Gas Water Heaters

I know that not all on here have unlimited electric supply so I though my recent experience may be useful to some. We were holidaying in Phu Tub Berg and we stayed at places that had two different gas water heaters installed. Bear in mind that the 'cold' water there was quite cool.

I actually took the photos for a friend who has installed different Gas Water heaters in his Resort but is finding that he cannot turn down the heater sufficiently and guests complain that the water is too hot in any but the coolest weather.

post-17329-0-03158400-1444622119_thumb.j I quite liked this one as it had settings for either 1 or 3 burners. In addition you could adjust the gas pressure and adjust for inlet water pressure. Took a little bit of adjusting initially to get the desired temperature but after that fine. I think that if you installed this heater it would be excellent for 'cool' and 'warm' cold water supplies. Also has a water temperature readout.

post-17329-0-89203900-1444622141_thumb.j This one worked okay but the other one I though had much more adjustment I found this one on Google but not the one that I prefer.

Edited by JAS21

Gas water heaters used to be the standard here - and many people died each year as the weather got colder and they closed bathroom windows, These must exhaust outside home to be safe. And yes they normally are much too powerful for shower source without mixer tap or blocking of most heating burners (which is what we had to do 3 decades ago when we had them).

Actually most of us are using gas burners for cooking and riding in gas powered bus and taxi so expect there is more gas experience here than many other places.

Gas is completely prohibited in my condo building, as indeed it is in most (all?) others.

I dont think that gas fitters here have to go through anywhere near the level of training and qualification that they do in, say, the UK where nearly every household is connected to the mains gas supply and where gas is widely used for cooking, water heating and space heating. In the UK it's a crime to even employ a gas fitter who isnt properly qualified, and I doubt that's the case here. It all makes a lot of sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

However I don't expect to measure any. It's actually badly maintained gas burners that generate CO. And of course that is the big danger.You would know if the room was filling with CO2.

No you would likely not realize it until too late if suffering inert gas asphyxiation in a room filled with co2. It is well known that the onset of hypoxia is insiduous, and deadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before the Three Gorges dam was completed in China, cities didn't have enough electricity to support electrically powered tankless water heaters, and used gas-fired ones instead. They were vented directly to the building exterior. Now, Shanghai - and the surrounding area - has more electricity then it needs, and new condos are wired for electric-power water heaters.

Was filling is somewhat different from full ... but I'm sure that you know that.

Sorry but you are suffering a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of hypoxia. If a room was slowly filling with CO2, you would feel just fine, possibly euphoric, until you pass out and die. CO2 is used to "humanely" kill animals . And is even being considered for execution of humans in the US now that the drug companies refuse to allow their medicines to be utilized for that barbaric practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by arunsakda

Thank you for explaining that. However, whenever I have had too much CO2 in my blood I can assure you that I did not have an euphoric feeling. Quite the contrary in fact.

But I have been told, and can assure you that I have not attempted this experience myself, that short term throttling of someone whilst they are having an organism does in fact increase the amount of euphoricness (could be no such word as this) but I have been accused before now of using my own dictionary.

But we are agreed that gas heaters should be vented to the outside. But I have never experienced that here in Thailand. I also stick by my original opinion that the first water heater (the Kangpa one) is probably the preferable one.

Purely out of interest ... are you an ex-fireman?

post-17329-0-65522900-1445432772_thumb.j

It wouldn't be CO2 used for euthanasia, excess CO2 causes rapid breathing and an extremely uncomfortable feeling of suffocation.

Nitrogen would be much preferred, any other inert gas would also to the trick.

I'm not sure if I've had an "organism" JAS, even during a particularly euphoric romp tongue.png

However I don't expect to measure any. It's actually badly maintained gas burners that generate CO. And of course that is the big danger.You would know if the room was filling with CO2.

No you would likely not realize it until too late if suffering inert gas asphyxiation in a room filled with co2. It is well known that the onset of hypoxia is insiduous, and deadly.

The problem is not carbon dioxide, but carbon monoxide.

Carbon dioxide will displace oxygen in the air, leaving you short of breath. Eventually you suffocate. It used to be used for killing lab animals, but that has stopped thanks to the tremendous suffering the technique caused - particularly when done by non-experts.

Carbon monoxide binds to haemoglobin in the blood. The haemoglobin then can no longer transport oxygen around the body. The person will pass out without obvious symptoms, and then die from lack of oxygen.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel is incompletely burned when there is insufficient oxygen available for complete combustion. This can happen when water heaters are wrongly installed or poorly maintained.

My response initially was to the suggestion that one would know if a

room was filling with CO2. I don't think so.I have never been in the altitude chamber myself but

I have seen videos as part of my training. They would be comical if hypoxia was not so insidious.

What you said about Carbon Monoxide and combustion is true. Think about it next time you see a guy

with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Dumb. By the way staring this month

Carbon Monoxide monitors are required in all private rental properties in the UK.

CO2 is still used in many countries for animal slaughter. I used the word "humanely" in quotes purposely.

The amount of "dry ice" in personal carry-on baggage on commercial aircraft is limited, and it is prohibited in cargo compartments

that also carry live animales.

Edited by arunsakda

Sometimes I wish I hadn't started a topic. Blame a certain 'mod' he suggested it. By the way the n is quite close to the s on my keyboard, can I use that excuse?

Yes we all know the products of Complete (propane) Combustion are Water Vapour and Carbon Dioxide and incomplete combustion will have the added component of Carbon Monoxide and probably some soot. If you want the balanced equations feel free to google.

So a gas burner exhausting into a 'vented' room (see post #4) will increase the level of both water vapour and CO2. As pointed out by several if any of the fuel does not get mixed with enough air (oxygen) then some CO will be produced.

Beam me up Scotty whistling.gif

Edited by JAS21