Oct 2015, Vientiane, first time O-retirement visa report

Thanks for report. Mine exactly same few months back. This next bit is not meant to be pedantic, but just in case you assist friends. There is no such thing as a retirement visa. You obtained a non imm O based on retirement.

Befor that expires in 90 days you will apply for a 12 month extension. You do that where you live. Then you no longer have a visa. You have an extension of stay for 12 months that you can extent for further 12 months upon meeting imm requirements. Happy days. BTW if you wish to exit los in that extension period don't forget your reentry permit. Single or multiple. Also your 90 day report

Edited by jacksam

I hope you grabbed one of those great Lao Baguette sandwiches that the lady sells as you queue up waiting for the gate to open. I will go back just for that !

I grabbed one right after I was done turning my papers in. Ate in the thatched roof place across the road the next day. With the rain they were super busy that day.

• Like 2

Thanks for report. Mine exactly same few months back. This next bit is not meant to be pedantic, but just in case you assist friends. There is no such thing as a retirement visa. You obtained a non imm O based on retirement.

Befor that expires in 90 days you will apply for a 12 month extension. You do that where you live. Then you no longer have a visa. You have an extension of stay for 12 months that you can extent for further 12 months upon meeting imm requirements. Happy days

Mostly true. One still has an O visa after the initial 90 days, so long as one obtains extensions to that initial visa. It's the same visa, only it gets extensions to it's validity.

I figured 'O-retirement' was sufficient shorthand to make it clear what I was talking about.

Edited by Furryman

Befor that expires in 90 days you will apply for a 12 month extension. You do that where you live. Then you no longer have a visa. You have an extension of stay for 12 months that you can extent for further 12 months upon meeting imm requirements. Happy days

Mostly true. One still has an O visa after the initial 90 days, so long as one obtains extensions to that initial visa. It's the same visa, only it gets extensions to it's validity.

I figured 'O-retirement' was sufficient shorthand to make it clear what I was talking about.

Sorry but "Visas" never have Validity extended. Your visa has now been stamped "Used" !

What is extended is the "permission to stay"

• Like 2

Sorry but "Visas" never have Validity extended. Your visa has now been stamped "Used" !

While it is still a bit of a distinction without a difference, I believe you are wrong on that point. While I was recently on an ED visa and had it extended 3 times, they certainly kept track of what visa it was that they had allowed me into the country on. They even made sure I did some paperwork to get permission to leave Thailand, because of the visa type I was here under.

Right on the form for applying for an extension it asks what kind of visa you have.

• Like 1

While it is still a bit of a distinction without a difference, I believe you are wrong on that point. While I was recently on an ED visa and had it extended 3 times, they certainly kept track of what visa it was that they had allowed me into the country on. They even made sure I did some paperwork to get permission to leave Thailand, because of the visa type I was here under.

Right on the form for applying for an extension it asks what kind of visa you have.

This issue has been discussed many times.

You had "extensions of stay" NOT extensions of a Visa. The visa is what allows a person to legally enter the country. Reference is made to the original (expired) visa which allowed entry when an "Extension of Stay" is applied for

• Like 2

You didn't get a retirement visa.

You got a non-immigrant O visa based on your intention to apply for an annual retirement extension in Thailand.

The only visa that can really be called a retirement visa are O-A visas obtained from your home country.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

In simple terms as already pointed out. Your visa is stamped used. You have an extension of stay in the kingdom. Welcome

The entry is used, I'm in country on permission to stay based on my visa. Talk about nitpicking...

Wrong!

Your extension is based on a Reason other than that you once had a visa.

"

Could be your "Extension of stay" is based on marriage,working, education, retirement ect. it is not based on a "visa"!

• Like 2

You got an O visa with intention to apply retirement extensions in Thailand.

The only visa that can really be called a retirement visa are O-A visas obtained from your home country.

I got a non immigrant O (for Other) visa. The specific type of 'Other' is retirement. If my 'Other' had been marriage, or having a Thai kid, I would have had different paperwork requirements. Therefore the name Non-immigrant O-retirement visa is an accurate description.
  • Like 1

In simple terms as already pointed out. Your visa is stamped used. You have an extension of stay in the kingdom. Welcome

The entry is used, I'm in country on permission to stay based on my visa. Talk about nitpicking...

Wrong!

Your extension is based on a Reason other than that you once had a visa.

"

Could be your "Extension of stay" is based on marriage,working, education, retirement ect. it is not based on a "visa"!

But you cannot get a retirement extension on a tourist visa, or an ED visa, or a visa exempt entry. You would have to get your visa converted to an O visa first.

The kinds of extension you can get is based on what kind of visa you have.

I got a non immigrant O (for Other) visa. The specific type of 'Other' is retirement. If my 'Other' had been marriage, or having a Thai kid, I would have had different paperwork requirements. Therefore the name Non-immigrant O-retirement visa is an accurate description.

Here is a picture of a single entry Non Immigrant "O" visa.

post-245122-0-42101500-1444555130_thumb.

