reasonable.

That market is just a tourist trap. The high prices prove it. Pay 45฿ for a piece of chicken that you can buy for 20฿ some were else. Although are you sure the whole market is closing? That person may have gotten a notice that their shop will be closed, maybe because they haven't paid their rent. I know rent there is insane. For a little stall on the sidewalk is 4,600฿ a week! I can't see how someone could sell enough to pay the rent let alone make a profit to pay their own rent and live. I was looking in to a buisnesses in Lat Phrao with living space upstairs for only 7,000฿ rent a month.

Ok market near BTS but the prices are not cheap. A small Heineken beer is 90 baht, hardly cheap. A glass of wine 200 baht. Normally very hot during the summer and after 1:00am hundreds of rats the size of cats running everywhere. Some parts smell very bad and the toilet smells like piss. There are some booths that do offer good food and the Japanese food I will miss. The reason prices are high I am told is because the only person really making money is the landlord.

I hope another market opens nearby and the landlord is not so greedy so prices are more reasonable.

That market is just a tourist trap. The high prices prove it. Pay 45฿ for a piece of chicken that you can buy for 20฿ some were else. Although are you sure the whole market is closing? That person may have gotten a notice that their shop will be closed, maybe because they haven't paid their rent. I know rent there is insane. For a little stall on the sidewalk is 4,600฿ a week! I can't see how someone could sell enough to pay the rent let alone make a profit to pay their own rent and live. I was looking in to a buisnesses in Lat Phrao with living space upstairs for only 7,000฿ rent a month.

Head to lat prao young man, thankfully the backpackers and digital nomad types havent yet discovered its attractions.

My mrs refuses to shop at On Nut, wont pay the rip off mia farang prices.

You and hundreds, maybe thousands of others including vendors are being shutout of a cool place to cool out. Another gross error by authorities.

They said the same about soi 10, Khun Chuwit sorted that dump out.

Heres a photo of the great man with his dog.

post-39258-0-15578000-1444754234_thumb.j

Edited by rgs2001uk

110 baht for a large bottle of Leo is hardly expensive and the long island iced tea at The Cocktail Bar was only 160 baht, the other bar next to the clothes section of the market is 100 for a large bottle of Leo. Khao pad gai kai dao, 50 baht, I would call that pretty cheap.

What's wrong with being digital nomad? Money to be made being online thesedays!

Ohhh, the rats, yes lot's of big furry rats running amok after the bars/restaurants closed. There was a few occasions this year I was still sitting there with friends drinking until 3am with the horrible rats running around!

post-138234-0-87687600-1444780202_thumb.

Edited by tribalfusion001

110 baht for a large bottle of Leo is hardly expensive and the long island iced tea at The Cocktail Bar was only 160 baht, the other bar next to the clothes section of the market is 100 for a large bottle of Leo. Khao pad gai kai dao, 50 baht, I would call that pretty cheap.

Ohhh, the rats, yes lot's of big furry rats running amok after the bars/restaurants closed. There was a few occasions this year I was still sitting there with friends drinking until 3am with the horrible rats running around!

110thb for a large beer is obviously still too expensive going by some of the posts on here....

You and hundreds, maybe thousands of others including vendors are being shutout of a cool place to cool out. Another gross error by authorities.

"Cool" must have a new definition these days. Thousands being shut out? You must be re-counting the handful of pikey regulars every time they turn up to get to thousands, I doubt if there are even a few hundred individuals that call it their cool local.

This is nothing to do with the authorities, simply a private owner deciding to do what he wants with his own land.

"Cool" must have a new definition these days. Thousands being shut out? You must be re-counting the handful of pikey regulars every time they turn up to get to thousands, I doubt if there are even a few hundred individuals that call it their cool local.

This is nothing to do with the authorities, simply a private owner deciding to do what he wants with his own land.

Owner has probably been offered a shittonne of cash to sell it so a 40 floor condo can be lashed up... I would agree this has probably nothing to do with the government and they can protest all they want but nobody will listen

It's anathema to the resentful old men who toiled all their life just to get here when the majority of their options are older ladies or ones still young but only with them for money. They can't abide the thought that these days a young guy can make his money and be here getting sex for free from the younger ladies. They absolutely cannot stand it, so they post here in droves with their 20th century and reactionary views.

