Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

BANGKOK:-- It is, arguably, taken for granted by most Western visitors, and even expatriates in Thailand, that they will be overcharged at various points of their trip or stay.

Thailand has this reputation, and this is why you might see some foreigners arguing over 10 baht (30 cents) for a tuk-tuk journey, or shamefully bargaining at times on fixed-price goods such as eggs.

The seasoned tourist fears he’s being made a fool of, while the expat may feel he is already contributing enough to the Thai economy and shouldn’t be taken advantage of.

Foreigners are mostly all well aware of the skullduggery that sometimes exists in Thai pricing strategies. Some people accept it, others resent it. It exists, arguably, because when Westerners started visiting Thailand in droves they were seen as rich, and perhaps because of that were deemed eligible for a little extra taxation.

A story this week brought the issue of dual pricing up again after an American-born, Thailand raised (without citizenship) man was charged 200 baht to visit the Emerald Pool in Krabi, while his Thai friends were charged 20 baht. The Bangkok Post followed up with an opinion piece stating that two-tiered pricing is bad for the image of the country, which is probably true, if not now a platitude we hear too frequently.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only 2 thing to do if you want thai´s to change this

they need to feel it themself, so all outside thailand must charge 10 times the price to all thai and all going to thailand must turn there back to all places with dual pricing

if Thailand ever wants to be favorable for the EU or USA they better lose the whole term "farang" to begin with and treat all people the same.

i know what i wrote,is an open door for trolls ,let me reassure all trolls will be dealt with by the dragon

Edited by retell

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Edited by gomangosteen

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

It really depends on who is sitting in the ticket office. Some places will let you in at the Thai price and others absolutely refuse.

What is the purpose of charging foreigners more? Pure greed? It certainly isn't because we make more mess.

Is it to provide foreigners with more service? I doubt it.

Recently we were a group of foreigners, together with Thai government officials on a cultural visit to Ayutayha. We wanted to visit one of the museums and despite serious arguments from the Thai officials they refused to let the foreigners in at the Thai rate. We paid the 200 Baht.

The question is What on earth did we pay for? Everything inside was written in Thai and although there were a few electronic playback devices allowing foreigners to listen in English, not one of them worked.

Several of the technical exhibition pieces (slide shows etc.) didn't work either. Even if we had paid 20 baht it would have been a waste of money.

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

normally not travel around with the house book anyway, but dl does help ,it is all up to the person behind the desk what the charge gonna be

Most short term tourists do not even know they are being Charged at a Higher Price. Some who do , just don't care, they can afford it they say.

Me, I just do not support any of the venues asking for a higher price, including restaurants and anything that see's a Farang as an extra charge.

Charge me 5 Baht extra, never see another Satang of mine.. Done..

Even the airlines here ( Not all ) have a double standard..

Think Farangs pay heavily, Japanese are the highest charged I have seen.. OH GOODY , JAPANESE, clap2.gif, $$$$$$ KA-CHING

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

It's not about the money. It's about being discriminated against.

I do not visit any of the local attractions that have dual pricing. Period.

luudee

Short answer.... No!! Experience has been, seen as a 'farang'; no exception whether been here long term or not. You're always a 'farang'.

Emirates BKK-BHX business class ticket return 147000 baht

Emirates BHX-BKK return business class 110000

Pls go call Emirates and ask them why the Thai price is 37000 more??

Same planes same flight times you just go back on the same plane Johnny English arrived on

Most short term tourists do not even know they are being Charged at a Higher Price. Some who do , just don't care, they can afford it they say.

Me, I just do not support any of the venues asking for a higher price, including restaurants and anything that see's a Farang as an extra charge.

Charge me 5 Baht extra, never see another Satang of mine.. Done..

Even the airlines here ( Not all ) have a double standard..

Think Farangs pay heavily, Japanese are the highest charged I have seen.. OH GOODY , JAPANESE, clap2.gif, $$$$$$ KA-CHING

I agree with you.

The practice of charging foreigners more is getting worse. I experience taxi drivers asking for a big tip, motorcycle taxis charging double or treble the normal rate.

A few weeks ago I went to my usual little shop to buy a bottle of water. There was a new girl working there and she asked for 10 baht (usually 7 baht). I asked if she was sure and she said yes. I thought that that was a big increase. Anyway, the next day I went back and the owner was there as usual. She charged me 7 baht. I asked her, as to why the other girl charged 10 baht, She fetched her and asked the same question. The girl simply replied "Farang price". I put the bottle down and walked out, never to return.

3 baht in itself is nothing, but if I am charged more everywhere I go my little salary (government school teacher) will soon be eaten up.

One way to lessen the outrage is to regard it as a 'Thai subsidy' rather than a 'farang tax'.

How many Thais would go to the parks and zoos and so on if they had to pay the outrageous sums we do?

It's not a subsidy. Back in 1999 it cost 20 baht for everyone to enter national parks. Then the 400 bt fee for foreigners was introduced.

There is bigger picture... With the government permitting this practice it opens the rest of the country up to a justification that they can charge any foreigner more than a Thai.

This will (and has) spread to Taxis, hospitals, restaurants etc...

What we are seeing now as the 'thin end of the wedge' (well, more so now) could soon become more extreme.

Those suggesting 'whats the big deal, is 200 baht going to break the budget?' have lost sight of a bigger picture - double pricing and government approved double pricing encourages xenophobia, it justifies the greed of some. It makes visitors feel unwelcome and puts tourists unnecessarily on edge. This additional greed leaves people with a poor taste in the mouths after an otherwise pleasurable experience - in short, there is very little long term gain in double pricing, but officials seem to care only for instant gratification - again, the only benefactor is greed.

What other countries do is irrelevant: If other countries have double pricing it doesn't make it right or acceptable.

So, If it never bothered you, at some point it will - maybe when you are faced with an expensive hospital charge, charged 2x or 5x for a meal, charged more for your rent (or condo purchase) etc etc... you see, by allowing double pricing it opens the practice up to other businesses.

Thailand is a lovely country but it is a real shame to sometimes see these short sighted policies and practices continuing unhindered. When discussing these practices and polities with my Thai friends, they too are somewhat disgusted and embarrassed by dual pricing.

Edited by richard_smith237

Totally agree. I wish the UK would introduce it. So as my tax paid for Windsor Castle why do I need to pay again. And why people moan about paying a few pounds going into these wonderful places in Thailand is beyond me.

Emirates BKK-BHX business class ticket return 147000 baht

Emirates BHX-BKK return business class 110000

Pls go call Emirates and ask them why the Thai price is 37000 more??

Same planes same flight times you just go back on the same plane Johnny English arrived on

There's more to it than that. It used to be cheaper originating from Asia.

This is also seasonal - There are cheaper times of year to fly from one origin compared to another - This is ticketing and promotion, it depends on regional demand.

Additionally - as annoying as it is when it doesn't work out in your favour these different ticketing charges have nothing to do with dual pricing - On the same journey, under the same ticket promotion there are no differences in price regardless of your nationality.

One thing you can be sure of , foreigners do know about the skullduggery , if you only took the time to check out social media sites in their countries or listen to the comments when boarding a plane , Thailand's ears would be ringing with the derogatory remarks made , mainly about corruption , being ripped off and corrupt police.coffee1.gif

It's not about the money. It's about being discriminated against.

I do not visit any of the local attractions that have dual pricing. Period.

luudee

That's like arguing the fact that Thai people have to pay income tax in Thailand and tourists don't have to is discriminatory.

Natural history museum in London etc. free to all, including tourists

Thats because the British got the contents free by stealing it from other countries. My tax paid for Buckingham Palace. So why cant I get in there free?