Big (Fat) Sam Appointment

james.d

The last 3 Sunderland managers; Di Canio, Poyet & Advocaat; all played Newcastle in their second game in charge. They all won. Big Sam's second game in charge will be against Newcastle. You are right to be worried. I think Big Sam needs his bumps feeling for taking this job on. Good luck to him.

My thoughts, I think the Big "(Fat)" things a bit harsh.

Seems like a good lad to me, and I don't fully comprehend the incessant criticism he gets.

redrus

it's because he's a boorish self-important bellend with all the charm and social grace of a pubic louse, rus.

Seems like a good lad to me, and I don't fully comprehend the incessant criticism he gets.

redrus

it's because he's a boorish self-important bellend with all the charm and social grace of a pubic louse, rus.

Hhhhm, I think he's alright, mustn't say a lot about me then though, I have never met the bloke, he doesn't seem half the tool that Big Ron is.

I mean if you want boorish bell ends, Big Ron, Gordon Strachan, Kenny Dalgleish, Harry Redknapp and Monotone Mick McCarthy are above him for me.

Some may place LvG in that list, I'm not going to, for obvious reasons. [emoji6]

redrus

redrus

Big Sam will always have a special place in my heart for laughing in the face of Chico Flores. A special moment.biggrin.png

N

redrus

Absolutely, Allardyce gets far more grief than he should do and the majority of it is wrong anyway.

He's a progessive manager no matter what anyone says and tactically very cute but like so many of his fellow countrymen especially of his era, he's an easy target for the media which then filters down to the masses.

I'd have Allardyce over Maclaren all day every day too in reply to the original poster.

Any West Ham manager that beats the Spurs as often as he did and gets results against Chelsea and Millwall is alright in my book. ;)

I wish him all the very best of luck and will apologise in advance for the reception he will sadly get at Upton Park later in the year by the mindless minority it now sadly attracts.

Having said all that, he will do amazingly well to keep up an extremely poor Sunderland team that seriously lacks quality.

Edited by jeffuk

1. allardyce is not a progressive manager.

2. comparing him to mclaren isn't a great justification.

3. he gets grief because in management terms he's a dinosaur and as a person he's an appalling self-obsessed self-promoting arrogant gobsh*te who thinks that if he was called allardiccio he'd walk into a much better job.

3. he gets grief because in management terms he's a dinosaur and as a person he's an appalling self-obsessed self-promoting arrogant gobsh*te who thinks that if he was called allardiccio he'd walk into a much better job.

1) You don't think a manager that for just one example, had Prozone in 15 years ago and helped build it isn't a progressive manager ? You can only answer that of course if you have any idea of what Prozone is of course but as a regular football fan, I wouldn't hold it against you if you didn't as you wouldn't be alone. I could use tactical examples if you don't think the above is progressive either.

2) I was aiming the comment at the Newcastle supporter who started the thread and asked if anyone had any thoughts on his appointment and if he should be worried about their game in a couple of weeks, it wasn't meant to justify anything and I have no idea as to why you think it would. Weird.

3) Point proven with what I said about the media filtering down to the masses. And by the way, it was Allardici and I'm surprised you don't know that given you must have met him so many times to know that he's a "self obsessed gobshite".

Red Scouse I presume given the terminology, or at least a Surrey/Cheshire/Hampshire supporting one that thinks using Scouse terms makes him Scouse ?

Can smell them a mile off.

Edited by jeffuk

Problem with BFS is that he was old Whisky Noses sychophantic lackey. That would never go down well with LFC lads (wherever they were from) Rafa bought and sold him whenever they met, and had him (and SAF) wingeing on more than one occasionbiggrin.png

Especially against Blackburn when "We had the set-pieces up on the board before the game and he had told Xabi to do a certain free kick. He did the opposite but we scored from it, so he was basically saying, ‘Don’t listen to me, do your own thing." SG.

