My divorce experience

NCFC

The wife agreed to an uncontested divorce and so I flew back to bkk. Today went to the khet where we married, khlong san, with our marriage certificates and id. The officer wouldn't divorce us unless I go to get a translation of a letter confirming my identity, even though this is not necessary if one goes back to the original khet.

So now I have the extra hastle of getting this paperwork done plus all the extra

stress on my family who wanted to get this stuff sorted quickly all because of the stupidity of an official who doesn't know the rules of her own job.

I argued she was wrong but you can't get anywhere with these stupid people.

So if you're planning on divorce maybe you should get the letter from your embassy anyway, even if it is not strictly necessary and save yourself some hassle. Stupid country, glad to see the back of the place.

I understand your disappointment with the Thais at the office...

But if you will think back to the time you stayed in Thailand...you will remember that most everything you tried to do was made more complicated by the reams of paperwork required to satisfy some mystic Thai official...not to mention having to pay extra to get the work done quickly...

Nothing has changed much...same ole Thai way of doing business as slow, expensive, and aggravating as possible...especially if you are a farang...

Go and get it translated - whats the hassle? Many places can do this and it won't cost you a lot.

I would have thought worrying about the extra stress on your family would be the least of your concerns....given that you are divorcing them anyway.

You know what they say about divorce. The reason it's so expensive....it's worth it. In your case this minor inconvenience is all that stands in your way between you and that light at the end of the tunnel. I would have cut off one of my own limbs with a butter knife if I could have gotten away from my ex any faster. Go get a long hard massage tonight. Get your translation tomorrow and go enjoy the rest of your life.

I got uncontested divorce earlier in year, i forgot to bring marriage certificate to BKK, so had to go police station to say i had lost it, got a police certificate, went to original khet, got two motorbike taxi drivers to be witnesses, signed all the documents, and now divorced. All done in around two hours. As we are still friends we went out to a bar to "celibrate" !!!

So I made an appointment with the embassy to get a letter confirming my identity and in the meantime the wife phoned another khet who said yeah dont bother with all that translation stuff. Come along tomorrow and do the divorce. Which we did and I'm now a free man.

You keep saying "Translation is not necessary" How do you know this?? Have you been divorced in Thailand a few times before?? Get iot translated, go back with smiles on your face and get it done. coffee1.gif

I've been a witness at divorce several times (as both witness and Thai speaker).

No documents of any kind are required to be translated.

What's needed,

Him, his passport, his copy of the Thai marriage certificate, his witness. (either foreigner or witness must speak Thai)

Her, her ID card, her Tabian Baan book, her copy of the Thai marriage certificate, her witness.

That is the official requirement.