-

As to the market, yesterday I was speaking with the lady at the food stall I often use. She said Friday this week (16th) is the final night. The conversation was in Thai but when I asked if a mall or condo is replacing the market she said in English "Hospital, supermarket." I pointed out there's a Big C not far and the Tesco right across the road and she said "Macdonalds, KFC..." (both of which are present across the road).

So it seems there may not be a condo going up, rather a new area for franchises and perhaps a clinic or small hospital of some kind. I'm not sure even the stall holders have a clear idea really.

Meanwhile, she said she will continue selling food and pointed nearby towards the road.... I wished her luck but I don't think there's much future in that either given the crack down on vending etc.

I don't drink Leo and 90 baht for a small Heineken is expensive for a hot dirty smelly outdoor food court. I don't care about the price, it is value for your money that I look for. I normally go there because I can walk there in one minute and I like the Japanese food. Also have many friends there. Stop there normally for a beer and off to an aircon place with entertainment and 80 baht for same beer... Hahaha...

Nobody got evicted without notice. All leases were month by month. Ownership was already for long time with a development company which allowed the vendors etc. to lease areas until development would start... which is now.

It was an ok place, obviously nobody wanted to invest a lot as no one knew when the lease would be discontinued, which showed in the crappy and smelly toilets and further areas.

But.... it is time to move on. In several areas are places which will be happy to see some of the people who saw the market as their local. With better food and lower prices..

The digital nomads, backpackers and teflrs will be crying into their chang.

If truth be known, a dump, well beloved of those who live in cheap scuzzy condos in soi 81.

Places like this abound all over Bkk, thankfully the, knocking out muay thai shorts on e-bay dont know about them.

Just down the road another place lies empty, the rents are way too high.

Head to soi pridi, if you can afford it.

For a laff, head into to T/L next door and check out the food court.

Was bloody disgusted, a bunch of KSR refugees too bloody cheap to buy a drink, swigging from a litre bottle of pepsi, didnt even pour it into the free glasses provided, even the burmese cleaners were shocked.

please someone update the Lonely Planet and tell these kee nok types to stay away.

good lord, could your misery be any more palpable?

If truth be known, a dump, well beloved of those who live in cheap scuzzy condos in soi 81.

Places like this abound all over Bkk, thankfully the, knocking out muay thai shorts on e-bay dont know about them.

Was bloody disgusted, a bunch of KSR refugees too bloody cheap to buy a drink, swigging from a litre bottle of pepsi, didnt even pour it into the free glasses provided, even the burmese cleaners were shocked.

please someone update the Lonely Planet and tell these kee nok types to stay away.

Actually, this thread has been an eye opener, I now understand why people and posters tell us its perfectly ok to live in Bkk for 10,000 baht per month.

Misery, LOL, you are having a laff, I aint the one eating guay tiaw for 30 baht, you will usally find me at Tony Romas, eating on the inside, the others will be stood outside the window licking their chops in anticipation, before heading for some kao man gai at 30 baht a pop.

Another poster mentioned soi 17, I know it well.

The Thais asked me if I had an old shirt I could give the frarang tramp that was wandering around all day with no top.

Learn some Thai, and listen to the comments.

Actually, this thread has been an eye opener, I now understand why people and posters tell us its perfectly ok to live in Bkk for 10,000 baht per month.

Misery, LOL, you are having a laff, I aint the one eating guay tiaw for 30 baht, you will usally find me at Tony Romas, eating on the inside, the others will be stood outside the window licking their chops in anticipation, before heading for some kao man gai at 30 baht a pop.

The Thais asked me if I had an old shirt I could give the frarang tramp that was wandering around all day with no top.

What's wrong with kuay teow or khao men gai for 30 baht, the Thai's are happy to eat it. At the end of the day, it's food to fill a whole, rather spend more on a decent beer or cocktail 555

tony romas?

who's laughing at who now?

if you are going to play superior, you should perhaps review your choices.

tony romas?

