extending retirement visa

I believe it is a month. Been there once earlier for marriage, as we planned to travel. They accepted everything. Even got a "under consideration" stamp to return in one month. Next day they called and said it was too early and got a new date on the stamp. For retirement it should be decided without further "investigation", but different immigration offices handle things differently.

Yes it's a good idea to apply early. The new extension will apply from the date the old extension expires regardless of when you apply so there is nothing lost applying early.

Edited by elviajero

The latest unofficial info from Jomtien is that they will allow 45 days early but would rather you go in 30 days early.

I've always gone in closer to 45 days than 30 days early. Never had a problem. No one there ever expressed a preference.

I just hand everything over without preamble or inquiry or attempts to start pointing things out to them.

My Extension of Stay ends on the 15th of December, will my new Extension of Stay start on the day I apply or on the 16th of December ?

16th of December.

You never lose any time on your new extension by applying earlier than the expiration date of your current extension.

• Like 1

No more than about a week before at Kap Choeng.

And then they will only give you a 30-day "under consideration" stamp initially (even for a retirement extension), I believe?

Edited by OJAS

extension for reasons of retirement, u get ur passport/extension back the same day ( at least here in Phuket)

Never heard of under consideration for retirement.

It's been reported as happening at some other offices.

They can put any extension application under consideration.

My Extension of Stay ends on the 15th of December, will my new Extension of Stay start on the day I apply or on the 16th of December ?

16th of December.

You never lose any time on your new extension by applying earlier than the expiration date of your current extension.

Another variable. My current extension started the day I applied, 9 days before the previous one expired.

16th of December.

Another variable. My current extension started the day I applied, 9 days before the previous one expired.

A retirement extension?

If that is the case, that sounds like an error.

I have never read a case here of a retirement extension applicant losing time from the FULL YEAR on their new extension by applying before the expiration date of their current extension.

Edited by Jingthing

16th of December.

A retirement extension?

I have never read a case here of a retirement extension applicant losing time from the FULL YEAR on their new extension by applying before the expiration date of their current extension.

This happened also to me and another blogger I know...in different offices. In both cases we changed the reason for the extension from marriage to retirement.

So beware, changing the reason for the extension could result in losing time.

16th of December.

A retirement extension?

This happened also to me and another blogger I know...in different offices. In both cases we changed the reason for the extension from marriage to retirement.

That is also what I did and may well be the reason, but that is not what was posted.

No more than about a week before at Kap Choeng.

And then they will only give you a 30-day "under consideration" stamp initially (even for a retirement extension), I believe?

Also a visit by IO to your registered address. They also scrutinise where your living expenses come from even if you use the 800,000 baht method or are in possession of an embassy certified letter.

OK, that makes more sense. Never heard of that happening on routine consecutive retirement extensions.

The latest unofficial info from Jomtien is that they will allow 45 days early but would rather you go in 30 days early.

I've always gone in closer to 45 days than 30 days early. Never had a problem. No one there ever expressed a preference.

I just hand everything over without preamble or inquiry or attempts to start pointing things out to them.

Based on your experience I went to Jomtien today to renew my extension based on retirement. I was 38 days to the actual renewal date. Like you no preamble or pointing things out to them - Got my number, waited for thirty minutes - lots of yellow highlighting and then 'Oh you are too early - the rule here is 30 days'. Come back next week.You are obviously more 'handsum' than me.They probably would if you had flight tickets etc but I did not ask. Slightly off topic they now want TM30. You need copy of your passport plus the form (and in my case copy of my wifes ID Card and copy of her Blue Book.) You see the front desk girls and ( no number reqd) they tell you to go to second floor to register. The stairs are straight ahead and on the right. No fine and no cost. I asked and the 'validity' is 'untill' you move. I started with a copy of my Yellow book but that came winging back in a nanosecond. Oh well the DLT now seem to accept them.

Edited by pontious

Wow, if that is the new procedure at Jomtien, they have certainly tightened up the rules for retirees.

(1) Only 30 days in advance

(2) TM.30 must be on file

(3) Savings must be seasoned for combination (savings+income) method (from another thread)

Edited by wpcoe