Somehow the big baby (and his boss who was, at the time, our biggest rival) misconstrued this as an undermining gesture against himself! Poor little guytongue.png

Too be fair, the Chico Flores incident was amusing thoughbiggrin.png

At the end of the day, he has an extremely high opinion of himself, without ever winning anything (as is the case with BR before you startwink.png ) and has also been alleged to have been involved with nefarious activities (with his family) at a number of the clubs he has been involved withthumbsup.gif

Not my cup of tea to be honest!coffee1.gif

If you were looking for a manager who is currently unemployed who has the highest points per game tally then http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik suggests, in order of priority:

Carlo Ancelotti - 2.01

Dick Advocaat (!) - 1.74

Roberto di Matteo - 1.73

Brenda is reasonably rated at 1.62!

Of the likely managers with Prem experience who would take on a bottom feeding club Sam seems a solid enough choice to me. From memory he was reasonably well rated in that category (when I looked at the table a few weeks back).

StevieH's comments are always worth a read for scouse vitriol, but since he proudly announces that he doesn't watch any teams other than his own his views are pretty suspect to say the least whistling.gif

N

redrus

Absolutely, Allardyce gets far more grief than he should do and the majority of it is wrong anyway.

He's a progessive manager no matter what anyone says and tactically very cute but like so many of his fellow countrymen especially of his era, he's an easy target for the media which then filters down to the masses.

I'd have Allardyce over Maclaren all day every day too in reply to the original poster.

Any West Ham manager that beats the Spurs as often as he did and gets results against Chelsea and Millwall is alright in my book. wink.png

I wish him all the very best of luck and will apologise in advance for the reception he will sadly get at Upton Park later in the year by the mindless minority it now sadly attracts.

Having said all that, he will do amazingly well to keep up an extremely poor Sunderland team that seriously lacks quality.

What is progressive about his management?

He is a bit hard done by, but he knows quality when he sees it. He brought Djorkaeff & Okocha to the Prem and rescued Anelka's career. Campo, Hierro, Nakata, Speed were other quality players who had a new lease of life under Big Sam. If he gets the best out of Defoe then the Mackems will stay up.

1) You don't think a manager that for just one example, had Prozone in 15 years ago and helped build it isn't a progressive manager ? You can only answer that of course if you have any idea of what Prozone is of course but as a regular football fan, I wouldn't hold it against you if you didn't as you wouldn't be alone. I could use tactical examples if you don't think the above is progressive either.

2) I was aiming the comment at the Newcastle supporter who started the thread and asked if anyone had any thoughts on his appointment and if he should be worried about their game in a couple of weeks, it wasn't meant to justify anything and I have no idea as to why you think it would. Weird.

3) Point proven with what I said about the media filtering down to the masses. And by the way, it was Allardici and I'm surprised you don't know that given you must have met him so many times to know that he's a "self obsessed gobshite".

Red Scouse I presume given the terminology, or at least a Surrey/Cheshire/Hampshire supporting one that thinks using Scouse terms makes him Scouse ?

Can smell them a mile off.

aww bless. you're right of course i have no idea what prozone is, nor do i know that every top club uses it and has done for years to conduct statistical analysis of player performance. please feel free to enlighten with your tactical examples of course though, such as sticking ivan campo up front and lumping it at him when a goal or two behind going into the last fifteen.

and wool and proud by the way. no plastic scouser or wannabe here. or plazzie scouser if you prefer and it suits your pigeonholing better. as most of my posts in the liverpool thread probably indicate. some nose that though mate.

He is a bit hard done by, but he knows quality when he sees it. He brought Djorkaeff & Okocha to the Prem and rescued Anelka's career. Campo, Hierro, Nakata, Speed were other quality players who had a new lease of life under Big Sam. If he gets the best out of Defoe then the Mackems will stay up.

yeah think that's a fair summary, he did a great job at bolton where he got the most out of some ageing stars who many thought were washed up. he might well keep sunderland up but it'll probably again be to the sound of fans' complaints about his style of football.

redrus

when his team 's are winning things are fine with the fans but when they lose his style has little entertainment value. saying that think that is the best appointment that Sunderland could have made. but tbh the squad atm Imo is a mess and aint up to anything other than avoiding relegation AT BEST.