Ban on Turkeys.... the fowl that is

Gonzo the Face

I've never had a Norbest -- always Butterball, so we'll see. Maybe after having the Norbest this year, I may be seriously considering contracting for four locally raised turkeys next year. Actually, more. We really could use four for Thanksgiving, four for Christmas and four for an extra made up holiday we throw celebrate in early February -- i.e. the end of the season when it's still cool enough you still feel like slaving away in the kitchen. By then, our freezers are way full, too.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a Norbest -- always Butterball, so we'll see. Maybe after having the Norbest this year, I may be seriously considering contracting for four locally raised turkeys next year. Actually, more. We really could use four for Thanksgiving, four for Christmas and four for an extra made up holiday we throw celebrate in early February -- i.e. the end of the season when it's still cool enough you still feel like slaving away in the kitchen. By then, our freezers are way full, too.

Crikey - where I come from that's 12 years worth of turkey in 3 months. You must be stuffed! :)

Crikey - where I come from that's 12 years worth of turkey in 3 months. You must be stuffed! smile.png

No that's for three couples and most of it goes in our freezers.

Rim Ping will only cook turkeys to order if you order several at once. In the U.S. we ate turkey about 5 - 6 times a month. Not the whole bird, mine you, but I'd roast a turkey leg or get turkey sausage or buy ground turkey. Here, all you can get are those tasteless boneless white meat turkey breast roasts. It no wonder people don't like turkey. They don't really get to enjoy being offering in forms you can use.

Edited by NancyL

Nancy, your level of turkey consumption makes you something of a connoisseur.

Have you actually tried locally raised turkeys ? The reason I ask is that a good friend who has tried them was critical of the quality - "tough as old boots, will only buy imports in future...."

He may have been unlucky but I am sure you are qualified to make a decent assessment.

Have you actually tried locally raised turkeys ? The reason I ask is that a good friend who has tried them was critical of the quality - "tough as old boots, will only buy imports in future...."

He may have been unlucky but I am sure you are qualified to make a decent assessment.

I wouldn't describe myself as a turkey connoisseur, just someone who used turkey as a staple meat, in much the same way the Thai people use chicken. It's a low fat, high protein meat with more flavor than chicken, IMHO.

I'n be interested in trying locally grown turkey. Problem is, I don't have a large oven, so my source of supply has to be already cooked whole turkeys. I guess if the price was right, I could buy a locally grown uncooked turkey and butcher it into sections that would work in my oven. I guess I'd have to buy a meat grinder, to produce ground turkey, which really makes a nice meatloaf. Just seems like a lot of work for something that I suspect is going to taste like the wild turkey from our farm in Michigan -- i.e. not worth the mess and bother when Butterballs were available from the grocery store in town.

Edited by NancyL

I wouldn't describe myself as a turkey connoisseur, just someone who used turkey as a staple meat, in much the same way the Thai people use chicken. It's a low fat, high protein meat with more flavor than chicken, IMHO.

I'n be interested in trying locally grown turkey. Problem is, I don't have a large oven, so my source of supply has to be already cooked whole turkeys. I guess if the price was right, I could buy a locally grown uncooked turkey and butcher it into sections that would work in my oven. I guess I'd have to buy a meat grinder, to produce ground turkey, which really makes a nice meatloaf. Just seems like a lot of work for something that I suspect is going to taste like the wild turkey from our farm in Michigan -- i.e. not worth the mess and bother when Butterballs were available from the grocery store in town.

Do the butterballs you get come with ground meat for sausage?

No, of course not Northern John. Ground turkey and turkey sausage are things of the past. Always available in our local grocery store in Michigan, but not here. Well, actually, there was turkey sausage available for a time a few years ago at Rim Ping, but I haven't seen recently.

Just check out all the turkey products that Butterball offers: http://www.butterball.com/products

Rim Ping could easily put together an entire shipping container of these treats.

And to think, some of you wonder how we could eat turkey every week! How could we not eat it, when it was available in so many tasty, low calorie, low fat, easy-to-prepare forms?

Edited by NancyL

We raised turkeys for a while but ours were a bit on the tough side as well. Probably because they were free range, unlike those raised in factory-confined conditions.

Might check here, popped up on my Facebook page - Chiang Mai Smoke House

Wholesale & Retail
We do Catering Big or Small.
We ship everywhere in Thailand
We have a limited number of Turkeys available for the holidays please book early to avoid disappointment.
Always call first if you want to stop by to make sure someone is there to help you

Just got back from Rim Ping at Maya Mall. They have two Norbest turkeys -- same batch as the ones I bought from Rim Ping Nim City, placed in the store on Oct 22. 350 baht/kilo. Also they have at least 10 - 12 Butterball frozen boneless turkey breast roasts, dates from May and June, for 450 baht/kilo. None of the roasts that are mixed white and dark meat. I took everyone out looking for a mixed meat roast. Just gotta have some dark meat.

Didn't buy any turkey, just making a report.