For what reason was it issued and for what reason was an "extension of stay" subsequently obtained.

Please explain

• Like 1

Interesting. The first time I got a single entry O visa I wasn't required to provide any evidence or qualifications that I was actually going to retire in Thailand with extensions. A long time ago, yes. At my first application for my first retirement extension, I simply has an O VISA in my passport. Nothing about retirement indicated whatsoever. It was EXACTLY THE SAME as any O visa would have looked for ANY of the reasons people get them.

OP -- Is there anything written on your O visa that has the word RETIREMENT on it?

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifOvisa.jpg

For what reason was it issued and for what reason was an "extension of stay" subsequently obtained.

Please explain

It says right on the visa that it is a single entry visa. The one entry is used. The entry granted you a 90 day stay, later you could do an extension of that stay, the original stay granted by the visa.
  • Like 2

So it doesn't say retirement, correct?, so in that case functionally it is exactly the same as any O visa obtained for any or the reasons they are granted.

The extension stamps are usually stamped RETIREMENT (not retirement visa) ... but that's on extensions, not on the O visa.

Anyway, thanks for the report from Vientiane. I'm sure many people will indeed find it of use.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Interesting. The first time I got a single entry O visa I wasn't required to provide any evidence or qualifications that I was actually going to retire in Thailand with extensions. A long time ago, yes. At my first application for my first retirement extension, I simply has an O VISA in my passport. Nothing about retirement indicated whatsoever. It was EXACTLY THE SAME as any O visa would have looked for ANY of the reasons people get them.

OP -- Is there anything written on your O visa that has the word RETIREMENT on it?

Cheers.

No, but it was on the forms I turned in, it affected what papers I needed for my type of Other application. I have no doubt it is in the computer system.

Tell me does your one year extension based on retirement stamp state it is for retirement on the stamp?

attachicon.gifOvisa.jpg

Please explain

It says right on the visa that it is a single entry visa. The one entry is used. The entry granted you a 90 day stay, later you could do an extension of that stay, the original stay granted by the visa.

Ok

I understand that you do not know why it was issued and have no idea as to why an "extension of stay" was granted !

The extension of stay was NOT "granted" by the visa or the 90 day entry it allowed.

End of discussion.

attachicon.gifOvisa.jpg

Please explain

Ok

I understand that you do not know why it was issued and have no idea as to why an "extension of stay" was granted !

The extension of stay was NOT "granted" by the visa or the 90 day entry it allowed.

End of discussion.

I don't have an extension, I am currently on the 90 days that comes with the O visa, the visa which was granted because I met the requirements for "Other-Retirement", not "Other-Marriage" or any of the other "Other" types that each have different requirements. Just because the visa does not display that one O visa is different from another O visa, does not mean the distinction is not real, or that Thai Immigration is not keeping track of that.

Take for example, Franky Falang, who gets a 3 entry tourist visa in his home country. He comes to Thailand, gets extensions and uses his 3 entries and stays close to 9 months. Say Franky wants to get a retirement extension now. Well, he cannot, so long as he is on a Tourist visa. Despite using all the entries and getting all the extensions, his permission to stay is still under the rules for a Tourist visa. Tourist visa holders cannot get retirement or marriage extensions.

Franky can, however, CONVERT his Tourist visa to an O retirement visa, so long as he can turn up with the right papers for an O retirement visa. Or an O-Marriage visa if he has the right papers for that. Then AFTER the conversion, he can apply for the extension based on retirement,

The visa does not magically stop existing when all the entries are used. Why would they call it a conversion if they are not converting one thing into a different thing?

• Like 1

OP you franky are all over the shop. The members posting are EXPERTS . My self excluded . Your last post stated you are here on 90 day non imm O. That visa is USED. You have 90 day permission to stay in the kingdom. Befor that expires you need to apply for 12 month permission to stay. There are requirements for that. From then on you do not have a visa. You have an extension of stay. Stamp on my passport states Retirement. I do NOT have a retirement visa because there is no such thing. In fact I no longer have a visa.

I have 12 month permission to stay "based on retirement"

Got it?

• Like 2

OP you franky are all over the shop. The members posting are EXPERTS . My self excluded . Your last post stated you are here on 90 day non imm O. That visa is USED. You have 90 day permission to stay in the kingdom. Befor that expires you need to apply for 12 month permission to stay. There are requirements for that. From then on you do not have a visa. You have an extension of stay. Stamp on my passport states Retirement. I do NOT have a retirement visa because there is no such thing. In fact I no longer have a visa.

I have 12 month permission to stay "based on retirement"

Got it?

I've 'got it' for a long time. Only there is this movement of posters who are nitpicking on an incredibly minor point upon which they are wrong. Your permission to stay is linked to your visa, the visa does not cease to exist, nor does your visa type cease to matter as to which sorts of extensions you are eligible to get.

You can't get a 30 day tourist extension when you are on an O visa or extension...

• Like 1