<peers out from el gaucho and laughs uproriously>

<peers out from el gaucho and laughs uproriously>

Is that place worth a visit or are you taking the piss?

I had a burger and a beer there once and it cost me 1050 Baht so I'll let you be the judge. Edited by smokie36

tony romas?

you should perhaps review your choices.

And there in a nutshell we have it, choices.

I have the choice of where I eat, others dont.

Choices choices, should I order half a rack or a full rack, oh bring me another beer while I contemplate and review my choices.

PS there is an excellent burger bar on Pattanakarn soi 30, try it some time, you may like it.

Personally I prefer the place at the bottom of Suk 17 right beside 7, well worth seeking out, and you wont read about that in the LP guide book slavishly followed by the Bucket List brigade.

Been there, took a selfie and uploaded to my FB account.

I upload and share on my website so everyone can experience a different side of Bangkok!

Good man, maybe we can come to some sort of arrangement, eg royalties or commission.

I can't mention the name of my site on here ermm.gif, but I have written about Bangnamphung floating market, Kwan Riam floating market, Wat Lad Phrao, Suan Luang Rama 9 park and I'll be writing about Talad Rod Fai, plus a piece about On Nut night market in the next week or two!

tony romas?

you should perhaps review your choices.

And there in a nutshell we have it, choices.

I have the choice of where I eat, others dont.

Choices choices, should I order half a rack or a full rack, oh bring me another beer while I contemplate and review my choices.

PS there is an excellent burger bar on Pattanakarn soi 30, try it some time, you may like it.

Personally I prefer the place at the bottom of Suk 17 right beside 7, well worth seeking out, and you wont read about that in the LP guide book slavishly followed by the Bucket List brigade.

Been there, took a selfie and uploaded to my FB account.

The Thai place opposite the burger bar on Soi 30...there are two...the one in the corner...does a very tasty Krapow Moo Sap....make sure to ask them to ensure the pork is not too fatty though!

I upload and share on my website so everyone can experience a different side of Bangkok!

Good man, maybe we can come to some sort of arrangement, eg royalties or commission.

I can't mention the name of my site on here ermm.gif, but I have written about Bangnamphung floating market, Kwan Riam floating market, Wat Lad Phrao, Suan Luang Rama 9 park and I'll be writing about Talad Rod Fai, plus a piece about On Nut night market in the next week or two!

Good man, send it to me in a PM.

FYI, how about heading up to Wat Talat Nam on Ramkhamhaeng.

For our sak yant types, there is a Wat on soi Nawamin that does them for 200 baht..

Talat Roi Fai, are you talking about the back of Seacon Square?

If so there is a very nice beer garden area, serves Paulaner as well.

Sat and Sundays are the best days.

Bangnamphung floating market, Kwan Riam floating market, Wat Lad Phrao, Suan Luang Rama 9 park and I'll be writing about Talad Rod Fai, plus a piece about On Nut night market in the next week or two!

Good man, send it to me in a PM.

FYI, how about heading up to Wat Talat Nam on Ramkhamhaeng.

For our sak yant types, there is a Wat on soi Nawamin that does them for 200 baht..

Talat Roi Fai, are you talking about the back of Seacon Square?

If so there is a very nice beer garden area, serves Paulaner as well.

Sat and Sundays are the best days.

Yeah, that's the one, behind Seacon, nightmare to get to from Suk soi 77 in a taxi on a Friday evening! I went there twice, had a modified car show in front of Seacon with some hot models and a DJ blasting out some tunes.

The next time I'm in BKK I'll need some new temples and markets to check out. I'm in the UK now, actually writing about the weather in Bridgetown, Barbados for a freelance contract, digital nomading in Essex 555

post-138234-0-12139000-1445531573_thumb.

post-138234-0-42679300-1445531841_thumb.

to end all of this, i got off the skytrain, yesterday to go to my angling shop and can confirm the market has been flattend there is not one thing left.and who in their right mind would want to pay x million bahts to buy a condo and live next to a skytrain running 18 hours a day, ok repeating an earlier post, i did look at the VERVE condo a year ago, by onnut BTS, the noise put me off.