Ban on Turkeys.... the fowl that is

Gonzo the Face

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't take it. From time to time, I check out the Facebook site of the people who bought our litttle 10 acre farmstead 8 years ago in Michigan. That 10 acres was the remains of a much bigger farmstead on the fringes of the Detroit-Ann Arbor area (really Ann Arbor) It was pretty run down when Hubby and I bought it and refurbished the buildings and opened a greenhouse/nursery business that became a "destination shopping location" for people into winter-hardy rose bushes. (Yeah I know this is really a specialized niche, but you wouldn't believe how many people scheduled holidays around coming to shop with us and the nearby outlet store for Eddie Bauer and Ikea -- we had a good freeway location) https://www.facebook.com/taylor.ford.33821/videos/1490690817875323/

I can't stand it. There are turkeys engaging in sex play in front of a structure Hubby built and painted.

I should be able to eat them!

• 2 weeks later...

RimPing Meechok Plaza, had several Norbest Turkeys in freezer

today,price 500 THB Kg.,so they have them, but price has increased

considerably.

regards Worgeordie

In desperation I left word with the Rimping Meechok to call me when their inbound turkeys arrived..... they called about 4 -5 days before Thankgsgiving.... I went out the next day and saw that the were 499 per kilo , Norbest, so I called off the Thanksgiving Dinner we usually prepare. To those who were calling, emailing or otherwise asking about TG Dinner my sincere apologies. And I do sincerely thank you for thinking of us for this holiday. This year Norbest at Rimping 499 b/p/k..... last year Butterball 175 baht per kilo...... I just could not see playing that game..... also now I will be shopping a lot less at Rimping, thanks to this little exercise. A little guy pulling a price supply and demand gouge, maybe ok, but a big chain like Rimping or any other..... NO WAY So in deference to the turkeys..... Rimping can , Get Stuffed .....an that is my boycotte recommendation to all those who use or used to use this chain.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

considerably.

regards Worgeordie

In desperation I left word with the Rimping Meechok to call me when their inbound turkeys arrived..... they called about 4 -5 days before Thankgsgiving.... I went out the next day and saw that the were 499 per kilo , Norbest, so I called off the Thanksgiving Dinner we usually prepare. To those who were calling, emailing or otherwise asking about TG Dinner my sincere apologies. And I do sincerely thank you for thinking of us for this holiday. This year Norbest at Rimping 499 b/p/k..... last year Butterball 175 baht per kilo...... I just could not see playing that game..... also now I will be shopping a lot less at Rimping, thanks to this little exercise. A little guy pulling a price supply and demand gouge, maybe ok, but a big chain like Rimping or any other..... NO WAY So in deference to the turkeys..... Rimping can , Get Stuffed .....an that is my boycotte recommendation to all those who use or used to use this chain.

Maybe they had to fly them in,so they would have some for Christmas,that would explain a price rise,

but they should explain why last year 175 THB Kg,this year 499 THB, thats a huge increase.

regards worgeordie P.S. I don't think RimPing is the importer,maybe Makro,CP, so if they paid more they would have to sell more expensive,so don't think a boycott is in order.

Edited by worgeordie

considerably.

regards Worgeordie

Maybe they had to fly them in,so they would have some for Christmas,that would explain a price rise,

but they should explain why last year 175 THB Kg,this year 499 THB, thats a huge increase.

regards worgeordie P.S. I don't think RimPing is the importer,maybe Makro,CP, so if they paid more they would have to sell more expensive,so don't think a boycott is in order.

Boycott the turkey! Crispy roast pork for us, with home made apple sauce, sweet potatoes for Xmas smile.png

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On October 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM, NancyL said:

I found two frozen turkeys at Rim Ping Nim City on Friday around 5 pm. The date on their tags were 22-10-2558, so they are new arrivals. Norbest from Utah. That's in the U.S., but maybe it's one of the states not affected by the poultry problems. Always in the past I've purchased Butterballs, but beggars can't be choosers. 350 baht/kilo.

They were the only two turkeys in the store, but the display section for turkey was small. Perhaps they were the initial scouts and more will follow. I hope so, because I really need a couple more.

The real challenge was in was trying to explain to the so-called customer service personnel that I wanted the purchase them now, but have Rim Ping hold and cook them for pick-up on Thanksgiving. They do this every year, but they must have had their "B-team management" on duty for a Friday evening. I had resorted to putting the two frozen turkeys into a shopping cart, because they couldn't even fathom what a nok "turkey" was without a visual aid. Despite my flawless Thai and efforts to try to find help within their deli department, I wasn't making much progress. At one point, they said I had to take them over to their Narawat store. (yeah, sure -- anything to get rid of the crazy farang lady going on about some American holiday.) Finally, a kindly, mature cashier who had obviously worked in the store for years had the courage to step in to contradict her younger superiors and explain that yes, the store did indeed cook turkeys every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and then proceeded to thumb thru forms in their little office area until she found the correct one. She also told them who to call at another Rim Ping store for a complete explanation. Whew!

I think we got all the paperwork done and the turkeys back in the freezer before they were totally thawed.

This year is BE 2559 already