Govt officials in 10 central, eastern provinces told to prepare for heavy rains

Lite Beer

Govt officials in 10 central, eastern provinces told to prepare for heavy rains

BANGKOK,10 October 2015 (NNT) – The authorities in 10 provinces in central and eastern Thailand have been alerted to take preparations for upcoming heavy rains.

Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation director-general Chatchai Promlert said many areas will be hit by heavy downpours on October 10 and 11, including those in Saraburi and Lop Buri provinces in the central region of the country and those in Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chantaburi, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri and Sa Kaeo provinces in the eastern region.

Department officials and staff attached to those risk areas will closely monitor the situation around the clock. Others will immediately provide relief aid and equipment to help villagers in case of possible disasters.

The local villagers at risk spots, particularly those in coastal, mountainous, low-lying areas and river banks, were told to be careful of possible dangers from heavy downpours and subsequent flooding for the time being.

The villagers in risk areas are suggested to closely monitor weather forecasts and warnings broadcast via various media as well as observe any unusual natural phenomena, so that they could be quickly evacuated from affected areas. In particular, fishermen with small boats are strongly advised against going out to sea due to heavy rains.

Meanwhile, drainage pipes in urban areas are being inspected to assure they can contain excess water caused by heavy rains. Dams, weirs, reservoirs and dikes are also being checked to see whether they remain in good condition. The department chief added that tourist spots such as waterfalls and beaches might be temporarily closed if found to be unsafe.

Members of the public may ask for assistance by calling hotline 1784 around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-10 footer_n.gif

Weather forecasting in Thailand is not a science its just a guess.In the north we were told that a typhoon that was, at the time,not even having crossed the Vietnam coast was on its way

to some drought ravaged areas.Of course it never arrived as typhoons once they hit the land mass can go in any direction or simply turn into a slow moving rain drpression and disappear.

South of CM we have been promised heavy rain for many days but sum total 2- 5 min showers the last one 15 mins ago.

Many dams are at critical levels and as each day goes by the chances of heavy rain evaporates along with water levels as we move into November.

You need a min of 2 days with heavy rain to start run off to dams ,showers do nothing than lay the dust.

For the last two days here in Khon Kaen we have had over 45mm of rain that we have needed so as for me I am very happy,just hope the powers to be don't panic and start dumping water out of our reservoir in anticipation of more rain.

Did I see one positive post. Rain is needed and some low lying areas may suffer. I live in Pratchinburi, Kabinburi area. We have had small but constant rain throughout the monsoon period. Heavy flooding in really low areas but most people have abandoned this long ago. My wifes small holding is in high ground. Our house is raised. Bring on the rain, fill all the dams.

Really hope posters are right and the weather bureau wrong. Taking the kids to a resort on Chonburi/ Rayong border next week, as my youngest has never seen the sea. Tried to tell the wife that it is the wrong season for the East coast, Let's go to Cha-Am. But I am just farang, what do I know?

Really hope posters are right and the weather bureau wrong. Taking the kids to a resort on Chonburi/ Rayong border next week, as my youngest has never seen the sea. Tried to tell the wife that it is the wrong season for the East coast, Let's go to Cha-Am. But I am just farang, what do I know?

NOTHING

For the last two days here in Khon Kaen we have had over 45mm of rain that we have needed so as for me I am very happy,just hope the powers to be don't panic and start dumping water out of our reservoir in anticipation of more rain.

You are so lucky! Here in Kosum Phisai, about 30 km away from Khon Kaen, we got only 3 mm of rain despite the flood warning for the province. My ponds are still at their pre-wet season level. No hard rain, causing run-off to speak of this wet season.