Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Samui Rescue locate two tourists lost in the mountains

webfact

Samui Rescue locate two tourists lost in the mountains

sam.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- At around 10pm on Saturday 11th Samui Rescue received a report from Hanzar Hotel in Bohput Fishermans village to report that that two of their guests were lost in the mountain area between Manam and Lamai.

As soon as the calcame in all rescue teams plus other government forces such as the Royal Thai police and the Tourist police set out to search.

At around 0000 hrs team managed to speak to the lost couple from the Ukraine. With help from the GPS from the tourists phone in a Ber low reception area the Samui rescue Wat plai Leam were about to pin point their location using google maps.

At around 0100 am the team were only able to continue their search by 4×4 but spotted the couple stranded in a Toyota Vios in the middle of the mountains.

When they reached the couple they told the team that they had been in the car for a very long time and had gone to eat at the Peak Eye View Restaurant before trying to navigate their way back through the mountains.

The rescue teams brought the couple to a safe point in the road where they were greeted by about 30 concerned rescue workers, police and news teams. The couple where returned to their hotel by the police while their hire car was taken care of.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-10-12

Let's remember there was a lot of fog/ haze around on Saturday.... so that could a have been a contributing factor to finding the right road down especially in the dark... very few roads up there are marked with signs.... and some areas are very rough going even in daylight...

If I remember the Peak Eye Restaurant is up from the Lipa Noi area, ( past the Army barracks) so could have been a case of the turning the wrong way out of the restaurant ... rather going straight down to the ring road...that can be very difficult even in good day light conditions...

Kudos to the volunteer rescue teams who do all this kind of work! thumbsup.gifclap2.gifSome times they have to deal with far worse outcomes.....

Must be mentally challenged, how could anbody get lost on Ko samui, i resided there 21 years ago and walk 90% of mountains A pushbiked , this could go in the running for the darwin awards, amazing

I for one would be happy to 'get lost' with her whistling.gif

Agree . Wonder how long they would last in Alaska. What bar does she work in ? Pants any shorter she may as well be naked. Hope she avoids any temples.

Must be mentally challenged, how could anbody get lost on Ko samui, i resided there 21 years ago and walk 90% of mountains A pushbiked , this could go in the running for the darwin awards, amazing

I think we can see who is mentally challenged.

Stranded in a broken down vehicle in a very remote area, very dark and no phone. Decision, decision - stay with the vehicle or try and walk. Obviously you think that they made the wrong one.

On Sunday morning the rental company were quite upset that they had "lost" the car.

Tremendous job by the entire search team and especially Samui Rescue, am I right in assuming they are volunteers? If so it makes their action especially commendable.

While I am no expert on the terrain around here I too think it understandable that they could get lost, if you are totally unfamilliar with a location just about anything is possible.

While it is not a legal requirement I hope a decent donation was made to the volunteer organizations involved, as we can see they do a good job and can struggle for funds, I hope their efforts were recognized...

I for one would be happy to 'get lost' with her whistling.gif

Yeah... and anyone who could get lost on Koh Samui could probably be talked into getting naked in a sleeping bag and sharing body heat to stave off hypothermia (after you send the boyfriend for help).

Lets see it is an island. Go to top of mountain and look left see ocean. Now look right see ocean. Gee I wonder where the beach is?

Okay now check phone gps.

Or walk any direction until run into a 7 11.

However maybe he just wanted to get lost with the gal.clap2.gif

Let's remember there was a lot of fog/ haze around on Saturday.... so that could a have been a contributing factor to finding the right road down especially in the dark... very few roads up there are marked with signs.... and some areas are very rough going even in daylight...

If I remember the Peak Eye Restaurant is up from the Lipa Noi area, ( past the Army barracks) so could have been a case of the turning the wrong way out of the restaurant ... rather going straight down to the ring road...that can be very difficult even in good day light conditions...

Kudos to the volunteer rescue teams who do all this kind of work! thumbsup.gifclap2.gifSome times they have to deal with far worse outcomes.....

Not in maenam Jimmy; Koh Samui Hash House harriers were running on the mountaintops above soi2 and Soi3 on Saturday; clear views and no one got lost!!

Not in maenam Jimmy; Koh Samui Hash House harriers were running on the mountaintops above soi2 and Soi3 on Saturday; clear views and no one got lost!!

I bet they staggered home afterwards! Plus they have trail markers every few feet! tongue.png.... biggrin.png

I once got very lost after taking the trail bike up the mountains up near the Peak view restaurant when visiting the Tartain waterfall. Totally lost and spent a good couple of hours riding small trails trying to find the road back and it was only a small hand written sign saying Highway and an arrow that got me back on track so it is easily done.

Anyone that has been up that way will tell you that you would never think you are on Samui.

As an aside have they made the road up to the big standing Buddha better yet ? I used to love to head up there and take in the stunning views over Lamai but it was a bit of a trek especially if you were not good on a bike

How can you get lost on an island, when you have a smartphone with gps and presumably a map application on it?

Reminds me of my old girlfriend who thought we were hopelessly lost in a souq in the kasbah in Marrakesh.

I asked if she saw any westerner's skeletons laying around. She said "no", I said "then we're not lost".

Archived