Just got back from Rim Ping at Maya Mall. They have two Norbest turkeys -- same batch as the ones I bought from Rim Ping Nim City, placed in the store on Oct 22. 350 baht/kilo. Also they have at least 10 - 12 Butterball frozen boneless turkey breast roasts, dates from May and June, for 450 baht/kilo. None of the roasts that are mixed white and dark meat. I took everyone out looking for a mixed meat roast. Just gotta have some dark meat.

Didn't buy any turkey, just making a report.

Interesting read Nancy. For those that are interested and may not keep records of past expenses, last year the going price for Butterball turkeys was 175 baht per kilo Now even Norbest [not Butterball] is 350 B/P/H .... Example of supply and demand at its finest.

When I see those bare breasts, I wonder where their dark meat went.

Since this meat-package cannot swallow hard food, we wonder if there is some upcoming buffet, or event, where one could get a plate of turkey dressing mixed with the whole turkey drippings (from a turkey roasted with all its parts intact except the obvious.

Happy Samhain !

~o:37;

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any last word on this???? Like they saw some turkeys looking for someone to buy them and take them home........

I just don't feel right having a Thanksgiving dinner featuring a Pork Knuckle. What would the Indians or Pilgrims feel about the younger generations.

I wish there was a ban on turkeys in CM and support all immigration's efforts to get rid of them.

Just let us Americans out a week before Thanksgiving and we'll bag all the Turkey's you show us.

"Seems there are fewer CM TV members around in December."

"Yeah, they let the Yanks out to go Turkey hunting before Thanksgiving. CEC had a great dinner though!"

"Really, I noticed the Promanade wasn't as crowded either."

"<whistling> Really?" Coincidence maybe."

NancyL

If it is a true Norbest from Utah, it will probably be all white meat. Utah is the whitest state in the US. biggrin.png

David

I found two frozen turkeys at Rim Ping Nim City on Friday around 5 pm. The date on their tags were 22-10-2558, so they are new arrivals. Norbest from Utah. That's in the U.S., but maybe it's one of the states not affected by the poultry problems. Always in the past I've purchased Butterballs, but beggars can't be choosers. 350 baht/kilo.

They were the only two turkeys in the store, but the display section for turkey was small. Perhaps they were the initial scouts and more will follow. I hope so, because I really need a couple more.

The real challenge was in was trying to explain to the so-called customer service personnel that I wanted the purchase them now, but have Rim Ping hold and cook them for pick-up on Thanksgiving. They do this every year, but they must have had their "B-team management" on duty for a Friday evening. I had resorted to putting the two frozen turkeys into a shopping cart, because they couldn't even fathom what a nok "turkey" was without a visual aid. Despite my flawless Thai and efforts to try to find help within their deli department, I wasn't making much progress. At one point, they said I had to take them over to their Narawat store. (yeah, sure -- anything to get rid of the crazy farang lady going on about some American holiday.) Finally, a kindly, mature cashier who had obviously worked in the store for years had the courage to step in to contradict her younger superiors and explain that yes, the store did indeed cook turkeys every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and then proceeded to thumb thru forms in their little office area until she found the correct one. She also told them who to call at another Rim Ping store for a complete explanation. Whew!

I think we got all the paperwork done and the turkeys back in the freezer before they were totally thawed.

Better call Rimping in the morning the day you need them.

Last year they forgot my roast pork, so I bought steaks for Christmas dinner. Rimping only said: Sorry!

Now I totally understand capitalism....free market economies and supply and demand. I also recognize rape in the form of scalping on a scale never seen before. Not sure about Chiangmai, but in neighboring Chiangrai...the lovely top foods there has available to any and all suckers (read farangs from amelika especially) two ButterBall turkeys (oh...the only ones by the way, so they hope), both a wee bit over 6 kg....for over 800 THB/kg....that's right....5000+ Thai smackeros .....dig deep folks....because if you go along with this, you can be assured of physical violation...you'll only feel it when you try to sit down. I truly hope they choke to death on those, but I know...they won't.

Fortunately...I live in an ag area, and have been feeding ducks and chickens for far too long, to not let them pay me back now. This Thanksgiving holiday will give way to alternatives for sure. And I thought paying around 1000 THB last year was a joke....5-5-5. Not sure what the other places are going to offer if they have any at all....I realize a corporation that decides to put their retail GROCERY stores in a frikken shopping mall to begin with, is going to be charging (screwing buyers) the most they possibly can. Another reason I personally, never trade with those pirates. Happy Thanksgiving to all, even if you celebrate it with a can of sardines. pg

I have never heard of anyone getting hooked on turkey, but I guess that NancyL must suffer serious withdrawal problems if the bird isn't on her plate! We've even enjoyed a lecture on nutrition! Well, fair or fowl, it is close to Christmas so, Rimping, keep those birds flying into the freezer to feed the desperate American expatriate community !!

By comparison....I am currently visiting relatives in the USA and was shopping in a grocery store today. Thanksgiving turkeys - and there were several freezer cases full of them - were selling for 69 cents/pound. That's roughly $14 US (or about 500 thb) for a 20 pound turkey. So much for the "avian flu in the US is driving up turkey prices" theory.

If you still don't think the vendors in Chiang Mai are ripping off the mooks then think again. (800 thb/kg, lol....for turkey, of all things!)

Edited by TheAppletons