Correct use of OA Multi

It's been discussed before but, as the rules change or the goalposts are moved without notice, I need to confirm/clarify the correct useage. I obtained the retirement OA multiple entry from Vancouver. This is quoted directly from their website:

"Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void."

It is stated that a re-entry permit is required regardless of the visa type.

My details:

Date of Issue- 29 July 2015

Date of expiry- 28 July 2016

Date of entry- 13 Aug. 2015

Admitted until- Aug 11 2016

Clarification needed:

1. Re-entry permit needed?

2. 90 day reporting, In my case, Nov 11 2015. As the admitted until date is a full year, I can safely assume that it is the holders responsibility to determine the reporting date.

3. 90 day can be done either at CMI or as a 'border run', (no re-entry permit required.)

4. Also I assume that, as a new visa, reporting by mail will not be available until doing a first report at CMI.

Thanks for the info, any additional tips are appreciated.

Please provide a link to that information.

Information is correct in that you could not continue your current permitted to stay unless done - but if you have the multi entry non-immigrant O-A version each new entry during the one year validity of the visa itself gets a new independent one year permitted to stay stamp.

You would need a re-entry permit after 28 July 2016

• Like 1

You will not need a re-entry permit until 28 july 2016 when the visa expires.

If you make an entry into Thailand immediately prior to 28 July 2016 you will receive permission to stay until 2017, during this time you will need a re-entry permit if travel is undertaken.

Toward the end of your 2nd year in Thailand an extension of stay based on retirement can be applied for.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

This info you quoted is for a single entry OA visa which they stopped issuing years ago. It is wrong info that can be found on many embassy websites.

"Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void."

You have a multiple entry visa. No need for a re-entry permit until your visa expires.

• Like 2

Thanks. So I'm on the right track. Mae Sai on Nov. 11 will work for me then.

Link to Thai Consulate Vancouver. The erroneous statement being the first point in #3.

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/retirement-visa/

And on the same page they have info for a single entry visa they state this.

"The Consulate will be issue multiple entry visa only"

There is more wrong and outdated info on the same page.

An example of outdated is this address to mail a 90 day report to."This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, 507 Soi SuanPlu, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120" That office has been closed for many years plus you can only mail it to your local office now.

Date of Issue- 29 July 2015

Date of expiry- 28 July 2016

Date of entry- 13 Aug. 2015

Admitted until- Aug 11 2016

Assuming you have a multi entry non 'O-A' visa.

1. No.
  2. Yes, for the first report following entry to the country.
  3. You need to do a 90 day report at CMI or leave and re-enter the country. Reporting is easier. Online, post or in person.
  4. No. As long as you're on the system, which you should be. Try doing it as early as possible and if it fails you still have time to do it by post or in person.

During the first year while the Visa is still valid you do not need a Re Entry Permit.

Each time you enter you will get 12 months stay.

During the second year once the Visa has expired you will need a Re Entry Permit if you wish to travel

Better you spell it out about leaving near the last day of 1st year and getting 12 months stay and then needing re-entry permit.

A multi entry visa has an expiration date - once that date is reached it can not be used for new entry - so if your permitted to stay is beyond that date and you wish to travel and return to use the remainder of it you must obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand to use for next entry (which will be for the remainder of permitted to stay when the re-entry permit was issued).

• Like 1

Not necessary to go to Mai Sai, waste of time and money.

Just do the 90 day report, either online (if that works) or by post or in person at CMI, no cost involved.

Remember to do a border run prior to visa expiring on 28/07/2016 to get a further 12 months. After visa expires you will need re entry permits if you wish to leave Thailand.