Anyone use a hot plate or camping stove in a studio apartment?

WildTime

I want to cook at home but it's not easy to find an apartment with a kitchen. I want a small hot plate or camping stove and even though it's not allowed in my lease I'm hoping it won't be a problem if I do it discreetely. At the very least I should be able to blanch vegetables, boil eggs and cook sous vide, so no smells and not a lot of heat output. Ideally I would want to be able to sear meat though.

Anyone have related experience? Did your neighbors or landlord complain? Which type of stove did you use?

Hoping to get some feedback before I rush out to buy something. Thanks for reading!

Thanks a lot for some excellent advice! I half expected ridicule when asking about using a camping stove indoors but this has been really helpful.

I really had no idea a rice cooker could be so useful but I've decided on an induction plate for its versatility. Went to Big C On Nut today but they were out of the Electrolux model (1700 TBH when in stock) and they only had cheaper models at Tesco. I'm going to a different Big C later today to try to find one.

Edited by WildTime

Thanks a lot for some excellent advice! I half expected ridicule when asking about using a camping stove indoors but this has been really helpful.

I really had no idea a rice cooker could be so useful but I've decided on an induction plate for its versatility. Went to Big C On Nut today but they were out of the Electrolux model (1700 TBH when in stock) and they only had cheaper models at Tesco. I'm going to a different Big C later today to try to find one.

Another couple of things to remember............. buy a rice cooker with a "slow cook" function and you can produce some lovely soups, stews and exotic dishes (beef bourguignon/lamb shanks in red wine etc etc) so easily by pressing the slow cook function and basically leaving it for up to 4 hours.

Also remember with the induction cooker that you will need special pots and pans to work, because they will not work with those made of all aluminium. If you are keen on going down this route then search out the pots and pans which have the little induction sticker on the labels or look for those aluminium pans which have little metal "studs" embedded in the bases.

Someone once told me that if you can stick a magnet on the bottom of a pan, then it will work on an induction cooker and I think that's probably about right knowing how they work.

Good luck with your search.

When I first came to Thailand, I rented a studio apartment - just a room with a balcony and bathroom. I used a rice cooker and induction hot plate, no-one complained and I think most Thais cook in their apartments anyway. I wouldn't recommend a camping stove. Over the year I stayed there, I bought a number of appliances: a kettle, toaster, rice cooker, hot plate, microwave with grill function and a small oven from Makro. I could cook pretty much anything I wanted and once I got the oven I was making pizzas with pre-made bases from Foodland. If you find anyone complains about the smell, you could always use the balcony but I never found this to be the case.

Unfortunately I went to 3 Big C's today (on nut, ekkamai and rama) and they were all out of the Electrolux model. Tesco didn't even stock it. Another friend recommended the Electrolux as well so I'm kind of wary of buying a cheap asian brand instead. Going to keep looking for it tomorrow but if anyone has any suggestion where to find it I'm all ears, or if there's another model that's good.

Another couple of things to remember............. buy a rice cooker with a "slow cook" function and you can produce some lovely soups, stews and exotic dishes (beef bourguignon/lamb shanks in red wine etc etc) so easily by pressing the slow cook function and basically leaving it for up to 4 hours.

Also remember with the induction cooker that you will need special pots and pans to work, because they will not work with those made of all aluminium. If you are keen on going down this route then search out the pots and pans which have the little induction sticker on the labels or look for those aluminium pans which have little metal "studs" embedded in the bases.

Someone once told me that if you can stick a magnet on the bottom of a pan, then it will work on an induction cooker and I think that's probably about right knowing how they work.

Good luck with your search.

That sounds very convenient and I like doing braises. Braising meats should be pretty cheap here too, at least if I stick mostly to pork. Only downside is most studios don't have a freezer so it wouldn't be worth the time to do things like chicken stock as a base. And of course wine ain't cheap either. Maybe I can braise pork shanks in chang? tongue.png

When I first came to Thailand, I rented a studio apartment - just a room with a balcony and bathroom. I used a rice cooker and induction hot plate, no-one complained and I think most Thais cook in their apartments anyway. I wouldn't recommend a camping stove. Over the year I stayed there, I bought a number of appliances: a kettle, toaster, rice cooker, hot plate, microwave with grill function and a small oven from Makro. I could cook pretty much anything I wanted and once I got the oven I was making pizzas with pre-made bases from Foodland. If you find anyone complains about the smell, you could always use the balcony but I never found this to be the case.

Yeah I've gotten the hunch that many people cook in their apartments and I doubt the smell will bother anyone, I'm just cautious because it's technically not allowed in my lease (although I'm moving at the end of the month, I assume most places have the same contract in that regard.)

Ive used a camping stove for a couple years in small condos. Worth every penny. No problems with gas, fires anything.

It's real tempting. They're cheap as hell and they should put out more heat than induction.

Not sure why you would "want more heat than an induction" in a small apt??

Induction cookers heat food as quick as, if not quicker than gas.............and you don't have to worry about exploding gas cans. or running out of them!

Ive used a camping stove for a couple years in small condos. Worth every penny. No problems with gas, fires anything.

It's real tempting. They're cheap as hell and they should put out more heat than induction.

Induction cookers heat food as quick as, if not quicker than gas.............and you don't have to worry about exploding gas cans. or running out of them!

The constant problem when cooking at home is to produce enough heat to sear proteins rather than stew them. If ventilation wasn't a problem I would prefer gas to induction any day but like you say, I do live in a small apartment sad.png

Anyway I bought the Electrolux display unit from Big C today. Looks a bit worn but they let me turn it on to see if it works and still gave me the 2 year warranty so it should be fine. Looking forward to cooking some healthy food now!

If you are worrying about exploding gas cans....you are way overthinking things.